Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving in Europe

• 09-08-2010 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I’ve heard a few different things about regulations for driving in Europe, particularly France. Things like you must have spare bulb and fuse kit, hi-vis vest, warning triangle and things like that.
    Could anyone tell me is this just for cars or is it for bikes as well and is there any other things I need to bring.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Tearaway

Riding in France is a pure joy - motorist treat bikes with respect, moving out of the way when filtering etc. If you're in Germany it's illegal to filter, and Italy is just a free for all.

You'll need the kit alright - enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I'd love to drive around a bit of Europe at some point. Can I ask: How difficult is it getting used to driving on the right-hand side of the road? Is it easy enough (other than when you're on a motorway, when I'd imagine it's ok) to get to the places in cities you'd be staying in and all that? Just read "Uneasy Rider" (by Mike Carter) and "The long Way Round" - seems like a f**kin dream of sorts. I'd love to do it someday. As a sidenote, do you have to ride a BMW to do it? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

HFB wrote: »
    I’ve heard a few different things about regulations for driving in Europe, particularly France. Things like you must have spare bulb and fuse kit, hi-vis vest, warning triangle and things like that.
    Could anyone tell me is this just for cars or is it for bikes as well and is there any other things I need to bring.
    Thanks

Heard it said you require them but have never been asked to produce or show them in either spain or france.Been stopped twice,both times in spain on the same journey but I put it down to being on a UK reg bike,they hate the english for some reason ;).About the most important thing to have with you is all your documents and passport,it makes things way way easier should you be stopped for anything.Other than that,watch out for the toll roads,some of them base the price of the toll at the end on your average speed through the tolled road,the faster you go the more you pay.
    EGOSHEA wrote: »
    I'd love to drive around a bit of Europe at some point. Can I ask: How difficult is it getting used to driving on the right-hand side of the road? Is it easy enough (other than when you're on a motorway, when I'd imagine it's ok) to get to the places in cities you'd be staying in and all that? Just read "Uneasy Rider" (by Mike Carter) and "The long Way Round" - seems like a f**kin dream of sorts. I'd love to do it someday. As a sidenote, do you have to ride a BMW to do it? :p

After you get your first scare coming onto a roundabout the wrong way it wakes you up no end :D.From there on it's like everything else,you're learning as you go along and before long it'll become second nature to you.As for going on a trip,any bike will do a trip.There's a girl in Galway that did all of south america on an xr125,nick saunders did the world on an R1.If you are able to ride a bike you are able to explore.:)

Advertisement