Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese Dish?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Im a sweet and sour man most times myself, but what would be a nice alternative? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hillbilly999

Curry and fried rice:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Ah! I like your style "hillbilly999" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Monosodium Glutamate. Is there any other kind of dish in the chinese?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Monosodium Glutamate. Is there any other kind of dish in the chinese?

I'm not joking when I say that Chinese food without MSG is the most disappointing thing ever. I love MSG.

I'm partial to prawn toast, prawn crackers, and chow mein. I also like sweet and sour chicken. But possibly the best dish is duck in plum sauce with fried rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Fillet beef chop suey with boiled rice and chips

Or

Chicken in chilli and garlic sauce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the only chinese i like is a chow mein, im not really into it at all. im more of an indian food-y

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I love if I can get the gelatinous fried pork in really sour sweet and sour sauce. Which is luminous orange in colour. NYOMS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I lived in China for a few months. Much of the Chinese food we get here is a distant relation of what they eat, the variety of dishes over there is amazing.

And they do use MSG, the same as we use salt, and the Thai's use fish sauce.To add flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

My favourites are prawn crackers, crispy duck pancakes, salt and chilli shredded chicken, Singapore fried rice, chicken curry with fried rice and the good old 3-in-1. :)

I'm not mad about dishes like black bean and black pepper. Or spring rolls for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

My favourites are prawn crackers, crispy duck pancakes, salt and chilli shredded chicken, Singapore fried rice, chicken curry with fried rice and the good old 3-in-1. :)

I'm not mad about dishes like black bean and black pepper. Or spring rolls for that matter.

Ooh thats a mouthwatering combination! Ah yes the ol' three in one! How could I forget! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Spare Ribs with Honey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Chicken curry and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

General Tso's Chicken and fried rice. Delicious or failing that anything heavily battered and unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Exactly the same as the above except that I'd go for a beef curry.
    Also partial to chicken with ginger & scallions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

hot pot! definately, and chuanr after some drinks is great, as is lamian and qing jiao rousi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Chicken Balls Chips And Curry:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭klose

chicken szechuan or satay...or any house special chilli :D

fried rice..hasta be fried. unhealthier but f£ck it sure,

gavitron22 wrote: »
    hot pot! definately, and chuanr after some drinks is great, as is lamian and qing jiao rousi

None of which you can get in any chinese restaurant within 30km of where I live.

Lucky you.

I take it that "hot pot" is a native Chinese dish and not something that has been europeanised? No? I've certainly never seen it on a takeaway menu!
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    Exactly the same as the above except that I'd go for a beef curry.
    Also partial to chicken with ginger & scallions.

Nice!

I think I've actually figured out how to make proper takeaway-style shredded chicken. Someone was asking about it in another post and I'll put up my way of doing it there soon.

By the way, Hill Billy... just noticing your new avatar... the "Langnese" symbol with horns and a tail added... the brand which is also known as "HB" in Ireland... very clever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

None of which you can get in any chinese restaurant within 30km of where I live.

Lucky you.

Hotpot is basically a big bowl of soup (usually quite spicy) and you order raw meat and veg (usually a bit of lamb and beef plus lettuce, various sprouts and stuff, Chinese usually go for tofu but I'm not a big fan) then you dip it all in the pot and cook it at your table. Very nice but dunno if there are any places you can get it in Ireland. Gonna check Dublin when I get home as it's probably my favourite Chinese dish.

Lamian is just beef noodles. Qingjiao rousi is just stir-fried peppers and pork. And chuan(er) is various meat/veg/tofu on a skewer and fried/roasted for a few mins. All are good.

• Advertisement

I checked them out on the web when I read your post and thought 'yum!'

Wish I had a decent chinese near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Patri wrote: »
    Im a sweet and sour man most times myself, but what would be a nice alternative? :)
    Go for other sweet dishes, my local does a good chicken & pineapple. I think the 2 word names put many people off, they have no idea what to expect and think it will literally be just "chicken & beansprouts" or whatever. I have been going for thai style chicken lately and the guy was commenting how nobody ever orders it, saying at least you try something other than chicken curry! I have tried to make my way through all the menu, some stuff I had no idea what to expect, like cantonese chicken.

I also like kung-po chicken, singapore chow mein, chicken with chilli salt, chicken with hot garlic sauce. My local says orders have chips/boiled rice/fried rice, but if you ask for stir fry noodles you get them for 60cent more, I know several will do noodles as standard but there is nothing to stop you asking if they will do them, or for something different -like I ask for my chicken & cashew nuts to have some chillis in it. They cram the noodles in the tray in most places, so you end up with about 2 supermarket microwave size ready meals.
    Many people give out about ordering curry in a chinese but I say why not, if you like it. I know a few people who do not like Indian type curries but love Chinese.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry#Chinese_cuisine
    Chinese curries (咖哩, gā lǐ) typically consist of chicken, beef, fish, lamb, or other meats, green peppers, onions, large chunks of potatoes, and a variety of other ingredients and spices in a mildly spicy yellow curry sauce, and topped over steamed rice. White pepper, soy sauce, hot sauce, and/or hot chili oil may be applied to the sauce to enhance the flavor of the curry.

The most common Chinese variety of curry sauce is usually sold in powder form. It seems to have descended from a Singaporean and Malaysian variety, countries which also introduced the Satay sauce to the Chinese. The ethnic Cantonese (dominant in Kuala Lumpur), this yellow, Chinese-Malaysian variety was naturally introduced to China by the Cantonese, and features typically in Hong Kong cuisine. (Interestingly, the Malay Satay seems to have been introduced to China with wider success by the ethnic Teochew, who make up the second largest group of Chinese of Singapore and are the dominant group in Thailand.)

There are many different varieties of Chinese curry, depending on each restaurant. Unlike other Asian curries, which usually have a thicker consistency, Chinese curry is often watery.[citation needed] "Galimian," (from Malaysian "curry mee" or "curry noodles,") is also a popular Chinese curry dish.

For fans of chinese curry sauce check this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055896676

Here is a link about chinese hotpot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pot

By the way, Hill Billy... just noticing your new avatar... the "Langnese" symbol with horns and a tail added... the brand which is also known as "HB" in Ireland... very clever! :D
    [offtopic]Well spotted. Horns & a goatee - I'm a 'goat' (ie, from Skerries). :)[/offtopic]

Traditional style hotpot is available in the Good World on George's Street.

There is also another Chinese near Christ Church that has fantastic food, hasn't removed items from the english menu that they think might be too "exotic" for our Irish tastebuds.But I forget the name of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Sergeant wrote: »
    Traditional style hotpot is available in the Good World on George's Street.

There is also another Chinese near Christ Church that has fantastic food, hasn't removed items from the english menu that they think might be too "exotic" for our Irish tastebuds.But I forget the name of the place.
    I think you are confusing the chinese stew like dishes with hot pots as mentioned by ChristopherUno. The GoodWorld doesn't do hot pots but it's an easy mistake to make considering the stews comes in a hot pot :D

A lot of the chinese restaurants on Chapel Street and probably Parnell Street does hot pots.

[offtopic]Well spotted. Horns & a goatee - I'm a 'goat' (ie, from Skerries). :)[/offtopic]

Goatee! Of course, of course! Skerries... Jaysus...Skerries, Co. Meath, or is that Louth? That's even further out than Lucan! :pac: Sorry about the banter... let me know if I should cut it out!

Are we allowed mention individual takeaways, by the way? I'd like to mention two of our "locals" if we are. We had a savage takeaway last night: prawn crackers, a massive starter portion of shredded chicken that was absolutely riddled with MSG, chicken curry and king prawn chow mein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Goatee! Of course, of course! Skerries... Jaysus...Skerries, Co. Meath, or is that Louth? That's even further out than Lucan! :pac: Sorry about the banter... let me know if I should cut it out!

Are we allowed mention individual takeaways, by the way? I'd like to mention two of our "locals" if we are.

go for it, I'm in Lucan too. Always get from the China House. Where do you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

I just want to get my chinese in the boxes they get in America and have a go at chopsticks....:D:D

There is a Thai place on Baggot St. bridge (if you live in Dublin!) that gives you the takeaway in the boxes you require. The food is pretty damned good as well.

http://www.kanum.ie/

• Advertisement

go for it, I'm in Lucan too. Always get from the China House. Where do you go?

Oh? Which one is China House, brick?

I was thinking of "Famous" in Lucan village and "New Sunrise" in Terenure when I'm over in Mrs. Alex's "posh gaff" in Ra'farnim. :D

Advertisement