Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MF DOOM Dublin Gig in October

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Lol, I wonder are Paddy Power offering bets on which one of his impersonators will show!

Even if I didn't think he was pants (which i do), there was no way I'd shell out good money to see a guy who may or may not show.

Mysterious is one thing, but ripping off your own fans is another.

I'm with Kno of Cunninglynguists on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Went to see him in London. He was pretty good there. Sent out a white imposter for the first tune which was pretty funny. Only problem was the venue was heruuuuge so I couldn't get anywhere near him. It'll be nice to see him in a more intimate venue. As it's a rap gig in Dublin there won't be too many people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Really looking forward to this, when he's there he apparently puts on a great show. I've heard that he sends out imposters for a laugh now alright. T'would be funny if he did in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

Very excited for this one, more so than KRS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Man, if I shell out 30quid for this, it better not be an imposter or else I'd be demanding my ticket, bus and accommodation money back from the Button Factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm really looking forward to this and taking the chance that DOOM himself will actually appear. I chuckled at the fallout from the imposter-gigs and appeciated it was in keeping with the "supervillian persona" but I might have a different take on it if I become a victim.

I find his latest album patchy but there's enough good material on it to warrant the purchase.

He did a greatest hits sort of set in London anyway. Only did a couple of new tracks, and nothing off Dangerdoom. Touched on the highlights from pretty much everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

Where exactly did this "impersonation" actually happen?
    Somewhere in Cali was it?

Just interested in knowing teh full story,and how did people realise it wasnt Doom?
    I presume his voice was different? Probably a silly question to ask...

anyway,im looking forward to the gig,its gonna be tight.

P.s someone said above that seeing as the gig is going to be in Dublin,there isnt going to be many people at it? well,you'd be surprised that the Button Factory actually holds a surprisingly large amount of people.

Last time he did it was February.
    http://www.prefixmag.com/news/doomposter-possibly-strikes-again-in-chicago/37540/

I forget how many times and where he did it. 3 or 4 at least. He just sends on someone lip synching. I think he's stopped doing it now though. Possibly because he left Mos Def in such an awkward position at that last show. Or maybe the story got so big concert promoters got savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

Thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Cool mix of DOOM's tracks over on Choice Cuts to promote the upcoming gig

http://www.choicecuts.com/podcast/doom-dj-mayhem-mix/

He forgot this one though:

Venemous Villain had some of his best lyrics on it even if there's only about 10 minutes of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Venemous Villain had some of his best lyrics on it even if there's only about 10 minutes of it.

Super production on it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Anyone have any idea what sort of set he'll play. Does he do stuff from all of his projects or just his latest DOOM stuff?

I'll be gutted if he starts playing "classics" like Jump around and other mainstream hiphop to try get the crowd going..

I want the raw unadulterated DOOM for 2 hrs not some 45 mins karaoke
    set that many of the rappers that come to our shores give.

joebucks wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what sort of set he'll play. Does he do stuff from all of his projects or just his latest DOOM stuff?

I'll be gutted if he starts playing "classics" like Jump around and other mainstream hiphop to try get the crowd going..

I want the raw unadulterated DOOM for 2 hrs not some 45 mins karaoke
    set that many of the rappers that come to our shores give.

Hate when people do that. Public Enemy were great the first couple of times I saw them but the last time they resorted to cheap crap to get the crowd going. In fairness the sound in The Savoy is so abysmal it's hard to enjoy anybody playing there.

When I saw him he was pretty much doing a greatest hits set. Touched on most of the albums. He only did 3 or 4 tunes off the new one at most.

He also has a new album dropping, i think it's a LIVE album of his hits. From Wiki:
    Upcoming projects

On May 26, 2010, the first single for the next Madvillain album "Paper Mill" was dropped through Adult Swim.[16] "Expektoration," a live DOOM album, will be released Sept. 14, 2010 through Gold Dust Media. In mid 2010, DOOM released the mix-tape "DOOM!", a collection of greatest hits, B-Sides and rareties, including the theme for GTA: Chinatown Wars featuring Ghostface Killah and Biochemical Equation, featuring the RZA.

So i reckon he will be pushing these and playing songs from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone got a full tracklisting for the 2 Special Blends CDs?

Nolanger wrote: »
    Anyone got a full tracklisting for the 2 Special Blends CDs?

http://www.discogs.com/MF-Doom-Special-Blends-12/release/702425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KingTitan

theres no way hes coming all the way over here. he'll have an imposter there to do the job for him. like all of his gigs outside the US.

