Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMOLED vs SLCD

Options
  • 09-08-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

whats the major difference between the two displays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

no major diff between amoled and slcd

however super amoled seems to def be better than them all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Do viewing angles really matter on a phone? I don't think so..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

So is the new batch of Desires going to have the SLCD or AMOLED?

Any body buy a new desire in the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

new desires will be SLCD -> Super LCD

meteor havent had stock for a month id say of any Desires, not sure are they back in stock yet..?

• Advertisement

No Not till next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Nekro Man wrote: »
    whats the major difference between the two displays?

Put it this way an LED TV has a much better viewing experience than an LCD TV. LED .... AMOLED and super AMOLED were made to stop light reflection. Advances were made with the AMOLED screens in the viewing experience but Super AMOLED is the only screen you can see in direct sunlight. LED also saves battery life where as LCD drains battery

JustinOval wrote: »
    Do viewing angles really matter on a phone? I don't think so..

When showing videos to a group it does,

Davy wrote: »
    When showing videos to a group it does,

How often would you do that. My phone is for me,myself and i :p

Kenno90 wrote: »
    How often would you do that. My phone is for me,myself and i :p

At least 5 times last week, at one stage we had to go inside to watch a video from youtube because of the sun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Side-View-Comparison-TFT-Vs-AMOLED-Vs-Super-AMOLED.jpg

LCD TFT - AMOLED - Super AMOLED

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Put it this way an LED TV has a much better viewing experience than an LCD TV. LED .... AMOLED and super AMOLED were made to stop light reflection. Advances were made with the AMOLED screens in the viewing experience but Super AMOLED is the only screen you can see in direct sunlight. LED also saves battery life where as LCD drains battery

You're getting the backlight mixed up with the actual display technology e.g. you can have LCD with LED backlighting. There's no such thing as an LED display by itself. Amoled main selling point is thinness and low power consumption.

And contrast and brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

AMOLED Screens are much better than most LCDs but there are a few LCDs which can match them.

Is there any comparison videos of two desires one with SLCD and AMOLED:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cnocbui wrote: »
    And contrast and brightness.

Contrast yes especially something like black levels; brightness is something thats been a disadvantage for OLED although newer panels and S-AMOLED have brought it on a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

OLEDs have trouble with blue light. After a while, the high wavelength blue burns the organic material.

But I think most of these problems have been ironed out with the developments in material science over recent years. Took them about 10 years to perfect the blue pixels!

I understand that OLED displays may be much cheaper to manufacture than LCDs once the process can be optimised. A lot of ink-jet research is being done so that OLEDs can literally be printed off of roll.

Also, LCDs use up the same power if the screen is fully black or fully white. The back-light is always on. If an OLED is fully black, the power consumption is very low. Therefore you can have things like screensavers that use very little power...

I'd say over the next few years, we're going to see ultra-low power consumption displays on flexible substrates that last for years and cost next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

yutta wrote: »
    I'd say over the next few years, we're going to see ultra-low power consumption displays on flexible substrates that last for years and cost next to nothing.
    I love your way of thinking!
    Any chance of some flying cars too? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

I love your way of thinking!
    Any chance of some flying cars too? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8S8tbQMp2k

AMOLED Screens are much better than most LCDs but there are a few LCDs which can match them.

Are you talking about the display on the IP4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cnocbui wrote: »
    Are you talking about the display on the IP4?

No. There are better.

Advertisement