Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

guest wifi access to home network

• 09-08-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

How would you go about setting up guest access to your wifi

ie for them to get internet access only (ie not be able to see your network files)

I'm running windows 7 professional

I though it'd be a setting within the router options but couldn't see anything obvious

anyone?

cheers eske

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

It depends what kind of router you have. It may be that it doesn't have any features like that and the only way to do it would be disable file sharing on your own machine to make sure they can't get in, or at least use a decent password on all you shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I don't think there's any easy way to do this as the poster above stated: it's down to the router.

One method would be to buy another router or access point, set them up on dhcp on a seperate subnet. This will keep off most people. If you have a good one with something like ddwrt or openwrt on it you might be able to set up firewall rules that would prevent computers connecting to the rest of the network.

I know this doesn't quite fully transfer across and i apologise if this come across as harsh. but i heard some good advice a while ago. Never lend a friend money. If you can afford it, just give it to them. It'll save friendships. It's tough but i wouldn't lend a neighbour internet. If they're really stuck for money, get them a mobile broadband usb dongle with some already topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

@jpl888 man you're all over the board this evening helping people :))

so it is the router that you'd expect to setup that kind of functionality

it's a cisco linksys wag320n - it was kinda pricey so I'd have expected it to be able to handle guest accounts

@wolfric didn't come across as harsh at all -

I know exactly what you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

It's possible on a WRT54G using third party firmware.

However, the WAG320N official firmware doesn't support VLANs and an attempt to get OpenWrt on it ran into difficulty.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies guys - looks like I'm hosed

It's a long shot but you could have a look at the "internet access policy" section on the router and see if there's a way you could use that.
    The Internet Access Policy screen allows you to define
    policies that are used to block or allow specific kinds
    of Internet usage and traffic, such as Internet access,
    designated applications, websites, and inbound traffic
    during specific days and times, and for a specified list of
    devices in your network.

eske wrote: »
    @jpl888 man you're all over the board this evening helping people :))

so it is the router that you'd expect to setup that kind of functionality

it's a cisco linksys wag320n - it was kinda pricey so I'd have expected it to be able to handle guest accounts

Don't be impressed it's only shameless self promotion to get people looking at my site, raise it in Google and maybe get a customer or 2 from the board if I impress enough.

BTW if you are the impetuous type you could setup a spare machine as a 80211g/n wireless router and do whatever you needed with it.

It would be a long and interesting road for you but you would learn a lot.

I wrote an article the other day on setting up the wireless part:-

http://www.johnlewis.ie/2010/08/06/ubuntu-as-a-wireless-80211n-access-point-router/

Advertisement