Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten attacked by dog.

Options
  • 09-08-2010 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Our dog(terrier) got in about 10 minutes ago and attacked one of the kittens(5 days old).
    He was bleeding badly and was bitten on his stomach,he doesn't seem well,the bleeding has stopped and we've left him with the mother for now.
    Is there any hope of him surviving?Will the vet do anything apart from putting him down because he's fairly badly injured.
    :(

Edit : Just rang the vets and they said there's not much they can do because he's so young.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd still rather have him PTS than leave him suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Unfortunately the stomach is a very tender area and the vital organs are quite easily reached by a predator.

If I was you I'd bring the kitten to the vet to have it checked out. It may not be serious, but there could be serious internal damage done to the kitten and it may be in a lot of pain. Even if the vet can't treat the injury, maybe he'd be able to give it something for the pain if you don't want to put it down. However, if it's seriously injured, putting it down would probably be the kindest thing to do for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please bring this kitten to the vet ASAP!! The poor thing is probably suffering so the least you can do is put it out of its misery rather than suffer for hours in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Didn't see you had edited your post until after I'd posted. If they can't do anything for him, maybe you should ask them to either treat the pain or put him down. It would be kinder for him.

It's such an awful thing to have happen, and the feeling of helplessness is the worst thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Where was the mother in all this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Toulouse wrote: »
    I'd still rather have him PTS than leave him suffer.
    andreac wrote: »
    Please bring this kitten to the vet ASAP!! The poor thing is probably suffering so the least you can do is put it out of its misery rather than suffer for hours in pain.
    convert wrote: »
    Didn't see you had edited your post until after I'd posted. If they can't do anything for him, maybe you should ask them to either treat the pain or put him down. It would be kinder for him.

It's such an awful thing to have happen, and the feeling of helplessness is the worst thing.

Okay,I suppose it would probably be best.:(
    PCros wrote: »
    Where was the mother in all this?

Eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

storm2811 wrote: »
    Okay,I suppose it would probably be best.:(

Eating.

No suppose about it, you cannot leave an animal to suffer like that just because the vet said nothing can be done. The poor thing could survive for few more days with serious injuries but suffering all the time.

It needs to be put down humanely if it cannot be treated so the sooner you get the kitten to the vets the better for the poor little thing.

andreac wrote: »
    No suppose about it, you cannot leave an animal to suffer like that just because the vet said nothing can be done. The poor thing could survive for few more days with serious injuries but suffering all the time.

It needs to be put down humanely if it cannot be treated so the sooner you get the kitten to the vets the better for the poor little thing.

Yes,I gathered that.
    I'll ring the vets now.

He's gone.:(
    He didn't suffer for long anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

:(

Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sorry :(

Thanks,I've never been this sad when I lost a pet before.
    Had to be done though,didn't want him to suffer like everyone said.

Advertisement