Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Transport Authority plans for Kilcock Road, Maynooth

Options
  • 09-08-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd draw attention to a plan that could have big enough implications for traffic management in Maynooth.

The National Transport Authority (NTA) have allocated €1m to enhancement of pedestrian, cycling and public transport on the Kilcock Road-from the start of the road adjacent to Dunnes Strores/the Parish Church as far as Laragbryan Cemetary.

The proposals would mean the closure of both he left turn filter lane leading from Mill St to the Kilcock Road and also the closure of the left turn filter lane leading from the Kilcock Road onto the Moyglare Road.

As someone who does cycle the route on occasion, I don't see the need for more cycle lanes-there are existing lanes that are lightly used and the road as far as Laraghbryan is fairly wide as is.

At the same time, creation of bus lanes is a strange idea given that Dublin Bus is considering scrapping the route. In any event, I don't see buses stuck in traffic at that junction.

Removal of the filter lanes would make traffic flow through the town even worse. Added to that the fact that much of Maynooth is not currently served by the bus (e.g. Moyglare) and funding is an issue that is delaying extension of existing services.

I am against the plans for the reasons mentioned above-I'm not anti-cyclist or anything like it, but with money in such short supply at the moment, I'm sure there are more productive ways to spend €1m around Maynooth at the moment-in ways that will benefit more people than the current proposals.

Plans are available to view on the Kildare County Council website or at the Maynooth library.

If you feel strongly enough about the issue, please consider making a submission under the following heading:

"Traffic Management Improvement on Kilcock Road (R148) adjacent to NUI Maynooth"

by August 27 to

Senior Executive Officer
    Transport & Public Safety
    Kildare County Council
    Devoy Park
    Naas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Is there an email address to lodge an objection or is this a snail mail only type of thing?

Loosing those left filter lanes sounds like a terrible and very backward idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

kdouglas wrote: »
    Is there an email address to lodge an objection or is this a snail mail only type of thing?

I don't know tbh, written postal submissions would be the norm for planning issues I'd imagine.
    kdouglas wrote: »
    Loosing those left filter lanes sounds like a terrible and very backward idea.

Yes, I certainly don't see how this is for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It seems like an incredibly pointless waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

I Can't believe KCC even have a traffic plan for maynooth.
    Buses and hgv's find it impossible to turn from straffan road on to main street and again from main streen on to mill street.
    Cars holding traffic up while trying to turn down all the side alley's.
    A set of lights every 100 yards, christmas trees are jelous of this place.
    Now they are spending a million on this when roads and footpaths are falling apart in other towns and villages around the county.

Have to say, I avoid driving through maynooth like the plague.
    Is "complete waste of money" valid grounds to object!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

From my experience of driving in Maynooth there are far better ways of spending the €1m; in fact the part of the road they are talking about developing is one of the least of their worries...

STForSale wrote: »
    I Can't believe KCC even have a traffic plan for maynooth.
    Buses and hgv's find it impossible to turn from straffan road on to main street and again from main streen on to mill street.
    Cars holding traffic up while trying to turn down all the side alley's.
    A set of lights every 100 yards, christmas trees are jelous of this place.
    Now they are spending a million on this when roads and footpaths are falling apart in other towns and villages around the county.

Have to say, I avoid driving through maynooth like the plague.
    Is "complete waste of money" valid grounds to object!

In fairness, HGVs are not supposed to be in the town in the first place (Centra manage to block the Main St every so often).

But yes, the town is a bit of a mess traffic wise. No planning, but nothing new there.

"Complete waste of money" is valid, but you'd need to outline why you think it is so. I posted my objection yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

That's the worst idea since the introduction of the filter lane for turning
    from Main St. onto Mill st. Because of that, traffic from Parson St. can't
    get onto Main St. as the one remaining lane is blocked up.
    Also, does anyone know why the bus shelter is outside Caulfields instead
    of the pharmacy :eek: Does anyone ever get a bus from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

At first glance indeed these plans look pretty daft , you would think KCC had better / more urgent things to spend their money on.

The setup of the traffic lights within the town can reduce the town to a standstill at times , why not look at that ?

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lasereye

a new bus termimus for the 67a route is planned for the moyglare rd

Lasereye wrote: »
    a new bus termimus for the 67a route is planned for the moyglare rd

Indeed there is, but not funded by the NTA, and money may be an issue to getting the bus to serve Moyglare Road.

And 'planned' is the word, no agreement on location-some discussion here.

And, if the NTA proposals are adopted, the closure of the filter lane onto the Kilcock Road will cause delays on the bus when heading towards Moyglare....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

I just read the plans, some very strange things in it alright.

What's the point of a buslane in that location? A 'busgate' seems a bit of overkill too. For the very odd 66 or bus eireann?

The plan also calls for the removal of the pedestrian bridge. So instead of walking over the road pedestrians will have to cross it.

I wonder how will Manor Mills and Aldi feel about it being a lot harder for their customers to get to them.

It basically looks like they've thought up a good way to change what was a relatively free-flowing junction into another bottleneck in the town.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    It basically looks like they've thought up a good way to change what was a relatively free-flowing junction into another bottleneck in the town.

Indeed. It seems as if the devil truly has made work for idle hands. Interestingly, our local FF TD trumpeted this funding as a great thing for Maynooth in her last newsletter-it seems clear to me that she has no idea what's involved in the plans.

I got a letter from KCC acknowledging my submission today, I hope that others made the effort to drop them a line as well.

A decent result. Extract from an e-mail sent by KCC below-they have agreed to retain the left slip lane from Mill Street to Kilcock Road and they have also agreed to a temporary closure of the Kilcock Road to Moyglare Road slip lane for 6 months and to monitor the effect on traffic.
    Please find hereunder the suggested amendments to the Part 8 Managers
    Report:

With reference to point 2 on page 24 of the Manager's Report (September
    2010), it is proposed to amend the scheme to retain a left turn lane
    from Mill Street onto Kilcock Road. The existing free-flow lane,
    controlled by a "flashing-amber" signal will be amended geometrically to
    improve the alignment of the existing cycletrack on Mill Street
    approaching the Moyglare Road junction and to allow for a shorter
    crossing time for pedestrians at this junction. Traffic will continue
    to be permitted to use this left turn lane at all times. This amendment
    is to facilitate improved safety measures for pedestrians and cyclists
    whilst mitigating against a back up of stationary traffic from this
    junction through the town centre, thereby increasing the risk to
    vulnerable road users elsewhere in the town.

An additional item (number 9) is to be included on page 25 of the
    Manger's Report, proposing to close the left turn lane from Kilcock Road
    onto Moyglare Road, as a temporary measure for a duration of 6 months.
    This will allow the monitoring process of the pilot project to confirm
    (or not) that the deletion of this lane will not have a significant
    effect on traffic safety and blocking back from this junction through
    the adjoining junction at the entrance to the Manor Mills Shopping
    Centre. Should there be no demonstrative impact on traffic flows then
    the measure will be made permanent.

There were a total of 38 submissions. Please feedback to the Council any difficulties encountered during the closure of the slip lane from Kilcock Road to Moyglare Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Please feedback to the Council any difficulties encountered during the closure of the slip lane from Kilcock Road to Moyglare Road!

I'll be letting them know every time I get stuck in traffic caused the the lack of turning lane. When will this happen do you know? Traffic around there will be mental around Christmas,

Advertisement