Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Respraying a tractor trailer

• 09-08-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm replacing floor in my tractor trailer at the moment and have decided to respray and freshen up the chassis while I'm at it. The trailer is 20 years old but in relatively good nick.

I've a 150L compressor and a devellbiss spray gun at my disposal.

I'm basically looking for advice/tips on how to go about this project to get the best finish that will last as long as possible.
    1. How should I clean off rust off chassis, wire brush on angle grinder or could/should I hire a sandblaster??
    2. What kind of primer is best?? I've seen loads of different types on internet, zinc, highbuild etc etc, I'm confused!!:o Then is there undercoats necessary??
    3. Should i buy a cheap spray gun for applying primer?
    4. What air pressure should I spray at? It says 50psi in owners manual, but I've seen guys on internet spraying at around 28psi
    All help and ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

1) depends on how good a finish you want. sandblasting is the best job, but you have to be lined up to paint straight away afterwards, as the bare steel will rust really quickly.

2) if you get back to bare metal then an etch primer is the best, this literally has some mild acid in it that will eat into the metal and bond directly to it. High build could then be applied on top of that, it's like a spray on filler, but really unnessecary on a trailer unless you're planning on showing it or something.

3) if you go with a high build primer then you'll probably need a different jet for the spraygun, a devibliss jet could cost as much as a cheap gun, but would probably be a better job. In my limited experience every gun is different so you'd be better getting to know the adjustments on the devibliss with the primer.

4) if the gun wants 50psi then give it 50psi, every gun is different. lads spraying at 30psi are likely using HVLP guns which run at a lower pressure.

Personally, I'd wire brush the rust, and brush on a coat of galvafroid, or davids Zinc 182 primer then topcoat with syn-oxide or similar as it's only a trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks Johnboy for the tips, much appreciated. Was thinking as much for the chassis, I'I take your advice and more than likely brush paint it after wire brushing it, then fit the new floor boards.

If I've a chance then before the winter, I'I spray the body and creels, just to get a better finish. The trailer was factory sprayed before, so I'd like to return it to as near original condition as possible, that includes the correct colour top coat.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

im after doing a fair few rims lately and ive been using a wire brush on the angle grinder to clean up back to the bare steel on bad spots of rust then just a quick rub over every where else to take off flakes of paint that would just peel under the new paint. Once ive wire brushed them i primed them with a rust primer that your able to put on over rust and then i sprayed them. I find its almost pointless painting unless you prime. Ive found where its been done like that before and you power wash it the paint flys straight off or rust forms underneath it because it wasnt cleaned beforehand

what kind of primer do you use Denis086? Do you spray it on?

Ya I'm goin getting a wirebrush for the angle grinder tomorrow and i'I see how I get on.

Would syn-oxide be a good paint to put on after priming? I don't think it can be sprayed on though, can it??:confused:

I was thinking of wirebrushing, priming, using a 4" roller to paint on syn-oxide. I'm starting with chassis...... Is my plan a good idea?

Could I spray over this at later date if I wanted to?

• Advertisement

i cant remember but it was dear enough when i bought it ill have a look and get back to you if your using those wire brushed wear glasses and a dust mask the amount of **** and rust and wires that get fired about is unreal after you power wash it with the turbo head :eek: i brushed it on and sprayed the top coat but i sanded the last layer of primer lightly to smooth it out
    im not too sure about the oxide wheter or not it can be sprayed im not sure if youd have to change the jet and im sure youd have to thin it fairly well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

lowe rust primer is good stuff for an undercoat.

hoodrats wrote: »
    lowe rust primer is good stuff for an undercoat.
    checked this mornig this is the stuff i was using great stuff and says you can apply it on over rust ;)

Thanks for the tips lads, I'i check out that primer;)

Advertisement