Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry Blossom closed by the FSAI.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

The reasons for the closure of the Cherry Blossom in Summer are given in today's Independent:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cockroaches-and-rat-droppings-lead-to-record-kitchen-closures-2482397.html
    Meanwhile, copious rat droppings in the kitchen, storage and customer area, along with gnawed packaging and grease-encrusted surfaces under the fridge and cookers, resulted in the closure of a Co Wicklow takeaway.

The Cherry Blossom Takeaway and Restaurant at Unit 4, Watson and Johnson Centre, Church Road, Greystones, Co Wicklow, was shut on July 28, but was allowed to reopen when the problems were cleaned up.

Contrary to what Conan The Contrarian said (02-09-2010 10:44), it had EVERYTHING to do with food hygiene, and nothing to do with H&S issues associated with the size of the kitchen...

I leave it to others to comment on the honesty of the proprietor - I know that I will never order from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Just read that this morning. And to think I was tempted to go back there a few weeks back. No thanks!

ah sure the kitchen was too small..... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Two separate paragraphs!

One relating to a place closed down due to rats droppings and the second paragraph relating to Cherry Blossom having problems.

Try to put things in context before posting please.

FYI Cherry Blossom food continues to be delicious and copious.

Two separate paragraphs!

One relating to a place closed down due to rats droppings and the second paragraph relating to Cherry Blossom having problems.

Yes, I thought so at first as well, but the style of the whole article is first to describe the issue, then to name the offending restaurant/outlet/takeaway, and named they all are.

Was there ANOTHER takeaway in Wicklow closed on exactly the same day - July 28 - as the Cherry Blossom??? (See my post of 13-08-2010, 05:21 which lists the enforcement order records.) Check the records yourself, there wasn't.

Ergo, the two paragraphs refer to one and the same place.

Try to think through the whole issue before posting please.

Glad you enjoy the "delicious and copious food".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Two separate paragraphs!

The two paragraphs, as quoted, may lead you to believe that there are two restaurants discussed, however the article as a whole would lead most to believe that all premises mentioned in the article were closed for hygiene reasons and that both paras do indeed relate to Cherry Blossom.

It's a shame, but I won't be spending money there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Two separate paragraphs!

my god, what difference does it make how the article was written, the facts are there for all to see....
    i'm glad i never darkened their doors nor ever will be...

as for their food continuing to be delicious....this implies you were happy with the food before?.... sorry but i wouldn't eat food that was made in that environment... but sure work away yourself

Thanks I will enjoy... its probably the cleanest most inspected establishment in Wicklow, nowhere safer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

At the end of the day its their own fault. There nothing more important, when running a restaurant, of upholding the highest levels of cleanliness. When you get found out you've got nobody else to blame but yourself and dont really deserve any sympathy.

My father in law worked for the London Electricity Board years ago and was in many kitchens sorting out electrics. He didnt eat out for years after what he saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Thanks I will enjoy... its probably the cleanest most inspected establishment in Wicklow, nowhere safer...

pre or post inspection?...

the fact that it was let go that way obviously means the owner doesnt care about hygiene, along with the fact he was lying through his teeth to the poster above means a lot of people will give it a wide berth... you reap what you sow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Conan The Contrarian

Sincere apologies to all concerned. I was merely passing on the owner's explanation for the closure, as he told it to my face last August. He obviously did me up like a kipper.
    Although I did say here (on 3/9/10)...

"I'm only reporting what the proprietor told me. But maybe we should take anything from a vested interest (i.e. the owner) with a pinch of salt."

Clearly, it would appear that a mountain of salt is required where the proprietor of the Cherry Blossom is concerned. Lying barsteward.

darter wrote: »
    Contrary to what Conan The Contrarian said (02-09-2010 10:44), it had EVERYTHING to do with food hygiene, and nothing to do with H&S issues associated with the size of the kitchen...

I leave it to others to comment on the honesty of the proprietor - I know that I will never order from there.

• Advertisement

Unless you have other information about subsequent inspections, there are but three certainties here:

1) On inspection, Cherry Blossom was closed on July 28th 2010 due to its unhygienic kitchen (copious rat droppings, gnawed packaging, grease-encrusted surfaces).
    2) On re-inspection, Cherry Blossom was allowed to re-open on August 8th 2010.
    3) The proprietor lied about why the Cherry Blossom was closed.

So we know that the proprietor was prepared to sell food from an unclean kitchen infested with rats, and then to lie about it.

Whether he has had a total change in attitude and now runs the cleanest kitchen in the whole of Wicklow, I am not prepared to take the chance.

As regards other establishments, innocent until proven guilty. And Cherry Blossom was shown to be guilty.

