Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin O'Neill resigns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Would he be technically (betting wise) first manager of the season to be fired or what? Seeing as the season hasn't started yet?
    AFAIK the market is for who leaves first, not necessarily during the actual season, so I'd say it would pay out though I could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

JPA wrote: »
    Maybe that's his aim but in terms of money invested we have been doing very very well to be competing at all with the like of City and Spurs with the money they have invested.
    So would a new manager do as well with the same level of investment?

The thing is the new manager probably has a better base than MON had to build on but equally Villa has underachieved in the league in the season prior to him arriving.

However it's not just a question of more incremental money => more success.
    i.e £50m invested in Blackpool would nearly guarantee a return in jumping up the league table whereas at the top end of the table it's a lot harder.

If someone like Pellegrino/Hitzfeld came in and was given say £80m to spend over the next few years, I'd say the chances of acheiving a top four finish would increase quite a bit

However if someone like Klinsmann came in I could see it decreasing and the odds of falling down the table increasing.

I think an awful lot depends on what level of success Randy wants from the club and what he is prepared to invest to achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Yaaaaaaaaay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

bijapos wrote: »
    **** Me!

A few weeks earlier and he would be in Anfield.

Thank God for Roy then... would have hated MON as 'Pool boss

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Plenty of people on Villatalk slating MON.

I have to say, I have a feeling Lerner and Co. are the ones who have f**ked up here, I never bought int the cheesey american sh!te him and Crulak spouted.

O'neil hasn't got a hidden agenda, he wants to go down as the greatest football manager ever, Lerner wants money! I also remeber reading a few things about the Cleevland Browns, and their fans not being to happy with Lerner.

The Yanks havent got a great track record of running football clubs either! looks like Lerner could follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The thing is the new manager probably has a better base than MON had to build on but equally Villa has underachieved in the league in the season prior to him arriving.

However it's not just a question of more incremental money => more success.
    i.e £50m invested in Blackpool would nearly guarantee a return in jumping up the league table whereas at the top end of the table it's a lot harder.

If someone like Pellegrino/Hitzfeld came in and was given say £80m to spend over the next few years, I'd say the chances of acheiving a top four finish would increase quite a bit

However if someone like Klinsmann came in I could see it decreasing and the odds of falling down the table increasing.

I think an awful lot depends on what level of success Randy wants from the club and what he is prepared to invest to achieve that.

What is your argument? I believe if MON had stayed and was given that kind of investment you mentioned there would also be a good chance of finishing 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Helix wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaay!

I'll bet you're happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Yaaaaaaaaay!

You honestly can't be that happy about this. I know you wanted MON out, but for it to happen 5 days before the start of the season, with it looking like Milner still leaving but Ireland not coming in is leaving us and the new manager with a lot of problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yaaaaaaaaay!
    I quoting this and posting it when you get your new manager.:)

• Advertisement

What is your argument? I believe if MON had stayed and was given that kind of investment you mentioned there would also be a good chance of finishing 4th.

My argument is that I don't think Randy believed MON was the best man to give this sort of money to.

Randy sat down and said if I am going to spend another £50m bolstering the squad is MON the best man for the job.

Yaaaaaaaaay!

Really? No Ireland coming in now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yaaaaaaaaay!

atleast reserve celebration until Villa have replaced him and havent had a terrible start to the season (not saying that will happen) If we get in a top quality manager and not a Dave O'Leary (wont be him) then you can of course start saying its great news, cos otherwise it just leaves us managerless and without any new signings a few days before the season starts.

My argument is that I don't think Randy believed MON was the best man to give this sort of money to.

Randy sat down and said if I am going to spend another £50m bolstering the squad is MON the best man for the job.

Ok, so you think another manager will get more investment then?

Ok, so you think another manager will get more investment then?

I'd be very surprised if the new manager didn't get additional money compared to what MON would have got over the next two years.

Normally a new manager gets funds to restructure a squad.

