Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can prsa be cashed in if no longer working?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi there. I know someone who has a prsa account which they were making contriibutions towards as well as their previous employer. They are no longer working and will not be taking up employment due to family reasons. Can they close the account and cash the fund in? I know that there may be penalties. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No.

A PRSA is a type of pension. It is a savings plan for your retirement. It can only be encashed at retirement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRSAs

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I think there are certain limited circs where you can cash in a PRSA - you have to be over 50 though and have an alternative guaranteed income - so perhaps not likely to apply..........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yeah think if you retire on the grounds of ill health or something (think over 50/55 etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

There are a few exception to encashing a prsa,

i)You have not made any contributions in two years

ii) the value is under 650 or it has been three months since the prsa provider has asked you to transfer your prsa to another provider or make a contribution.

In which case the prsa provider may refund the contributions

Advertisement