Only two certainties, Darter. The third is merely heresay. We know that someone says that they were lied to by the proprietor. Would hate to see you get into trouble over something you were told by an anonymous stranger, however good the intent.

Only two certainties, Darter. The third is merely heresay. We know that someone says that they were lied to by the proprietor. Would hate to see you get into trouble over something you were told by an anonymous stranger, however good the intent.

We have first-hand evidence and testimony in the prior post to mine from Conan The Contrarian that he was lied to by the proprietor last August. Quod erat demonstrandum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Conan The Contrarian

Mike, I actually came on here originally to defend the restaurant in the face of what were then unsubstantiated rumours and innuendo concerning its closure. Just prior, I had had a face-to-face conversation with the owner, whose explanation for the closure was at odds with said rumours and innuendo.

It would now appear - from today's Indo article, at least - that the reasons for closure were in fact hygiene-related and not space and employee-safety related, as I had been told in no uncertain terms by the owner.

I now believe I was misled by the proprietor, whose explanation I had, somewhat naievely perhaps, accepted in good faith and repeated here last Sept.

Whether you choose to believe me or not is entirely your business, but I can assure you it's not hearsay.

Mike, I actually came on here originally to defend the restaurant in the face of what were then unsubstantiated rumours and innuendo concerning its closure. Just prior, I had had a face-to-face conversation with the owner, whose explanation for the closure was at odds with said rumours and innuendo.

It would now appear - from today's Indo article, at least - that the reasons for closure were in fact hygiene-related and not space and employee-safety related, as I had been told in no uncertain terms by the owner.

I now believe I was misled by the proprietor, whose explanation I had, somewhat naievely perhaps, accepted in good faith and repeated here last Sept.

Whether you choose to believe me or not is entirely your business, but I can assure you it's not hearsay.
    I am not for one second calling you a liar, please believe that.

However, for someone else to quote what you say as fact is bad form. If the owner decided to sue Darter for Libel (or Boards, for that matter), Darter's defence can only be based on what you told us was stated to you by the owner. That's heresay. It's no better than overhearing a conversation on a bus and reporting it as fact.

If Darter said that the third point came about because he himself was lied to by the owner, that's fine.

Anyway, apologies if you think I disbelieved you. That was not the case.

However, for someone else to quote what you say as fact is bad form. If the owner decided to sue Darter for Libel (or Boards, for that matter), Darter's defence can only be based on what you told us was stated to you by the owner. That's heresay. It's no better than overhearing a conversation on a bus and reporting it as fact.

If Darter said that the third point came about because he himself was lied to by the owner, that's fine.

I appreciate the legal nuances here and rephrase my third certainty to:

3) There exists testimony from another poster that is prima facia evidence that the proprietor lied to at least one person about the reason for the closure.

darter wrote: »
    I appreciate the legal nuances here and rephrase my third certainty to:

3) There exists testimony from another poster that is prima facia evidence that the proprietor lied to at least one person about the reason for the closure.
    *chuckles!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Two separate paragraphs!

My daughter got some food from there last night.
    It was very nice but certainly not "copious amounts"
    Just the normal amount of food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

bogtreader wrote: »
    My daughter got some food from there last night.
    It was very nice but certainly not "copious amounts"
    Just the normal amount of food

Blandpebbles is actually 3ft 6 so everything looks copious. :D

Why bother moaning about a place you don't eat at anyway?

And Ciaran can stop talking about my W**g now thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Top notch grub in The Cherry Blossom. Has been for years, and I've been going there since it first opened. Never got sick from anything I've eaten there, and believe me that's been a lot!

And what's even better now, is that the health and safety people have given it the green light. Fill your boots people! I'll be filling mine with a 9a with Fried Rice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

An hour or so after youve eaten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I agree with IrishKev, a fine eatery indeed.

A weekend night out, a feed of pints in the Burnaby, in to the Cherry Blossom (Singing Dr Hook's Sylvia's mother, to funnily enough Slyvia the woman that worked there, remember her folks? Lovely lady. Well before your time blowins)

The grub tasted great. I'm sure if I was sober the same would apply. Oh those Chicken balls,, could anyone finish them all?

However, at 9pm last night it was closed. Why? See pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dunno - why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

An hour or so after youve eaten it.

That'd be a first..

Redundant thread - closed, opened, wouldnt eat, would eat... and so we move on

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Redundant thread - closed, opened, wouldnt eat, would eat... and so we move on

+1.
    Sweet and sour rat anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Beans on toast and a fried egg then?
    Maybe not, I'm feeling a bit pukey.
    Leptospirosis and a No7 with chips then.
    Nooooooooooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Redundant thread
    Not at all. Its very interesting.

• Advertisement

Closed permanently... well done everyone... it's either Jade Royal or drive somewhere else now... no way I am giving my money to those robbers in the Royal Park

Advertisement