Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick sizing question

• 09-08-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭

All,
    Can I ask, just how stretched out should one feel when riding on the hoods ? Should your arms be stretched, should your shoulders be relaxed etc ? Only asking as I know I feel very stretched out on mine and am wondering if its just me or is my bike simply too big for me. Obviously I can play around with the saddle position and have already bought a shorter stem but just thought I'd check......
    Thanks in advance.

Also, I'm not talking racing or aero position or anything like that, just for simple cycling for an hour or two at a time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As a rule of thumb, if you put your hands deep in the drops and bend over until your forearms are horizontal, your upper arms should be vertical.

Like this (NSFL).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Hmm.. I think this gets the point across better, as you will probably be able to bear looking at it for longer than a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Russman

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Hmm.. I think this gets the point across better, as you will probably be able to bear looking at it for longer than a heartbeat.

Muuuch better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

mmmmmm Victoria:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Better hope Troy Buswell doesn't get hold of her bike !!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Russman wrote: »
    Also, I'm not talking racing or aero position or anything like that, just for simple cycling for an hour or two at a time.
    The two images posted are very much racing positions. A more relaxed position is common enough with leisure cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Russman

Thanks Blorg, yeah, there's no way I'd be able for that low a position just yet :)
    Its more the reach from saddle to bars I was concerned about but I think I'm probably just not doing enough cycling at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i thought the best way to check this is to first check your sadle position, knee should be over the pedal axle when the cranks are at quarter to 3 (or quarter past 9) and when your hands are on the hoods at this position you shouldnt be able see the front wheel axle (hidden behind the handle bars). if its way off you probably need a shorter/longer stem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

once youve got that down, you could get the center of gravity thing going right by getting a weighing scales under one wheel and a phone book under the other and weighing yourself on the bike in the hood position, i think they say there should be 55% weight on the back wheel 45% on the front.

then youd be like this fella http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    The two images posted are very much racing positions. A more relaxed position is common enough with leisure cyclists.

Right, but does that make a difference to reach? Don't racier positions just involve more elbow bend and drop?

• Advertisement
Advertisement