Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lots of fossils

Options
  • 09-08-2010 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi
    I wonder if you guys could help
    I purchased a derelict cottage in Roscommon last year and immediately
    noticed what looked like fossils lying around the back garden.
    I now am doing some demolition work and have noticed that the stones I am taking down from the walls also have these fossils.I am not very well versed in identifying what I am looking at but they look like tubes of various sizes along with other stuff with no real description.The local farmer seems uninterested in my finds but he said to me that I should uncover the mound on his land and have a look.I couldn't wait so as soon as he headed off I started to pull back the grass and moss from the mound and underneath is a huge piece of rock maybe
    6to 8foot across and about 4 foot out of the ground its full of uniformed holes and creases and has what look like tree limbs or bones coming out from within
    I thought it may be a tree stump which has been fossilized
    is it normal to find this amount of fossils in rural Ireland especially in a 300 year old house wall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If you could put up some pics of what you found, maybe some of the guys on here might be able to offer some advice as to what you have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sounds like carboniferous limestone. Very common throughout Ireland. Depending on where the building blocks were quarried you can get all sorts of fossils in them. What you're likely to see are outlines of shells, corals, crinoids that sort of thing.

As Kess73 said pics would be great.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jimmyhamster

thank you for the replies
    I will be going down tomorrow to do some more work and coming back to Dublin on Monday so I will take some pics and post them when I get back Monday evening
    Thanks again

Advertisement