Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1993 Civic engine swap

• 09-08-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

So basically looking for advice..

My friend has 2 civics..one is a 1.5 the other a 1.5 Vtec..basically he blow the 1.5..I was wonder how much work would be involved in transferring the 1.5 Vtec into the other civic..

1. Would it need an ECU change?
    2. Would the transmission need to be changed?
    3. Would this be possible for a total novice to attempted?
    4. Any sites, Forums or videos that would help if i did decide to give it a go..

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

A few friends of mine have done this (swapped B16 VTEC's into 1.3DX's for rally cars) and from conversations, the following will have to be changed.

Dash Clocks
    ECU
    Wiring Loom
    Gearbox plus wiring (for speed sensor - VTEC only works when the car is moving)
    Engine
    exhaust manifold

If it's a dual carb 1.5, you'll have to change fuel tank/pump, exhaust, high pressure fuel lines (have fun ripping out the interior - the last Civic I saw had the fuel lines in the cabin).

The rad/engine mounts/driveshafts may have to be changed, along with the hubs (there are different spline counts on driveshafts in Civics).

Also, if one a a JDM and the other is a European car, I'd nearly say forget it. I've seen the heartache that these swaps have seen with the VTEC refusing to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Thanks for the reply..

Sounds like it will be more work then i first thought..

Although i will have the Dash Clocks, ECU, Wiring Loom, Gearbox and wiring, Engine and exhaust manifold from the civic with the Vtec in it??

Need to do a lot more research into this before i even think about starting..

I'm nearly sure it's not dual carb so will that mean fuel tank/pump, exhaust, high pressure fuel lines won't have to be altered??

Advertisement