Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free space reducing on Sat Nav

Options
  • 09-08-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a garmin nuvi 610 sat nav. I mostly use it to listen to audiobooks while travelling. I've noticed that the amount of free space I have seems to be reducing as I load/unload the books. For example, I have c.83mb of free space for my new book but my previous book was 103mb, yet there was no problem. All I do is put the book on, listen to it, then take it off again. I don't use it for music or anything else. Am I missing something blindingly obvious here? If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you loaded any new maps lately?
    Any new voices?
    Can you unit use a SD memory card?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

Not directly related to a map download I think since my last one was a while ago and this has happened since if you know what I mean.

I could use a memory card I suppose but I was wondering why it was happenening on hard drive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can you browse the directory of the device & see what files are taking up the space?
    Does this device store screenshots for example?

I deleted a few folders that I was fairly sure wouldn't damage the unit's main functions like the 'cars', etc. but as you can probably guess, I'm not that technically minded so I didn't chance deleting anything else.

Generally extra voices take up a lot of space.
    If your using for media I would strongly recommend a memory card.
    Can you post a screen shot of the directory?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, how would I do that? As I say, I not much of a techie.:o

Open up the root directory in a folder & maximise to full screen,.
    Press ctrl + Print Screen (its usually above the insert key , to the right of the enter key) Open Paint (Or any other photo editing software) & press ctrl v . Save to desktop & upload in a post here.

Sorry, that doesn't seem to work for me. Saw on a website that keys may be different for a laptop but can't figure what ones. Apologies for this, must be like talking to a two-year old.

Is this coming through?

Can you do the same for the contents of the folders
    Audible
    Garmin
    JPEG
    MP3

• Advertisement

The MP3 and JPEG folders are empty. The Audible folder contains the current audiobook segment and a folder called 'position' which is also empty. Just to advise, I've deleted the 'help', 'poi' and 'vehicles' before adding this segment of the audiobook which is only 2mb bigger than the first segment of the same book.

TBH I can't see anything obvious. I don't have a Garmin device myself. If anyone here has similar it would be interesting to compare the directory contents.

What I would advise is to make a note of dates from when loading content now. After you delete that if the space has reduced , look for files & folders created on those dates.

Cheers Koolkid. It's not a massive problem or anything, it just seemed unusual to me and I was wondering if it was anything obvious. Appreciate you taking the time.

Anytime.
    Let me know how you get on.

Cheers Bedlam,

I've stuck in a memory card so there's no problem on that score but it still seems a little odd to me. I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before and what causes it.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Dammo wrote: »
    Cheers Bedlam,

I've stuck in a memory card so there's no problem on that score but it still seems a little odd to me. I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before and what causes it.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you have tracklogging enabled? How big is your Garmin/GPX folder?

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Could you have tracklogging enabled? How big is your Garmin/GPX folder?

Tracklogging? No idea what that is even (see earlier post for admission of technical incompetence!).

I can understand that updating maps might reduce free space, it's just that after updating the map I was able to load a book segment of 103mb but a few days ago I didn't have space for 82mb despite not uploading anything in the meantime. Just struck me as odd.

The garmin/gpx folder is 5kb

Advertisement