Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tv/internet-whos liable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

ricman wrote: »
    As above the revenue has wide powers to get info, in order to collect any kind of tax or stamp duty,see what happened with the dirt enquiry ,re tax on interest
    from bank accounts.

Yes the revenue do but isnt it the post office that chase license dodgers? I don't think they have the same powers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thelazygun

Alot of you are saying that I would be liable if push comes to shove and tv licence inspector/ broadband company come knocking at the door.

If thats the case would my best bet to get the BB/cable put into the landlords name and then ask him to drop the bill into the house each month?

Also I know people who do not have a licence and have gotten letters from the inspector saying "they had called round but nobody was home". On the front of the letter it just said " the occupier" + address. The person I know has their name down as the bill payer with the Broadband company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

thelazygun wrote: »

If thats the case would my best bet to get the BB/cable put into the landlords name and then ask him to drop the bill into the house each month?

I can't see any landlord agreeing to this, as then they would be liable for any such charges.

Also, why don't you just pay for the tv licence. You can pay quarterly if need be now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thelazygun

I checked that out and you must set up a direct debit account to the pay for the licence(it has to be a year long licence). While I would have no problem paying for a licence, some of the other people will be leaving the house soon anyway so dont really want to give money if they are moving out.

I could tell the landlord that no one is interested in using the tv and if he could remove it. If there is no tv in the house, they should not be able to fine us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ricman wrote: »
    So all they have to do is say is house x has a cable tv connection,so there must be a tv there.THEY don,t have to give your name to the post office licensing dept.
    Exactly.

But they cant issue a legal notification without a name. If you live behind a gated, walled complex, they have no access to your premises and thus will not get a name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

If they take names off the electoral register isn't that encouraging people not to vote?

Advertisement