Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ribbon driveway?

• 09-08-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

As the parking situation is getting to be a problem in my area, I was thinking of doing a Ribbon driveway in my garden by placing two lines of concrete slabs into the grass. Do I need to put down any stone or can I dig the ground out and whack it and fill with sand with slabs on top, I already have the slabs and it doesn't have to look great. Any tips/criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you will need stone. i would put a small layer of sand. thats purely there to help you level the slabs.

also if the slabs are anyway uneven the car could easily break uneven slabs which become rocky.

the stone will support the slab better also preventing posible breakage. how thick are the slabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

The slabs are 40mm thick, what type of stone should I get?

ideally 804 would be perfect.

providing the ground is firm and dry.

when you dig the bed for the stone make sure its dry. line it with polythene.

250mm to 300mm of stone should be grand

40mm slabs should be ok if you really compact the stone and ensure there is no rocking in the slabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Martron wrote: »
    ideally 804 would be perfect.

providing the ground is firm and dry.

when you dig the bed for the stone make sure its dry. line it with polythene.

250mm to 300mm of stone should be grand

40mm slabs should be ok if you really compact the stone and ensure there is no rocking in the slabs.
    re
    line it with polythene
    . why? How will it drain once done?

it will stop soil pushing up throught the stone causing soft spots.
    i could have said geotextile but i am sure polythene is easily come by.

it will drain fine through the walls of the excavation.

(and possibly to clarify i meant to line the bottom of the excavation with polythene not the sides also.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement