Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Bank lost my 1300 euro!!

Options
  • 09-08-2010 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi...
    Im doing this for my boyfriend who is in a bit of a pickle.
    Himself and his housemates' lease was up there at the end of July.
    They had paid 1300 deposit to their landlord which they expected to get back as the apartment was in perfect condition at the end of their lease. When the landlord came for the inspection, he did not say anything about the condition of the house. He told them that they wouldnt be getting their deposit back as they missed a months rent (which is the same value of the deposit). The landlord only told them about this when he was doing the inspection (which i thought was a bit convenient!!!). I must point out here that they DEFINITELY paid the rent. They approached their bank to find out where their 'fast track' payment went but the bank does not know. They did however lose the receipt of the fast track payment but there is CCTV footage of them both placing the 1300 fast track payment into the required box in the bank. They both have bank statements of them taking the money out of their account on that day. The bank does not know where this money went. Yesterday the bank said because they have the exact time date AND video footage of them in the bank and doing the payment that they would get their money back but they got a call from the bank today saying they were now not getting it as the two blokes in the video footage might not be them. (It is DEF them as u can see my boyfriends face clearly in it) and they both have the exact clothes in their wardrobe to prove it also!!!!

Please can anyone give us advice. It is a lot of money and it seems as though the two lads are being ripped off!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Get a lawyer ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

What exactly is a 'fast-track' payment? Is it bank transfer or online payment, i.e. did they deposit it through a machine?
    Did the landlord say which month they supposedly missed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lawyer up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

The landlord said it was the second month of their resendency.. but i checked the rental laws and it said that the landlord has a legal obligation to send you a receipt of payment within 3 months..which he didnt so that might help them..

The payment was made in the bank, on a slip (im not sure) the cashier gave them a cheque type thing and they posted it in the bank to their landlord...

The both took out the money for the rent that day..which they have proof of.

Do they have a leg to stand on even though they lost their receipt...??

They are lads and are giving up but i am determined to get them their money back!! :)

Any solicitors out there that can give me advice?

Could they get free legal aid anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

JajaD wrote: »
    The landlord said it was the second month of their resendency.. but i checked the rental laws and it said that the landlord has a legal obligation to send you a receipt of payment within 3 months..which he didnt so that might help them..

The payment was made in the bank, on a slip (im not sure) the cashier gave them a cheque type thing and they posted it in the bank to their landlord...

The both took out the money for the rent that day..which they have proof of.

Do they have a leg to stand on even though they lost their receipt...??

They are lads and are giving up but i am determined to get them their money back!! :)

Why doesn't the bank have a record of the deposit? As far as the landlord goes, sounds pretty fishy... why wouldn't he have mentioned this until now? I wonder if it's possible that they deposited the money into the wrong account?
    The landlord is obliged to provide a rent book. Have they moved out yet?

Yes they have moved out since last week. I have no idea why the bank cannot provide details as they have the payment proven to the last minute!!

At first they went to the bank and the bank said they needed the time and date of the payment to prove anything, which they provided.

Now the bank is saying that all their evidence, which i think is loads, is not good enough to prove they paid that money.

The landlord is chancing is arm. He prob thought the lads were not gonna leave the apartment in a good state and when he realised it was, he pulled that trick out of the bag. No he didnt tell them about the missed payment until the inspection, which is def fishy!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Complain to the ombudsman for financial services.

Jo King wrote: »
    Complain to the ombudsman for financial services.

Thanks.. i will def contact these! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭30H!3

I've heard one too many horror stories about banks losing peoples money in those fast-track deposit boxes to ever use them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

JajaD wrote: »
    Could they get free legal aid anywhere?

http://www.flac.ie/gethelp/legaladvicecentres/centresmap.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Have them make a complaint of theft to the gardai. If the bank claim they didn't get it when they clearly did this is the same as stealing it.

k_mac wrote: »
    Have them make a complaint of theft to the gardai. If the bank claim they didn't get it when they clearly did this is the same as stealing it.

That is exactly my view too! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement