Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin O Neill quits / Young to Spurs the final straw.

Options
  • 09-08-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

MON has quit Villa. Im told its because Young wants to go to us and MON was having none of it. The board feel its too good to turn down. Im sure more will come out soon but my man inside at Villa is keeping me posted ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The main soccer board has gone into overdrive on this one.

Jol is heavily backed @ 5/1

Surely Villa weren't going to sell Young AND Milner.
    No wonder he left, €50 million and he'd probably only get a fraction of that to replace them.

Still, Villa's lose might be our gain. Apart from Young, is there anyone else we'd be interested in?

Carew? Reo-croker?
    Is Luke Young still there... he'd be a decent back-up to charlie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Still, Villa's lose might be our gain. Apart from Young, is there anyone else we'd be interested in?

Carew? Reo-croker?
    Is Luke Young still there... he'd be a decent back-up to charlie

Curtis Davies was linked with us earlier in the summer I think

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

I guess Robbie will be staying put so. That can only be good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 schlumpfine

So anyway the rumour ( nothing confirmed ) is that it was nothing to do with Young coming to Spurs at all. The rumour is that he actually resigned last Sunday over lots of different things but was kept quite till today to allow for Lerner to be out of the country - as planned - today. He's in the states at the moment , hence the Bob Bradley thing!

If I find out anymore I'll post it ;)

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The post above was mine. I never twiged that the missus was still logged on and I just posted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Saab Ed wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The post above was mine. I never twiged that the missus was still logged on and I just posted. :D
    I was wondering who the new poster was,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Lokks like Bradley from US is the fav for job now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

kakee wrote: »
    I guess Robbie will be staying put so. That can only be good for us.
    How? He's by far our worst striker, all he does is moan and complain to the referee, release him I say.
    I don't know why everyone is linking us with Young, I'm not saying its untrue or that he's bad, but we already have Kranjkar, Lennon, Bale and Bentley (anyone what the story with O' Hara is?). And with Lennon our best winger, if Young came he would probably start with Lennon and Modric in the middle, sure we'd never get away with that in a physical League like the Premiership. We should concentrate on getting centre-halves. Woodgate is finished, King cant play consecutive games (well, we all know why) and IMO Dawson and Bassong arent good enough for a top 4 club:p! Collins or Dunne would be a great buy but I seriously doubt Villa are going to sell anyone now that O' Neill has left. And I think the rest of our squad is strong enough to challenge for CL football again provided Defoe picks up from where he left off last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I dont think ashley young is better than anyone we have at the moment..Kepp the 18mil in your back pocket levy and get us a top top draw centre half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

THFC wrote: »
    How? He's by far our worst striker, all he does is moan and complain to the referee, release him I say.
    I don't know why everyone is linking us with Young, I'm not saying its untrue or that he's bad, but we already have Kranjkar, Lennon, Bale and Bentley (anyone what the story with O' Hara is?). And with Lennon our best winger, if Young came he would probably start with Lennon and Modric in the middle, sure we'd never get away with that in a physical League like the Premiership. We should concentrate on getting centre-halves. Woodgate is finished, King cant play consecutive games (well, we all know why) and IMO Dawson and Bassong arent good enough for a top 4 club:p! Collins or Dunne would be a great buy but I seriously doubt Villa are going to sell anyone now that O' Neill has left. And I think the rest of our squad is strong enough to challenge for CL football again provided Defoe picks up from where he left off last year.
    What wrong did Dawson and Bassong do last season when they played together ? both of them done very well as far as I could see.every bit as good as Collins and Dunne I'd say,and what's wrong with moaning and complaining to the referee,are our players supposed to keep there mouths shut and say nothing when decisions go against us,imo we should do more moaning to the referees and then we might start getting a few things in our favour for a change,like UTD and Chelsea.:rolleyes:

tippspur wrote: »
    What wrong did Dawson and Bassong do last season when they played together ? both of them done very well as far as I could see.every bit as good as Collins and Dunne I'd say,and what's wrong with moaning and complaining to the referee,are our players supposed to keep there mouths shut and say nothing when decisions go against us,imo we should do more moaning to the referees and then we might start getting a few things in our favour for a change,like UTD and Chelsea.:rolleyes:
    They did plenty wrong, unfortunately I dont keep a record of every mistake a Spurs player makes... Whats wrong with moaning and complaining?!? You serious? Firstly, it has a negative affect on all your team-mates and a positive effect on your opponents. Secondly it distracts you from your game. Thirdly, as a spectator it annoys me when players turn around to have a go at the referee instead of chasing down the ball and trying to atone for their error. Any one thats played any team sport would know that.:rolleyes: And btw, Collins and Dunne every bit as good as Bassong and Dawson - ha! Wasnt the Villa defense one of the best in the League last year?

Still don't have total confidence in Bassong or Kabul. They're too hot n' cold. Plus dawson is at his best when he has someone consistent along side him i.e. King or woodgate of a few years ago,

awful pity we missed out on that Danish chap... Kjear or whatever he was called. He looked a decen CB at the WC.

We were linked with Gallas in one of the red tops today i think :rolleyes:

We were linked with Gallas in one of the red tops today i think :rolleyes:

If that two faced nut job surrender monkey gooner joins us I'll burn the jersey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

THFC wrote: »
    They did plenty wrong, unfortunately I dont keep a record of every mistake a Spurs player makes... Whats wrong with moaning and complaining?!? You serious? Firstly, it has a negative affect on all your team-mates and a positive effect on your opponents. Secondly it distracts you from your game. Thirdly, as a spectator it annoys me when players turn around to have a go at the referee instead of chasing down the ball and trying to atone for their error. Any one thats played any team sport would know that.:rolleyes: And btw, Collins and Dunne every bit as good as Bassong and Dawson - ha! Wasnt the Villa defense one of the best in the League last year?

I thought Dawson was our best player last year and Bassong didnt do much wrong when he was in. Both are young, skillful and powerful. What we need is an experienced replacement for King/Woodgate who will play 1 or 2 out of 3 matches. Preferably someone with lots of CL experience to supplement what we have. Maybe Gallas or similar fits the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i also think that dawson was outstanding last season..pity he didnt get a run out at the WC

I think Dawson is good too but himself and Bassong are simply not good enough for Champs League Football. If Harry really has plans to challenge for the title he needs 1 or 2 more quality centre-backs. He should have a look at Cahill but he would cost over £20 million.

If you want a top quality, champion league standard CB, then thats the kinda money your going to have to pay.

Might as well bite the bulle, get the cheque book out and splash out 15M plus on someone like Cahill, Jagilka or similar.

Advertisement