Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Abuse on Threads

Options
  • 09-08-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Can someone in authority please have a look at the thread "Not A Word" in the Sligo section.

I aired my concern that the poster of the thread was generally abusing users of boards.ie in the first post.

I raised my concerns to the Moderators in that thread, however my post was not addressed by any Mods.

Other contributors to the thread justified the abuse as it was "general" and not directed at any one person. I raised the issue that this could equally be appllied to creed, religion colour, and a general abuse was still no justification.

By their silence I could only assume that the moderators were in agreement with that sentiment.

Today I raised me concerm in a new separate thread called "Moderators" where this was raised, however the thread was removed without any notification to myself.

Can you explain how this may have occured? and is this the general practice of Boards.ie Moderators?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Moved to Help Desk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, the thread has already been locked, so the mods have done something.

Leave it with me...

Some initial feedback...

I can't find anything in the Reported Posts which says that you reported posts. You say you brought the problem to the moderators' attention, but part of the issue here could be the manner in which you did that.

If you have a problem with a post, you should report it before anything else.

If that doesn't work, try PMing the mods. I don't know if you did this or not...I can't see PM history.

Starting a thread in-forum is generally not a great way to go about letting the mods know. Posting in the problem-thread in question is even less great.

If you're getting nowhere with the mods, you could try contacting the CMods who are also responsible for the forum. Again...PM is the way to go here.

I've PMed both the mods and the CMods to let them know of this thread's existence...but beyond that, I don't think its appropriate for me to step in and arbitrate the actual moderation and your issue(s) with it just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

So why am I not surprised by your evasive response?

I shall rephrase my question.

Is the abuse levelled "generally" at users of Boards.ie allowed and tolerated by Boards.ie under your terms of constitution beacause it is general and not directed at an individual?

And when a post is removed, is this equally allowed to be moved without an explanation? Again is that Boards.ie policy?

May I also suggest that you read the thread more thoroughly.

I would also appreciate if you could expand on what you meant by "the manner in which you did this"...

So why am I not surprised by your evasive response?

We have a dispute resolution procedure. It seems that you didn't follow it. I'm evading nothing by informing you what that procedure is, and what it is you should be doing.

I am not going to arbitrarily decide to cut people out of the loop because you didn't involve them.

Beyond that, I stand by what I said. Its not appropriate for an admin to be involved in arbitrating this issue until such times as you've discussed the issue with the mods and Cmods and still feel that there's an issue to be resolved.

Edit Lucy Lu, one of the Category Mods for the Sligo forum has said they will deal with this via PM if you wish.
    I would also appreciate if you could expand on what you meant by "the manner in which you did this"...
    The Sligo forum charter outlines clearly what you should do if you have an issue with a post, and what you should do if you have an issue with moderation.

You'll notice, since you ask, that "start a thread on the forum effectively asking for the moderators to explain themselves" is not on there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Forget it...Total waste of time:
    bonkey wrote: »
    We have a dispute resolution procedure. It seems that you didn't follow it. I'm evading nothing by informing you what that procedure is, and what it is you should be doing.

I am not going to arbitrarily decide to cut people out of the loop because you didn't involve them.

Beyond that, I stand by what I said. Its not appropriate for an admin to be involved in arbitrating this issue until such times as you've discussed the issue with the mods and Cmods and still feel that there's an issue to be resolved.

Edit Lucy Lu, one of the Category Mods for the Sligo forum has said they will deal with this via PM if you wish.

The Sligo forum charter outlines clearly what you should do if you have an issue with a post, and what you should do if you have an issue with moderation.

You'll notice, since you ask, that "start a thread on the forum effectively asking for the moderators to explain themselves" is not on there.

Advertisement