Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Design

Options
  • 09-08-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

How do i learn it? Should i start with web site building creator like weebly? Or frontpage? or jump in at the deep end with dreamweaver?

Is it possible to learn it your self without being taught?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Not familiar with weebly, avoid frontpage altogether. First steps should be to learn HTML and css using a text editor i.e.notepad. This site should help a lot: http://www.w3schools.com/

It is one of the best teaching sites for HTML and css. It is not hard to learn the basics.

No point 'diving in' to dreamweaver without a foundation knowledge of HTML it would be a nightmare to use and would possibly lead to bad habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

Strongky agree with deliverance on this. Even designers whom use dreamweaver need to have a really solid foundation in html and coding skills if they want to be in any way competent in their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not familiar with weebly, avoid frontpage altogether. First steps should be to learn HTML and css using a text editor i.e.notepad. This site should help a lot: http://www.w3schools.com/

It is one of the best teaching sites for HTML and css. It is not hard to learn the basics.

No point 'diving in' to dreamweaver without a foundation knowledge of HTML it would be a nightmare to use and would possibly lead to bad habits.

+1

Just to refine that advice a small bit. Learn in this order: HTML but don't spend too much time on this as HTML has moved on to XHTML. Get the general idea of it. Then learn XHTML and CSS properly and use validation tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

tricky D wrote: »
    HTML has moved on to XHTML

and back to html again. So not really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lol.

Well, kinda. Nevertheless, I'll only have HTML5 in research etc. mode for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I made my first website with Notepad++
    Dreamweaver would be industry standard program but its really just indended to speed up the process as opposed to writing all the HTML.
    The point is you understand the HTML/CSS, but you insert it in two clicks instead of writing a few lines. You spend most your time in code view anyway.

Go find tutorials to follow, but focus on just a notepad type program and browser to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Even designers whom use dreamweaver need to have a really solid foundation in html and coding skills if they want to be in any way competent in their job.

I wouldnt class you as useful unless you can code basic HTML and CSS in notepad without relying on the use of dreamweaver. It is a must in this industry, no bones about it.

This includes

h1/2/3/4/p/b/i/u/br
    ordered/unordered lists
    div tags
    class'
    tables

Its not much to learn, but it will take you a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I love how nobody advised him to actually learn how to design for the web. Coding is the easy part.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I love how nobody advised him to actually learn how to design for the web. Coding is the easy part.

it probably has to do with the fact that the question was aimed at software that is used for coding, and not design software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

OP, go to this website and learn the coding basics http://www.w3schools.com/

It's the place to go to learn web coding. Start with HTML and CSS. While you're doing that read up on design fundamentals, interface design, how people browse the web; basically fill your head with theory as you go along. Then as opposed to sloppily copying other websites without a clue as to what you're doing or why, you will be having a blast sketching ideas on paper and making them come to life on the screen.
    red_ice wrote: »
    it probably has to do with the fact that the question was aimed at software that is used for coding, and not design software.

I wasn't even talking about design software. Design software for the web? A sketchbook, pencil, Notepad++ and a knowledge of how to design for the web :D

The thread title "Website design" and the first question "How do I learn it" is what prompted me to make my original statement. I can understand where you're coming from but still you can never learn how to build a website unless you learn the design theory behind it. I just thought it'd be worth mentioning to him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

OP, go to this website and learn the coding basics http://www.w3schools.com/

It's the place to go to learn web coding. Start with HTML and CSS. While you're doing that read up on design fundamentals, interface design, how people browse the web; basically fill your head with theory as you go along. Then as opposed to sloppily copying other websites without a clue as to what you're doing or why, you will be having a blast sketching ideas on paper and making them come to life on the screen.

I wasn't even talking about design software. Design software for the web? A sketchbook, pencil, Notepad++ and a knowledge of how to design for the web :D

The thread title "Website design" and the first question "How do I learn it" is what prompted me to make my original statement. I can understand where you're coming from but still you can never learn how to build a website unless you learn the design theory behind it. I just thought it'd be worth mentioning to him :)
    Baby steps, learn to do html first then go for css. Then learn the design 'stuff'. Design in my opinion is something that you have or have not. It is a process that can be learned in the interm to a point via those that have gone before.

Design is something that one just has and it is teachable to a degree, it is a whole other area of creativity really. The OP will produce as such based on their own interest.

In the meantime notepad is a good start.

Baby steps, learn to do html first then go for css. Then learn the design 'stuff'. Design in my opinion is something that you have or have not. It is a process that can be learned in the interm to a point via those that have gone before.

Design is something that one just has and it is teachable to a degree, it is a whole other area of creativity really.

Completely wrong. Design isn't art or artistic talent, it's visual problem solving.

I agree some people will never have an eye to appreciate good design, but suggesting that it's something that you're born with and there isn't a method and theory to good design is just wrong.

Design software for the web? A sketchbook, pencil, Notepad++ and a knowledge of how to design for the web :D

Exactly my point, maybe i should have elaborated on that.

You are subject to art, it is what it is, there is no right or wrong. Design is as Pixelcraft said, problem solving.. via aesthetics, visual weight, and tone.

i suppose everyone has their own way of doing things. For me its function first, which would more closely relate to the above comment(i feel). I know a lot of people out there that would go for how it looks, and worry about the way it works later. This proved to be hazardous to their work because they didn't know, or couldn't figure out how to make their design work.

red_ice wrote: »
    I know a lot of people out there that would go for how it looks, and worry about the way it works later. This proved to be hazardous to their work because they didn't know, or couldn't figure out how to make their design work.

Yeah this is a good point, I know I mentioned 'visual' but design goes further - design includes the functioning pieces of the website. I don't mean the actual technology or development process, but the thinking behind what the user will experience and how it will actually work is all part of design imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

Learn to code from scratch in notepad or the like (both X/HTML and CSS), then start messing with Dreamweaver. It's a very easy transition.

And for the love of Jaysus and his Ma, whatever anyone says, STAY AWAY FROM TABLES FOR LAYOUT. Never, ever, ever, ever!

That done, validate code and you're good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Unsinnig wrote: »
    Learn to code from scratch in notepad or the like (both X/HTML and CSS), then start messing with Dreamweaver. It's a very easy transition.

And for the love of Jaysus and his Ma, whatever anyone says, STAY AWAY FROM TABLES FOR LAYOUT. Never, ever, ever, ever!

That done, validate code and you're good to go!

Is html the code you use for ebay listings? eg it will have size or font colour in brackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

Bob Z wrote: »
    Is html the code you use for ebay listings? eg it will have size or font colour in brackets?

I'm not sure, but I would go out on a limb and say yes it is. Either HTML or something like BB code, but the grammar and vocabulary used would be roughly the same.

I started learning HTML back in 2000 by reading "Sam's Teach yourself HTML in 24hours', which was a great book and very simple to follow. The newest one is available at Amazon. I'd highly suggest it as a starting point!

Once you're comfotable with HTML/XHTML, the transition to learning CSS is easy.

Like Deliverance said, W3Schools is a great resource too. The HTML section starts HERE

If you're looking to just use HTML / CSS for ebay stuff, I'd suggest focusing on the two languages and not on Dreamweaver, as it'll just get confusing at this early stage of your learning.

Hope that helps. I tend to ramble on occasion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FintanK

W3schools is a great site to start from when your finished and want to go into more of the design (photoshop illustrator etc) go to...

http://tutplus.com

I've learned so much from this site its unbelievable :D

Start doing the tutorials and expand a little creating your own designs.

After a while you'll be on your way to having a nice portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I use DreamWeaver all the time, never mind Notepad ++ or notepad for that matter, the Plus side of DreamWeaver is that is easy to use, and you have a choice with HTML coding or Site Design, DreamWeaver Works great with Photoshop CS5 have them both and work really well with one another,

Please Note, that Dreamweaver does not work that well with IE what looks Really Well in FireFox may look like Hell in IE, dont have IE 8 but maybe Microsoft fixed their bug of a Program so make sure you have it all Working and looking great on Both.

for Training, get your hands on

CBT Nugget, DreamWeaver & javaS. and also get Lynda for Photoshop,Dreamweaver, and also JavaS.

Happy Web Design.

Advertisement