It was him performing in London when I went. He sent on a white imposter for the first tune though. Pretty sure the only international gig he's sent a doppleganger to was a Canadian show.

• Advertisement

the gigs that have been reported to have had an imposter where apparently advertised as DOOM gigs but not by DOOM or his people.

I'm pretty confident it will be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 monkeysockss

Is this gig actually happening? I haven't seen a single poster or ad anywhere. I was in the Button Factory last night for Dreadzone and saw nothing there either. Just seems a bit odd...if noone knows it's on can be sure of a low turnout

Tickets are available on all the normal ticket sites

Choice Cuts are advertising it:
    http://www.choicecuts.com/event/mf-doom/its listed on entertainment.ie
    http://entertainment.ie/event/Gigs/The-Button-Factory/MF-Doom/2560501.htm

And it's also on the LEX site:
    http://lexrecords.com/2010/06/doom-european-tour-2010/

Pretty sure this is going ahead

Cool. Have to say it's been extremely badly promoted tho. He may not be Jay-Z but he's surely worthy of a poster at least! I'm gutted as was looking forward to knicking one from the Button Factory last night ;)

instead of resporting to crime, get in touch with Choice Cuts, they are a decent bunch and might sort you out with a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

....was looking forward to knicking one from the Button Factory last night ;)

haha same here. Poster robbing is a hobbie of mine :pac:

Hopefully there'll be a couple there on the night

Yep. Will be on the lookout for one I can sneak out. Sorry Boom Bap but it's not the same if you have to ask permission :D

Been thinking tho...maybe there hasn't been much talk about the gig cos he has such a terrible reputation as a live performer. Won't stop me going, but his live shows have had some dire reviews over the years. Or maybe I'm just spending too much time on the Conspiracy Theories board...

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    instead of resporting to crime, get in touch with Choice Cuts, they are a decent bunch and might sort you out with a poster.

Have you got an email address for them? They've no contact details listed on their website.

this address is listed on thier site:

info@choicecuts.com

• Advertisement

To warm you up for the gig, DJ Mayhem put up a DOOM podcast/mix on Choice Cuts:

http://www.choicecuts.com/podcast/doom-dj-mayhem-mix/#top

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

a nice appetizer

anyone know what time DOOM on at later?

Ireland/Slovakia game won't be over till 9.20

hopefully he drops this one

doors are at 7.30
    so the support will probably come on for 40 mins to an hour at 8.30
    DOOM probably at 9.30?

Thats my thinking anyway.

Support is from Melodica Deathship

I'll be getting there about 9 ish i'd say cuz i'm playing a match myself beforehand.

Only realised there last week this was on a weekday. Sucks. I'm down in Cork so I can't go.

doors are at 7.30
    so the support will probably come on for 40 mins to an hour at 8.30
    DOOM probably at 9.30?

Thats my thinking anyway.

Support is from Melodica Deathship

I'll be getting there about 9 ish i'd say cuz i'm playing a match myself beforehand.

Sounds about right. Are Melodica Deathship worth checkin? May have to head in early if Ireland are gettin worked by the Slovaks.

• Advertisement

I think Melodica Deathship is Exile Eyes group/project, an American(?) been living in Ireland for like 10+ years. He rapped on a few of RíRá songs on his eps as well. Downbeat atmospheric stuff rather than the lyrical myrical sort of thing. First time I've heard of them doing a gig. Around a good while but they've an album coming now.

http://vimeo.com/15413714

http://www.myspace.com/melodicadeathship

A bit of a shambles last night. Doors opened late but thankfully i arrived late. Melodica Deathship can on and played 4 or 5 songs. It wasnt really the right setting for thier brand of hip hop i thought. I am curious to listen to more of thier stuff that Shapey has posted as it sounds decent, but they where not really right for last night.

so they cleared up all thier gear and then the stage was empty for a while, then empty for another while, and a bit longer. DOOM's DJ (term to be taken very loosely for this fellow) then came out and announced that DOOM will be on in 10 minutes. Cue boo's and a bit of an exodous to the bar and smoking areas. 10 minutes later there was nothing. About another 10 minutes went by and the DJ and tour manager came out to set up the visuals, basically plugging a MAC book into the projector, but it didnt work out. Then about 7 or 8 different people tried with no avail, one clever chap even decided to re-boot the MAC but that didnt work. I wasnt watching my clock during this but i would say this went on for 10 - 15 minutes. They decided to go on without it but there was a feedback noise, DOOM didnt come on stage until that was sorted which was a few minutes.

When he did come out, things started kicking off, started with lots of Mad Villain stuff which i thought was great. Then some girls got up on stage and tried to dance, one particular girl wouldnt leave the stage. One in a red dress was uber embarassed as she didnt realise what was going on and tried to get her friend up with her. she left stage pretty sharpish. Another girl who was dressed like the Hamburglar was at the side of the stage and it looked like she was falling asleep and then she disappeared. The other just jumped up and down and tried to hug DOOM and the hype man. Cringeworthy stuff i thought.....ooohhh and someone threw a stuffed donkey or horse on stage also.
    Then DOOM went into som stuff from MM FOOD, i didnt think he performed these tracks well at all, he was off time for the most part i thought. Then he started playing with the playlist and there was another technical hitch for a few minutes. I think there was 1 or maybe 2 songs from Born Like This. The finish was quite strong.
    He came out for an encore which involved downing a pint of Guiness and nothing more.

Overall, it was a shambles, too many technical hiccups and delays. A strong start and finish from DOOM and mediocre in between.

That coupled with 3 or 4 lads behind me who pretty much boo'd for the entire performance and shouted obseneties directed towards DOOM non-stop ruined it for me.

Dire gig. Lazy and unprofessional. Total contempt for the fans. Didn't even have a Dj! The dude behind the decks, which probably weren't even plugged in, didn't even have his headphones on. Doom was going over to the Mac and choosing the songs himself while the, ahem, 'DJ' stood there like a spare tit.

How could they not hook up the computer to the projector at the back? It's not like there was a whole lot else going on. It was working up till five mins before he came on, and then they just turned and faced the computer towards the crowd. If some cover band did that in your local pub maybe but when you've paid 30 quid a ticket? No

There was some bell end booing behind me too which didn't help but by the end I was hoping for a riot...would have at least made for a memorable ending to a trully bollox concert.

How could they not hook up the computer to the projector at the back? It's not like there was a whole lot else going on. It was working up till five mins before he came on, and then they just turned and faced the computer towards the crowd. If some cover band did that in your local pub maybe but when you've paid 30 quid a ticket? No

The one that was working all night was the Button Factories own machine, it's when they switched over to DOOMs MAC is when they had problems. It's something that should really have been tested beforehand.

From what i could tell, the MAC streamed the songs and had a video in synch with it with a big DOOM face rapping along. Would have been cool but they shouldnt have taken so long fannying about with it.

Then some girls got up on stage and tried to dance, one particular girl wouldnt leave the stage......jumped up and down and tried to hug DOOM and the hype man.

Someone in the queue for the cloakroom told me that was one of the broads from The Apprentice. The one with the middle-eastern/Egyptian type name. I reckon that's who she was alright cos she looked incredibly familiar and as soon as he said it....yes, that's who it was!

• Advertisement

Someone in the queue for the cloakroom told me that was one of the broads from The Apprentice. The one with the middle-eastern/Egyptian type name. I reckon that's who she was alright cos she looked incredibly familiar and as soon as he said it....yes, that's who it was!

That's hilarious..I was going to the jacks after the show and she was downstairs with his manager (dude who put out towels) waiting to go into the dressing room..spitroast perhaps?
    ! The dude behind the decks, which probably weren't even plugged in, didn't even have his headphones on.

I was upstairs for most of the show so could see right over the "dj"and they didnt even put vinyls on the turnatables, yet there were a couple of occasions he pretended to mix! jokers!

The funniest part of her appearance was when a mate of mine turned to me and roared "THE BINGO WINGS ON HER".:D

I can accept the late showing, DOOM hasn't got a reliable reputation and you get what you pay for. In terms of rapping, I thought he nailed it a few times and when he did it was impressive but at times I found him a little sloppy and off-time, generally not at his best.

I do have a problem with him effectively rapping over instrumentals played straight, that DJ wasn't part of DOOM's crew, clearly it was some random lad provided by the promoter/venue and he effectively stood there doing little more than sporadically shouting into a dead microphone. I feel when you pay for a live gig that side of the performance should be more than a Special Herbs Record on shuffle. He's toured with guy's like J-Rocc before, hasn't he? surely there's a wealth of talented DJ's he could tour with, or is what we got last night the norm?

Overall, I had a good night but the performance and organisation were completely without effort, 8 people on stage failing to collectivity fix an apple mac summed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭AJG

Fusking Poxy.

