Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you refridgerate your sauces like Salad Cream or Ketchup?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, after spotting on the side my Salad Cream and Ketchup bottles it says you should refridgerate opening and consume within 6-8 weeks. Do people adher to this or is this just the companies wishing you threw away your sauces after a few weeks?

Do you refridgerate your sauces? 46 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    73% 34 votes
    No but i throw them out according the BBE label
    26% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I put salad cream and mayo in the fridge, but not ketchup as it is generally used up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Don't eat salad cream but I keep mayo and tomato sauce in the fridge as I prefer the both of them nice and cool like myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I refrigerate them after opening, but pretty much ignore any "use up within X weeks" advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Mayo, yes. Tomato sauce, no. (or brown sauce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Salad cream/mayo in the fridge, ketchup/brown sauce etc do not need to be fridged, it all depends on the ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Salad cream/mayo in the fridge, ketchup/brown sauce etc do not need to be fridged, it all depends on the ingredients.

Always better to keep stuff like that in the fridge, especially at this time of year.

If in any doubt, put it in the fridge. That's how I would see it. You're right that ketchup doesn't absolutely have to be refrigerated, but it will keep fresh for longer if you do.

And bear in mind that mayonaise has egg in it, so once opened it HAS TO BE kept in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 paddytheboy

I keep Mayo in the Fridge but not Ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I keep Mayo in the Fridge but not Ketchup.

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't eat mayo, no way would I put ketchup in the fridge. Waste of space

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it has eggs in it -mayo, salad cream -then it definitely goes in the fridge, seems many are the same. Otherwise usually in the press, though sometimes I like cold sauces to help cool down food.

It seems some people have never read the label on ketchup before, they always grew up with it in the press so never give it a second thought, then those same people will get new sauces, the likes of reggae reggae or BBQ type sauces and read the label and follow it to the T. I had people telling me off/warning me for not putting some sauce in the fridge, then when asked if they put ketchup in they did not and were shocked when I showed them the label, which they have been looking at for the last 20+ years:rolleyes:

Frenchs mustard says to keep it in the fridge too, I never do. The other thing is squeezy bottles, these help protect against airborne contaminants, if you had a wide mouth jar of ketchup or other sauces and left it open for any time on a counter it would get loads of contaminants which could grow, in a squeezy bottle there is far less risk. Also many sauces have high sugar/salt/vinegar content so are not as prone to bacteria.

-the poll needs more options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I put all my sauces (apart from tobasco) in the fridge. I usually have to throw them out when they reach the BBE however. I prefer cold ketchup and mayo with my food anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dinkie wrote: »
    I put all my sauces (apart from tobasco) in the fridge. I usually have to choose to throw them out when they reach the BBE however. I prefer cold ketchup and mayo with my food anyway.

FYP

If a sugar/vinegar/preservative laden sauce isn't mouldy or smelling off, why would you chuck it out at the BBE date?

Advertisement