Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 a side refund

Options
  • 09-08-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

There was recently a 5 aside tournament in my town organised by the local soccer club. I entered the tournament by handing in payment of €70 and the team name, contact details etc 5 days prior to the tournament (on a Tuesday tournament was on a Saturday). At this time i had a team organised, unfortunately on the Friday morning I had 4 individual players pull out. At 2 pm I rang the club to tell them I would have to withdraw my team because i wasnt able to get enough players, I was told that I would have to wait a week or so to get my money back because all the entry fees were tied up in food, drinks etc they had bought for the tournament.

I had no problem with this. A week from the following Monday I rang them without an answer, I then sent a text about my situation, looking how I can get my refund etc. An hour later I was sent back a text saying "sorry bud nothing we can do". I sent a text back saying how outraged I was that they could just keep my money like this, I then sent an email a few days later and haven't heard anything back since.

Anybody like to advise on my options here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I doubt there's much you can do. It's not really their fault and I was shocked you were even offered a refund originally! Maybe you should approach the players that pulled out as it's their fault and each might cough up some of the money to you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Agreed strange you were offered any refund at such short notice, again not their fault at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you receive any receipt or any T&Cs when you paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

dudara wrote: »
    Did you receive any receipt or any T&Cs when you paid?

Didn't get a receipt or terms and conditions. I know it was relatively short notice but I know for a fact that some teams paid on the day, and 2 teams were only made up on the day from random players. I was told when I rang initially that the fee should be paid in advance to book my place. It's actually the only 5 a side ive ever entered that I had to pay in advance of the day of the tournament.

Surely they can't take my money despite me not having played in the tournament. I paid in good faith and gave them, admittedly a little short, some notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Corholio wrote: »
    I paid in good faith

And they took the money in good faith. Afraid its one of those "tough luck" situations. Remember in future not to put forward your money if you can't trust 4/5 of the team to actually play........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Corholio wrote: »
    Surely they can't take my money despite me not having played in the tournament. I paid in good faith and gave them, admittedly a little short, some notice.

But you gave it to them with the intention of playing. If they had cancelled the tournament, then you should get a refund, since you just backed out, no refund would be due unless they wanted or were able to refund it.

It sucks, because you're out €70, but that's the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You aren't getting a refund

However you should not be out of pocket and the lads who pulled out should be paying up for those who stayed in.

It's their fault, not your fault
    But that's for you to sort out with the lads, they can buy a few drinks to make your 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, you broke verbal contract - I'm surprised you felt you should get money back. Did you expect that the organizers would have committed money on the basis of your participation and then you want to get it back....

Get your refund from your friends.... and don't organize anything for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have to join the chorus of people shocked that you were offered a refund to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Think of it this way.

You book with ryanair for a weekend away.

You ring ryanair the day before cancelling the trip.

You ask Michael O'Leary for a refund.

and the answer you get would be 2 words long.

at least the money in this case goes to supporting the local club!

• Advertisement
Advertisement