Your damn right I was shouting obscenities. Travel for the night cost me as much as the ticket. Missed the last DART so had to taxi it. Did he even play for forty minutes? Pretty much sealed the deal on attending any more hip hop shows another in a long list of turds. Rapping over a fusking ipod. But really I probably deserved it. Should have known better.

AJG wrote: »
    Fusking Poxy.

Your damn right I was shouting obscenities. Travel for the night cost me as much as the ticket. Missed the last DART so had to taxi it. Did he even play for forty minutes? Pretty much sealed the deal on attending any more hip hop shows another in a long list of turds. Rapping over a fusking ipod. But really I probably deserved it. Should have known better.

I hear ye! I like his music but he's a conman. And I think lots of other rappers leave their fans short too. And 30 quid to get in! It's not like he has a band to pay, not even a DJ. I saw Dreadzone for 20 quid and Arrested Development, who probably have a band, are the same price.

The bare minimum they can do is look like they actually have some idea what they're doing and aren't just winging it on the spot. If you're going to base all the music on a computer could you at least check the bleeding thing works before you go out? And not still be in hotel about half an hour after most people were expecting him to start (as we were told he still was somewhere around 10 pm), lying on the bed eating pies or whatever he was doing.

But you're right...we should have known better....for years rappers have charged top dollar for sub-standard shows and chumps like us keep going back for more. Hope the fukker knows how annoyed people were last night but I suspect he doesn't and if he did wouldn't care anyway. More cash-money in the bank for him, and he barely had to spend a penny of his own on the show, or waste a second of his life rehearsing. Good money if you can get it.

There's hardly any rap gigs on anyway. Just the usual stuff like Public Enemy which has a guaranteed turnout. I was dying to see the Clipse a few years back (after Hell Hath No Fury) but they didn't sell enough tickets so it got cancelled.

Rap gigs are almost always terrible alright. Best gig I went to in the last year was Dam Funk. He must have played for 3 hours had the whole place going ape**** with his keytar and vocoded singing. That's value for money. He dropped some mad obscure stuff in there with his own material too. Was amusing to be bouncing around the dance floor and everybody stopping like "how the fcuk do I dance to this... ah yeah right."

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

I thought MF DOOM was decent enough, I expected the set to be short and to the point. I dont feel ripped off because at least unlike many many other hip hop artist who come here he didnt spend 20 minutes doing the "all the ladies/fellas" ****e, yes I'm talking about you Rahzel.

I have come to expect a low standard when going to a hip hop gig in and in the 10 years or more that I have been going to see hip hop gigs I would say I can count on less than one hand the ones that have been of any reasonable quality. The rest have either been very mediocre or else I have just legged it early out of sheer boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

surball wrote: »
    I thought MF DOOM was decent enough, I expected the set to be short and to the point. I dont feel ripped off because at least unlike many many other hip hop artist who come here he didnt spend 20 minutes doing the "all the ladies/fellas" ****e, yes I'm talking about you Rahzel.

I have come to expect a low standard when going to a hip hop gig in and in the 10 years or more that I have been going to see hip hop gigs I would say I can count on less than one hand the ones that have been of any reasonable quality. The rest have either been very mediocre or else I have just legged it early out of sheer boredom.

It looks like it was good i couldn't make this then.

As for the highlighted, your standards must be way way too high. The only hip hop gig I have been to in the last couple of years that was not good was Ghostface in the Tivoli which was horrendous (even tho I am a massive fan :()

It could have been worse..I was at Raekwon before and he played for 35 mins then went down the back to sell merch!

Also glad that even though was only 45 mins, it was 45 mins of Doom. So many other acts pad out their sets with hiphop megamixes, which are an insult to the audience

The best show I have been to in recent years was Atmosphere in Crawdaddy. Late show on a Sat night, proper 2 hr set

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Ok maybe my standards are a bit high, and thinking back I have seen many fairly decent gigs but I have been blown away at only one or two hip hop gigs ever (Roots/Blackalicious).
    The only hip hop gig I have been to in the last couple of years that was not good was Ghostface in the Tivoli which was horrendous (even tho I am a massive fan :()

On the ghostface point - agreed it was brutal, he was better but not much at the village gig a year or two before that.

brother ali stands out as the best thing ive seen this year of any genre, alot of passion, raps that I could actually make out, smart and funny guy.

talib kweli was pretty decent in tripod although his solo output has been very hit and miss. He was miles better than when he played in the village where he just shouted his way through the set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement