Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beeker in the attic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

STS-51D continued.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

STS-51B / Challenger, April 29 - May 6 1985. Shuttle Flight: 17

600pxsts51bpatch.png

STS-51B continued.....

STS-51G / Discovery, June 17-24 1985. Shuttle Flight:18

600pxsts51gpatch.png

STS-51G continued........

• Advertisement

STS-51F / Challenger, 29 July - 6 August 1985. Shuttle flight: 19.

566pxsts51fpatchsvg.png

STS-51F continued......

STS-51I / Discovery, 27 August- 3 September 1985. Shuttle Flight: 20.

600pxsts51ipatch.png

STS-51I continued.....

STS-51J / Atlantis, 3-7 October 1985. Shuttle Flight: 21

First Flight of Orbiter Atlantis. DOD flight so very little info.
    544pxsts51jpatch.png

• Advertisement

STS-61A / Challenger, October 30 - November 6 1985. Shuttle Flight: 22

Last successful flight of Challenger. Holds the record for largest crew, 8 from launch to landing.
    600pxsts61apatch.png

STS-61A continued.........

Image of Christa McAuliffe and Barbara Morgan viewing the launch of STS-61A
    1985103012s8625294.jpg

STS-61B / Atlantis, November 26 - December 3 1985. Shuttle flight: 23

600pxsts61bpatch.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The video footage of Mcauliffe and Morgan watching the STS-61a launch was nearly as heartbreaking as the Challenger disaster. The look of giddy excitement on their faces was a sight to behold and only a few short months later it was an altogether more tragic picture,particularly the distraught Morgan watching the launch.:(

STS-61B continued.....

4861bs073sts61b.jpg

STS-61C / Columbia, January 12-18 1986. Shuttle Flight: 24

Last successful shuttle flight before the Challenger accident a week later.
    Suffered 7 launch delays. Flight included two people who now have a major impact on the programme Charlie Bolden and Bill Nelson.
    600pxsts61cpatch.png

STS-61C continued......

sts61c61cs047.jpg

lord lucan wrote: »
    The video footage of Mcauliffe and Morgan watching the STS-61a launch was nearly as heartbreaking as the Challenger disaster. The look of giddy excitement on their faces was a sight to behold and only a few short months later it was an altogether more tragic picture,particularly the distraught Morgan watching the launch.:(
    Yeah it sure was:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭whynotdo

Beeker wrote: »
    Yeah it sure was:(

I am only as far as the 51G ATM,but still loving it.

The way the loss of Challenger was exploited by the media,Movie Makers and even now CNN are showing it all the time to ask for viewer's memories of CNN's history via cnn 360:mad:

It must have become impossible for the families to ever watch news outlets again.When it comes to the loss of Challenger it still remains the fact that You never know the place or the hour that the footage of the explosion will pop up.
    Insensitive creeps!

This was the way to do it,and i make no apologies that i posted the song before but not this vid of it.
    Denver was of course NASA's preferred choice as first non Astronaut in Space.
    Reagan overuled it and Teacher Christa McAuliffe was chosen instead.
    Either would have inspired,Denver through song,McAuliffe by touring Schools and using her teaching skills.

whynotdo wrote: »
    I am only as far as the 51G ATM,but still loving it.

The way the loss of Challenger was exploited by the media,Movie Makers and even now CNN are showing it all the time to ask for viewer's memories of CNN's history via cnn 360:mad:

It must have become impossible for the families to ever watch news outlets again.When it comes to the loss of Challenger it still remains the fact that You never know the place or the hour that the footage of the explosion will pop up.
    Insensitive creeps!

This was the way to do it,and i make no apologies that i posted the song before but not this vid of it.
    Denver was of course NASA's preferred choice as first non Astronaut in Space.
    Reagan overuled it and Teacher Christa McAuliffe was chosen instead.
    Either would have inspired,Denver through song,McAuliffe by touring Schools and using her teaching skills.
    Yeah the Challenger explosion was iconic I suppose and the image of the explosion will remain with people all their lives. Intresting that the Columbia accident did not have the same impact. I still meet people who remember Challenger but have no memory of Columbia:confused:

I am currently scanning in the STS-51L folder but it is huge as you might imagine, so will take some time to get it up here.

• Advertisement

STS-51L / Challenger, January 28 1986. Shuttle Flight: 25.

As you can imagine this is a big one.

Dick, Mike, Ellison, Judith, Ron, Greg and Christa, Rest in Peace.
    655pxsts51lsvg.png

STS-51L continued.....

750pxchallengerflight51.jpg

STS-51L continued....

51l10144.jpg

STS-51L continued.....
    51l10089.jpg

STS-51L continued....

740pxchallengerexplosio.jpg

STS-51L contimued....
    51ls008.jpg

STS-51L final part.

Hard to describe what an impact this event had on me as a teenager. I was deeply fascinated {as I still am} in the Shuttle programme. This was a huge shock and a very sad event, something I will never forget.
    gpn2000001867.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sweet Jesus,one of them articles must've been from a tabloid - "HOLOCAUST IN SPACE"!!!:eek::eek:

Poignant stuff,especially with the ability of hindsight.:(

lord lucan wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus,one of them articles must've been from a tabloid - "HOLOCAUST IN SPACE"!!!:eek::eek:

Poignant stuff,especially with the ability of hindsight.:(
    Yeah, I never buy the old tabloids, but on Jan 29 I bought every paper in the shop.

• Advertisement

STS-26 Discovery. Return To Flight. Shuttle Flight : 26

September 29 - October 3 1988.
    8890506.jpg

Advertisement