Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying MBA with help of company

Options
  • 09-08-2010 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all

I've been accepted into a horrendously expensive executive/part-time MBA in Europe, and am looking at ways to reduce the cost. Considering going for a scholarship, but am also toying out the following:

My company won’t pay for the MBA, but am proposing to them that we have an agreement with them to reduce my wages over the year to a nominal amount, and the reminder that they have saved will be paid by them to pay for (most of ) the course fees. this saves me the tax on the equivalent amount, and saves them employer PRSI contributions.

Anybody see a problem with this (legal/tax-wise), and has anybody done anything like this before?

Apprepicate any advice/pointers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

INSEAD or GALLEN ?

Always go for the Scholarship if you can..

Havent heard of anyone doing anything like your proposing, most people I know just took loans through the college.

If your company, does decide to make any sort of agreeement with you, the only I would watch out for is the amount of time you have to stay with them before you can leave on your own. The MBA will open up a lot of new job opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I vaguely remember UCD's website mentioning that companys could get a tax break on what they contributed towards your MBA costs. I'm not sure if it was as 'developed' as your scheme (i.e. a lower salary) but I can't see why it shouldn't be viable. The hardest part will be getting your Finance/HR dept. to put in the leg work to arrange it for you.

I take it it's a correspondance course if you're staying with the company ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Expendables

Thanks for the feedback, i think i'm the wrong demographic to get a scholarship (western male)

Its an online program, with face to face classes as well, i don;t want to quit my job, and to be honest i'm paying for the label and (hopefully) the network.

Have proposed it, lets see how i get on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Best of luck

Advertisement