At a guess I'd expect the new manager to have say £10m extra over what MON would have got before the summer window closes.

The new manager has no responsibilty for Davies, Harewood, Shorey, NRC, L Young who cost somewhere in the region of £25m to £30m even before you take into account thier wages so I could see Lerner at least partially writing them off as MON's mistakes.

The feeling I got was that MON was operating under the buy-to-sell this summer because Lerner pretty much said I've backed you with a nice wodge of cash since I got here, you need to clear out your bad buys who are taking of a fairly hefty percent of the wage budget for doing very little before I'll consider investing extra money.

Would be pretty harsh to take the same line with a new manager.

Could be completely wrong on this but it's not like Randy has run out of cash or fallen out of love with Villa. I would expect it's an issue with MON and this is mainly the reason MON has moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

eagle eye wrote: »
    If he was hired as Liverpool manager you would have had a fit imo.

The Aston Villa job is as big as the Liverpool job right now.

muhahahahahahahahaha!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if the new manager didn't get additional money compared to what MON would have got over the next two years.

Normally a new manager gets funds to restructure a squad.

At a guess I'd expect the new manager to have say £10m extra over what MON would have got before the summer window closes.

The new manager has no responsibilty for Davies, Harewood, Shorey, NRC, L Young who cost somewhere in the region of £25m to £30m even before you take into account thier wages so I could see Lerner at least partially writing them off as MON's mistakes.

The feeling I got was that MON was operating under the buy-to-sell this summer because Lerner pretty much said I've backed you with a nice wodge of cash since I got here, you need to clear out your bad buys who are taking of a fairly hefty percent of the wage budget for doing very little before I'll consider investing extra money.

Would be pretty harsh to take the same line with a new manager.

Could be completely wrong on this but it's not like Randy has run out of cash or fallen out of love with Villa. I would expect it's an issue with MON and this is mainly the reason MON has moved on.

I'd pretty much hope you are right as it would help the situation (depending on who the new manager is) but I also feel that Lerner has reigned it in from a business point of view at least for this summer. He's trying to get the wages down a bit and with additional income over the next year will go back to investing next summer.

Maybe O'Neill leaving will force him to change his plan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Martin O' Neill's value to Villa may only be realised now that he's gone; bad news for the club IMO. Not only his departure, but disaterous timing. It might well confirm the departure of Milner, and without a manager it could be very difficult to bring anyone in with the cash they get from the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Not good.

Without a high-profile replacement that could be the beginning of the end of that squad. Milner going, what odds of Ash Young leaving in the next year? What chance have we got of Stephen Ireland joining a managerless club???

... It's a situation I can only see getting worse before it gets any better.

Not one of the managers mentioned so far is as good as O'Neill.

Massive mistake.

No Ireland coming in now.

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

5 Live have reported that O'Neil left as he didn't want Friedel to be sold to Fulham as part of the move that would take Schwarzer to the Emirates.

• Advertisement

Why not?

VT source said deal for Ireland was off now. MM later said it was not.
    greendom wrote: »
    5 Live have reported that O'Neil left as he didn't want Friedel to be sold to Fulham as part of the move that would take Schwarzer to the Emirates.

Why would Freidel go there? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Why not?

Early reports seemed to indicate that the deal was off for Ireland, but it's now looking like it might happen or at least MM said it was still on.

As for why it might not happen, Ireland might not want to go to a club with no manager

We wont have no manager forever like lol. Jol in please

We wont have no manager forever like lol. Jol in please

MON is a big draw for players, surprising as that maybe to you. I reckon we are a less attractive prospect now.

And I couldn't see Jol leaving after the massive fuss when Fulham tried to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Haven't Ajax refused outright to enter into talks about Jol leaving. He has said he won't be leaving as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

i hear phil brown has finished his gardening leave at hull ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Why not?

???? Anything that's been done thus far to bring Stephen Ireland to Villa was down to MON. MON is gone. The goalposts have been moved on that deal.

Pity hughes and woy are gone. Why didnt you do the decent thing and walk in may martin

wynters wrote: »
    ???? Anything that's been done thus far to bring Stephen Ireland to Villa was down to MON. MON is gone. The goalposts have been moved on that deal.

Mon played no part in the negotiations, as he said himself.

Pity hughes and woy are gone. Why didnt you do the decent thing and walk in may martin
    Man you are insufferable. You never liked him and now you want to attack him for not leaving in May, when its clear that this happened over something very recent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Reliable source tells me the main reason is they were indeed trying to sell Friedel to Fulham

Mon played no part in the negotiations, as he said himself.

So it was Lerner that wanted Ireland was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Arsenal's wage structure weakens your argument though.
    The Arsenal wage bill is £110 million a year, the Villa wage bill is £70 million. Also, you have to remember that Wenger has had 15 years to build the club structure around him and inherited the bones of a good team.

When O'Neill took over, he had a team of relegation battlers on his books.
    Sure more money for wages would help but MON being better in the transfer market would help too.
    The most he's spent on a player has been £12 million. In the Premier League, that kind of spending is not good enough for a top 4 position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Just getting home now and am totally shocked by this news :eek:

My gut reaction was that an offer for Young had been excepted by the board and that MON walked over that but obviously nobody knows for sure. It will be interesting to hear the actually facts of this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Reportedly he left because he wanted all the funds from the Milner sale and the board refused this. Is it me or are managers starting to become like the overpaid players - something goes amiss and they throw the toys out of the pram. Who's hiring who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The Arsenal wage bill is £110 million a year, the Villa wage bill is £70 million. Also, you have to remember that Wenger has had 15 years to build the club structure around him and inherited the bones of a good team.

When O'Neill took over, he had a team of relegation battlers on his books.

The most he's spent on a player has been £12 million. In the Premier League, that kind of spending is not good enough for a top 4 position.

Everton??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Paddy Power Odds

No Gordon Strachan?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Bob Bradley the fav to be new boss:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Reliable source tells me the main reason is they were indeed trying to sell Friedel to Fulham
    Sure they would have gotten feck all for him. In he on mega wages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

What are the odds of Sven-Göran Eriksson getting the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Sure they would have gotten feck all for him. In he on mega wages?

I think it has more to do with the deal being done behind MON's back as opposed to the money Friedel would be worth or the wages he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Apparently he resigned over his relations with Randy the owner. During the summer Lerner refused him permission to speak to Joe Duffy on liveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Raekwon wrote: »
    What are the odds of Sven-Göran Eriksson getting the job?

Hopefully slim, very slim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Warper wrote: »
    Everton??
    That was 6 years ago now. The top 4 has pretty much been dominated by the same teams. The only one to have broken into that position have been Chelsea, and look at how much money they needed to do it.

If Randy Lerner wants Villa to be consistently in the top 4 he'll need to spend £100 million this season and probably another £100 million next season.

So it was Lerner that wanted Ireland was it?

Mon wanted him, but so will our next manager. We wont drop it coz no deal has walked

• Advertisement

Mon wanted him, but so will our next manager. We wont drop it coz no deal has walked
    Well on 5 live it was said that he didn't want him but he was being forced on him as part of the Milner deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

foxerv1 wrote: »
    I think it has more to do with the deal being done behind MON's back as opposed to the money Friedel would be worth or the wages he gets.
    So bascally it was a pointless deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

MON resigning caim as a shock to the players it seems.

Cuellar just posted this on his Twitter
    "know nothing about the gaffer leaved the club,I know just say the sky news :-( "

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    So bascally it was a pointless deal.

I think Friedel gets good wages, 50 k or something, maybe they were interested in removing his high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

shoutman wrote: »
    MON resiging claim as a shock to the players it seems.

Cuellar just posted this on his Twitter
    " know nothing about the gaffer leaved the club,I know just say the sky news :-( "

This is funny when read in a Manuel voice from Fawlty Towers :)

manuel_ds.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement