Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really pi$$ed off

Options
  • 09-08-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,living in a flat i have been renting for over a year now.

had problems with the landlord from early on, he would not fix anything(including back door which resulted in myself being robbed).
    When i moved in i was working but like many other people i lost my job and because of this i am finding it hard to get deposit for new place as i have other bills to pay too(like everyone else).

You see i already know this chancer(landlord) is not gonna give me my deposit back as he is as tight as thhey come, so i was thinking of staying here for a few weeks till i saved enough money to get deposit up for new place as other than that i have NO way of getting the money together.

Now i would like to stress that i would not even contemplate this idea if the landlord gave me my deposit back..but i just know he wont as i have met somone who previously rented a property from him and never got it back.

could i get into alot of trouble by doing this,as i see it as my only option to getting a deposit together.

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

As much as I loath to advise it, this is what I'd do, presuming your deposit was a months rent to begin with,

Tell your Landlord your not paying the rent till he fixes the problems (wait till the rent is due and he calls) let it play out for a month, and move out.
    You've got your deposit back by not paying the last month. Its not ideal and you'll prob have to put up with some angry phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

Doop wrote: »
    As much as I loath to advise it, this is what I'd do, presuming your deposit was a months rent to begin with,

Tell your Landlord your not paying the rent till he fixes the problems (wait till the rent is due and he calls) let it play out for a month, and move out.
    You've got your deposit back by not paying the last month. Its not ideal and you'll prob have to put up with some angry phone calls.

like i said doop it is not what i want to do,it goes against everything i stand for.
    i just dont see how else i will get the deposit up.

i just hope i dont come back one day to find locks changed and my stuff outside the front door cause i would explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i just hope i dont come back one day to find locks changed and my stuff outside the front door cause i would explode.
    I'm pretty sure that'd be illegal eviction. And it'd also cure your money problem for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that'd be illegal eviction. And it'd also cure your money problem for a while :D

pretty much, yeah.

Just be aware that what you are planning is against the law. (That said, in your position I'd probably do the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd do that too in your position, as much as I hate the idea :pac:

If there was some sort of register in place that would blacklist tenants or landlords for doing such things then that would be the only real problem you could face, but there's no such thing yet so go for it. I can't see your landlord dragging you through the PRTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've been both a landlord and tenant for 10+ years and I know exactly the type you are talking about.

Withholding rent is legally questionable, but some landlords give you no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you for this; some may remember the situation we are in and that we also had to make this hard decision in order to get the means to leave.

Yes it IS hard... But what alternative is there?

Be assured that many here understand and commiserate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi,living in a flat i have been renting for over a year now.

had problems with the landlord from early on, he would not fix anything(including back door which resulted in myself being robbed).
    When i moved in i was working but like many other people i lost my job and because of this i am finding it hard to get deposit for new place as i have other bills to pay too(like everyone else).

You see i already know this chancer(landlord) is not gonna give me my deposit back as he is as tight as thhey come, so i was thinking of staying here for a few weeks till i saved enough money to get deposit up for new place as other than that i have NO way of getting the money together.

Now i would like to stress that i would not even contemplate this idea if the landlord gave me my deposit back..but i just know he wont as i have met somone who previously rented a property from him and never got it back.

could i get into alot of trouble by doing this,as i see it as my only option to getting a deposit together.

thanks for any help
    truth
    he is failing his duty to you, you got robbed due to this person not doing his part, this is it, whatever was stolen from you he is liable for, also it is the law that your acommodation be in a sound safe state, safe being your problem

also did someone break the lock through forcing the door
    or was it natural wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

the_syco wrote: »

Absolutely illegal eviction and as far as I know the landlord would be liable for any accommodation costs you incur as a result. I knnow it's the usual line trotted out but contact Threshold. we had issues with our landlord recently and they did help, plus it's free and you can be safe/smug in the knowledge that the pr!ck of a landlord will prob go to a solicitor and have to pay for it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

Well if he does that you should lodge a complaint with the PRTB board. And if he isnt registered with them then he's in major trouble as its a requirement by law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My sister did the exact same thing. The landlord was angry at first but it wasn't a big deal in the end.

Advertisement