Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken mtb chain

• 09-08-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

While out on the trails today my chain snapped. I had noticed a bit of a clicking noise now and again over the last few times i had it out but thought maybe one of the bearings were gone. Anyway, it snapped today nearly sending me over the bars and I had to walk out of the forest. Can I replace the link with one of those power links you can get on CRC and if so does it have to be brand specific ( got a 9 speed shimano chain) or are they one size fits all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You can replace it with a SRAM 9 speed link, no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Would be worth picking up a chain-tool while you're on CRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 graham77

Thanks for the replies. Just ordered both from CRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you chain has snapped it can be an indication that it is time to replace the chain, not just the link. Worth considering. New chains are not terribly expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

blorg wrote: »
    If you chain has snapped it can be an indication that it is time to replace the chain, not just the link.

Or the entire bike - no point in doing things by halves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

blorg wrote: »
    If you chain has snapped it can be an indication that it is time to replace the chain, not just the link. Worth considering. New chains are not terribly expensive.

Ya, chains don't generally snap by themselves, usually there is a cause so as blorg recommends I'd be looking into a new chain.

You should also check for any signs of wear or damage around your drive train...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

MTB chains snap because people often cross chain and change gear under extreme load ... it is abuse rather than wear that causes it to break. On the road things are probably different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

On the road chains snap too. Take your pick of some or all of: poor chain condition, chain badly fitted, cross-chaining, bad luck.

Edit: On the plus side, Millar saw the funny side of his reaction

Advertisement