Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding up a vacant house

Options
  • 09-08-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there a company that does this? I see the council using the big metal boarding but i want to know if a private person can get this done somehow. Clearly the metal would be safe that sticking plywood on the windows.

I've searched here and a couple of other sites, Google and ask etc but nothing coming up.

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

liger wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there a company that does this? I see the council using the big metal boarding but i want to know if a private person can get this done somehow. Clearly the metal would be safe that sticking plywood on the windows.

I've searched here and a couple of other sites, Google and ask etc but nothing coming up.

Any info appreciated.

Just an Fyi, the metal boarding that the council put up, is generally for derlict houses etc, having been inside some of them, they put metal vice like grips on the inside wall holding them in place..ie the windows doors are smashed/broken, to put up the hording.

Try some of the secruity companies, I know theres one called 'crothers', there must be a few more you could just phone around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

look in golden pages,northside people, property maintenance ,security grills etc
    you could put metal grills on the inside ,then 2 layers of wood ,one inside,1 outside ,joined,screwed ,glued together.that can be done without damaging the window frames.
    or google property maintenance dublin ie.
    IT would require 1 carpentor, 1 welder/ person who makes metal grills .
    theres small companys that just make metal grills for windows ,doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You could try Crothers who have North and Southside Dublin Bases.
    They cover a wide range of security services including the supply and installation of Door Window Grilles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

liger wrote: »
    Hi,

Any info appreciated.

Don't know where you are based but plenty of builders will do it for you in Cork . Pm Me & I'll give you a number

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You have not explained the circumstances, but do not do this if you can avoid it at all. Do not be surprised if the local authority takes action of one sort or another against you if you do this. You could be subject to a levy.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/planning-and-development-in-ireland/copy_of_derelict_sites_and_dangerous_structures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Thanks for the info folks,

Just to answer a couple of questions, property is in southside dublin. Its not derelict just vacant and I was just really looking to secure the place as there is a dispute over it. Its sitting idol, not able to rent it out or live in it, unable to sell.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you board up the windows the house can be categorised as derelict.

You are also destroying the value of the property and the street.

If you cannot afford to secure the property properly andxmaintain it, the best thing to do might really to sell it and then argue over the money. But you need commercial and legal advice.

Advertisement