Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

driving with one blind eye

• 09-08-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

is some one aloud too drive if there blind in one of there eyes. would the insurance have too be told about this condition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

i'm not sure, but i did kno wa man who had a glass left eye and drove for many years, don't kno wwhether he ever told anyone though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Maybe they might have to do a customised test? Not sure tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The insurance company would need to be told or they may not pay out on a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

they have had laser too see if it would work but i doesn't. i'v been in the car while they were driving and text at the same time. it was really scary too be in the car with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can hold / renew an EU license when you are blind in one eye provided you've got used to it and you got medical backup:
    6.2. Applicants for a driving licence, or for the renewal of such a licence, who have total functional loss of vision in one eye or who use only one eye (e.g. in the case of diplopia) must have a visual acuity of at least 0,5, with corrective lenses if necessary. The competent medical authority must certify that this condition of monocular vision has existed for a sufficiently long time to allow adaptation and that the field of vision in this eye meets the requirement laid down in paragraph 6.1.

Linky

Edit: the Irish interpretation of the EU law in Cookie Monster's PDF link seems to be pretty spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

cena wrote: »
    they have had laser too see it would work but i doesn't. i'v beem in the car while there driving and text at the same time. its really scary too be in the car with them

I'm sorry but i laughed when i read this......one eye, driving and texting !! are you for real ?? be grateful your still breathing !! This guy does'nt deserve a licence !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ricardo G wrote: »
    I'm sorry but i laughed when i read this......one eye, driving and texting !! are you for real ?? be grateful your still breathing !! This guy does'nt deserve a licence !!

Judging by the amount of mistakes I think they were typing that message as they drove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

amcalester wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of mistakes I think they were typing that message as they drove.

ROFL
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I injured my left eye about four years ago and drove with an eye patch for two or three weeks, I got used to it though. My depth (distance) perception was a bigger problem than my vision. If it were a permanent injury the insurance company would have to be informed.
    I took a risk really.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

cena wrote: »
    is some one aloud too drive if there blind in one of there eyes. would the insurance have too be told about this condition.
    I believe they would be allowed to but what I ont know is what, if any effect it would have on insurance. When I went about it ,I understood that as long as one eye was undamaged you are ok to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I have about 50% in one eye and 100% in the other, about 10 years ago when i went for my eye test for my first license, the optician told me "technically" i dont have good enough eye sight for a drivers license. As far as i remember, he said the past rate had to be 60% or above in both eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had stitches in my eyelid a few years ago (ouch :() and I wasn't let near my company car and the doc told me I wasn't to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the person did not declare it with his insurance company he could have his policy null and void in the case of an accident.

I know for definite insurance companies won't cover people with other disabilities such as plasters and castings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ya, because the other eye compensates for it - that's the case for me anyway :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The cops are hardly going to turn a blind eye to it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

It says it in the little section on your license doesn't it? Same as for anyway who has to wear glasses while driving.

IMO that test is bollox anyway. I've very bad short vision and I somewhow passed the eyesight test and was told I don't need my glasses while driving. Well, I do need to wear them, so that's what I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My acuities are normal but I have no field of vision to the left side in both eyes. I wont get a licence because of the fact that both eyes are affected but I thought as long as one eye was good you might get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No, Its a disaster, I had a patch for a week.

You don't have any peripheral vision, its even difficult crossing the road.

Your just fooling yourself if you think you can drive with one eye.

No, Its a disaster, I had a patch for a week.

You don't have any peripheral vision, its even difficult crossing the road.

Your just fooling yourself if you think you can drive with one eye.

I know at least two people who have been driving for years with only the use of one eye. One of them drives a crane for a living also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I know at least two people who have been driving for years with only the use of one eye. One of them drives a crane for a living also.

I found crossing the road stressful as you had to rotate your head and body all the way around to keep checking traffic coming from both sides. Depth perception was an issue as well.

Maybe you get used to it, I've heard it can take 3 months to adjust, must be horrible for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

My girlfriends father has a glass eye and he is well able to drive. Of course, Im just taking it on good faith that he has informed his insurance company about it...

Its a little different having vision in only one eye permantently and using an eye patch for a few weeks. Those of us who are used to having vision in both eyes would find it very disorientating to only be able to use one eye for a while and therefore should not be allowed to drive. Someone who has had the condition for a length of time however would be much more used to it and therefore could well adjust in order to allow them to drive safely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I knew someone who drove a car with only one arm.
    And it wasn't an automatic either, nope, manual gearbox.
    Think he used to change gear by reaching through the steering wheel.

Advertisement