Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh in Cavan

Options
  • 09-08-2010 11:39pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Starts Monday...shall be a mighty week of music, craic and massive amounts of drink...:D

So anybody going to it?? Definitely worth it I think even for a few days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

cavans like narnia, you have to go through a wardrobe to get to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Zombienosh wrote: »
    cavans like narnia, you have to go through a wardrobe to get to it.
    it's called Longford...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

I'm from Cavan. I don't live there anymore but go home to visit. Even the Fleadh won't make the place bearable :P Enter at your own risk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I can't go - I'm away. Absolutely gutted, know a good few people competing.
    (Best of luck to anyone who is btw).

Wish I was going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I don't go to Cavan unless absolutely necessary and vital.

Last time i was there i was scarred for life. Literally!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Shouldn't it be renamed "flahavan"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Whats a Fleadh?

It's the Fleadh Cheoil, a traditional music competition. The Cavan fleadh's the All-Ireland finals (the first round is the regionals, then the provincials), entrants are from Ireland/NI, Britain, the US and possibly a few from the continent.

Should be a good week

It has a Wikipedia page it seems...:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleadh_Cheoil

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I don't go to Cavan unless absolutely necessary and vital.

Last time i was there i was scarred for life. Literally!

Don't badmouth the place, without some detail of a story...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

A pointless festival for a small minority. More money wasted trying to promote a dead culture that has no relevance to modern Ireland, just like teaching "Irish" in schools.

The sooner Gaelic culture is wiped from Ireland altogether, the better. It´s such a waste of tax payers´ money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

A pointless festival for a small minority. More money wasted trying to promote a dead culture that has no relevance to modern Ireland, just like teaching "Irish" in schools.

The sooner Gaelic culture is wiped from Ireland altogether, the better. It´s such a waste of tax payers´ money. :rolleyes:

Aaam- maybe before you mouthed off about taxpayers money you should first check out the funding of a Fleadh......- empty vessels etc...

250,000 people are expected to attend. It's obviously not dead, at all.

Far from being a 'dead culture' Irish traditional music is thriving throughout the world; and the fleadh is a great boost to Cavan's economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Great to hear a bit of sense being spouted out by an intelegent, proud Irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tupac10

Well guys... im heading to the fleadh with friends 20th,21st and 23rd.. So im looking for advice.. Never been to Cavan.. so just wondering good places to go out? nice place to etc. the usually stuff!! any help would great.. cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Is the Fleadh poster outside the Post Office on the main street still advertising the Fleadh as been 21 days away? It was last Friday when I walked by it :D

Cant see where they are going to fit all the people who are due to attend. Luckilly I will be away for the week of it so will miss all the madness.

With all due respect why was this moved to the Cavan forum when it is a national event?

There is not enough activity in this forum, rarely do people outside Cavan come in here.

Typical. Move it back please.

The Farnham and the Imperial are the niteclubs, both will be open every night I would think. Both are grand and should be good craic, and full.

Loads of pubs in town, most of them are great. You will know by where the crowds go to. Avoid a few like Kittys, the rest are grand.

As for food you have:

Orchard/Side Door in Drumalee - Same building different places, Side Door only does food at evening I think, Orchard during the day

Imperial - Centre of town do good grub usually

Little Sicily - If you can try for directions in the evening, its across the road from Dunnes just into the archway and to the right, fantastic food. Lovely place, could be a bit pricey.

Meadaview - Dublin Rd, it's okay if your out there, not worth going out of your way to.

Farnham Arms - Does good food in centre of town, main st, worth going into the restaurant.

All I can think of now, am sure the rest will be covered by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Food:

Black Horse, main st. Great food.
    Kesh, Ballinagh Road. Decent Steaks.
    Casey's, Ballinagh. 10 mins from Cavan town but great food, well known for its steaks.
    Kylmore Hotel. Decent food during the day.

As for the nightclubs, both are crap imho. Imperial is expensive to get into and the music is not exactly night club like.......

McMahon's on the main street, do live bands and I'm sure its going to have music in it all week.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I would suspect that for the first time in a long time, it will be necessary to make bookings in a lot of restaurants while the Fleadh is in full swing. The town isn't overrun with places to eat these days (and there's no Subway:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Johnny T

Black Horse Inn for great day-time food. Not bad on a Saturday night. McMahons, McCauls, and Blessings not bad either. All have nice crowds.

Big Apple and Side Door restaurant in Drumalee are fairly good. Ko's do a great chinese on Main St.

Avoid any bars on upper Main St. like the plague. Venture beyond the Imperial if you've a death wish.
    Also avoid Thomas Ash Bar on Ash St. Dirty bar, dirty glasses, and very strange guy working behind the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I always liked the Bridge Restaurant beside the Bus Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Just a word on the music, since you're travelling for a Fleadh you might have an interest in the trad.
    McMahon's and Imperial are disco bar type affairs. More Beyonce than Bothy Band.

On the camp sites, I think there are three of them being set up, one at Terry Coyle gaelic grounds, one at Latt equestrian centre and one somewhere else I can't think of now. Terry Coyle is more or less in the town so would be best for anyone not fancying a journey home to their tent. Latt would probably be 3/4 of an hour's walk or more and the other one was even further away, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Yeah avoid the pubs at the top of the town, around the " mr wongs " area.

The farnham is "kiddiesville" But id say around fleadh time, it will have a mixed crowd..

should be a good buzz about the place! the town scrubs up well! :P

Tbf I think any visitors if they are up around the egg market should certainly try the "Top of the Town" Pub.

Just the neighbouring pubs giving that paticular region a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

there is absolutely nothing wrong with them pubs at the top of the town!!Kittys is the only pub id wear a flak jacket into tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

"there is absolutely nothing wrong with them pubs at the top of the town"
    ah a couple are dodgy though to be fair :)

the imperial is a great spot for a bit of grub during the day
    mcmahons is alright for paninis soup and pizzas.
    farnham carvery can be pretty hit and miss
    nightclubs arent much cop but for the week thats in it id say the farnhams standards would pick up think id venture there before the imperial though because if its a busy night you can guarantee it to be overcrowded.
    the vault (formerly mustangs) seems to be an alright pub
    mccauls, mcmahons, the glebe (formerly smith and wilsons) beside easons would probably be a good one too cant say for sure though.
    enjoy your time anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misslily

really cannot wait for the whole thing to kick off. was in town yesterday helping out and putting up posters and the festival has done the town the world of good. the place is looking absolutely brilliant so it is.

really hope everyone has a great time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

DB10 wrote: »
    With all due respect why was this moved to the Cavan forum when it is a national event?

There is not enough activity in this forum, rarely do people outside Cavan come in here.

Typical. Move it back please.

After hours is for everything that hasn't a place to go unlike this thread which has.

I'll be going to the fleadh.

Advertisement