Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh in Cavan

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nalorac

Eh is Kitty's the one near Easons? It's a sight to behold, I looked in the open door last week on my way past and saw a guy lacking in the hair and teeth department giving it socks to Poker face and this was 2pm on a random Wednesday.
    lmfao

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

DB10 wrote: »
    With all due respect why was this moved to the Cavan forum when it is a national event?

There is not enough activity in this forum, rarely do people outside Cavan come in here.

Typical. Move it back please.

nope

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Sarge wrote: »
    nope

Why?

Pathetic..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

I was in Cavan at the weekend there, the place is looking fantastic - In all my years of going to the Fleadh I've never seen a host town put in such a massive effort to make it the best it can be. Everything from the signage and logos (which are realy well designed) to the campsites and the mad but brilliant canopies covering big chunks of the streets seems really well thought out and professionally done.

I hope it's a huge success, I had my doubts about the Fleadh going to Cavan but the organizers seem to be doing a brilliant job and they deserve a lot of kudos even at this early stage. Now all we need is the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

DB10 wrote: »
    Why?

Pathetic..:rolleyes:

take seven days off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Sarge wrote: »
    take seven days off

A bit harsh Sarge???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Carpe Diem

Johnny T wrote: »
    Black Horse Inn for great day-time food. Not bad on a Saturday night. McMahons, McCauls, and Blessings not bad either. All have nice crowds.

Big Apple and Side Door restaurant in Drumalee are fairly good. Ko's do a great chinese on Main St.

Avoid any bars on upper Main St. like the plague. Venture beyond the Imperial if you've a death wish.
    Also avoid Thomas Ash Bar on Ash St. Dirty bar, dirty glasses, and very strange guy working behind the bar.

Agree with most comments apart from the one about the Thomas Ash Bar! This is one of the best pubs in Cavan town, Clean, tidy and well run, with good crowds, music etc. Will be one of the main meeting points for the Fleadh

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Carpe Diem

Also for the record its not Thomas Ash, its Thomas Ashe, one of the famed Irish republican volunteers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭celt262

muincav wrote: »
    A bit harsh Sarge???:confused:

Very harsh and petty.

Anyway things seem to be building up nicely, the town was packed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Johnny T

Carpe Diem wrote: »
    Agree with most comments apart from the one about the Thomas Ash Bar! This is one of the best pubs in Cavan town, Clean, tidy and well run, with good crowds, music etc. Will be one of the main meeting points for the Fleadh

Ya must be joking me, "one of the best pubs in Cavan town". Get outta here.
    I'm not a late drinker and wound generally have a couple of pints about 6 or 7 after work and frequented here a few times with mates from work. Would generally head into the Black Horse (best staff and steak sandwidth in town), but tried here a few times just for a change of scene. Maybe I only noticed cos it was empty, (and sober!) but the place was filty. Yer man running it has the conversational skills of a goldfish and looks through ya likes he's possessed. He sort of creeped us out so headed back to the oul reliable, Black Horse. Blessings great spot as well. Good crowd.

Maybe late at night it's a diferent story. Different folks, different strokes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Unfortunately I can't make it to the Fleadh this year.
    Heard the town is very well prepared for the event and they have even covered some of the streets with canopies.
    They should have held it on the last weekend in August like it used to be.
    Anyway it should be a great weekend though. Any Boardsies lucky enough to be able to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alanna4

Pretty sad to want any culture to die! The Fleadh will be great no matter where it's on. I'm going on saturday, can't feckin wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I've been to the fleadh a few times this week, passing through it as well. Last night in the Imperial a good few young lads and lassies played cracking trad music and the place swelled. They appeared to be paid by a continuous supply of pints :D.

There was lots on the streets today but I just missed the parade or pageant as it's called through the streets. It appears to be getting busier more and more the closer it gets to the weekend. Saturday should be a whopper!

There are canopies covering sections of main street, while they do not cover it completely they keep the crowd from disappearing into a pub completely when it buckets down.

There's class projections onto the façade of the Ulster Bank in the centre of Cavan town that's very well done. The artist has a live stream of it here: http://john-byrne.ie/castinglight/

Lastly I want a Cavan fleadh hoody tomorrow. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Thinking of heading tomorrow (from Louth) with the kids is there much music on the streets or entertainment,or is it all in the halls schools??
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

moonshadow wrote: »
    Thinking of heading tomorrow (from Louth) with the kids is there much music on the streets or entertainment,or is it all in the halls schools??
    cheers.

Most of the music is on the streets,was down there today and the town is buzzing,Walking down the streets and there's different musicians left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Most of the music is on the streets,was down there today and the town is buzzing,Walking down the streets and there's different musicians left right and centre.

Thats great and just what id hoped for cheers.

Was gonna start a new thread but seen this so gonna keep it alive,

The fleadh is over and is finished in Cavan, Wondering overall how everyone feels about the three years?, Was it a success?,Was it a nuisance? Whats your verdict?

Myself I really enjoyed it,Music was great and everybody seem to have a good time.

Over to you Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I wasn't there the first year, but I preferred last year to this year, to be honest. It's a shame that it seems to be far more of a piss-up than a music festival/competition. It was still very well organised though, fair play to everyone behind it.

Also, I must say to everyone on this board - genuinely - obviously, I've heard all the stereotypes of Cavan people, but the warm welcome I got from all of the locals was absolutely brilliant, and it's made me want to return to a county I wouldn't have been particularly interested in beforehand.

Will be interesting to see how Derry pans out. I know a lot of people who aren't going next year because of where it is.

brummytom wrote: »
    I wasn't there the first year, but I preferred last year to this year, to be honest. It's a shame that it seems to be far more of a piss-up than a music festival/competition. It was still very well organised though, fair play to everyone behind it.

Its the biggest drinking session in Ireland, but it is good craic.

Whispers going around the Derry dont want it now and that it will be back in Cavan next year. Now i heard that in the barbers so i would say its definately true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Any town/city council will give their right arm to host this thing.

Three years of money making hand over fist......

Tbh, the first year was the best year of it. They tried a few things that clearly don't stick with what I perceive trad as being eg the opening night yoke at the cathedral.

Some of the rules placed on pubs did not sit well with a few of the publicans but over all I'm sure they all cleaned up.

• Advertisement

Any town/city council will give their right arm to host this thing.

Some of the rules placed on pubs did not sit well with a few of the publicans but over all I'm sure they all cleaned up.

What rules were put on the pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

celt262 wrote: »
    Its the biggest drinking session in Ireland, but it is good craic.

Whispers going around the Derry dont want it now and that it will be back in Cavan next year. Now i heard that in the barbers so i would say its definately true :)

Those whispers are going on very deep in the workings of CCE too, I'm no longer involved but I heard surprisingly negative attitudes where I wouldn't have expected to hear them over the weekend.
    Most northerners I've spoken with over the years about the possibility of the fleadh going north have been negative about it, but the fear of attack among the serious brass of CCE down south is more than I expected.
    I would have thought that it would be so heavily policed that serious danger would be next to impossible, and for it to be attacked would suit no side bar the Republician dissidents. Would they?
    Specifically what I heard is that it will "be run off as competions, by day only, with most people leaving Derry by night, - locked in hotel sessions only as opposed to pub sessions." That "Derry CCE don't want it at all, but had it forced on them as part of the City of Culture thing by the city council"

I don't know if any of the above is true, but it is being said within the officership of CCE at provincial level down south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

brummytom wrote: »

Spot on there Brummytom - it was definitely the poorest of the three years and was very definitely around the town one giant piss-up and was getting very messy on the Saturday night - I couldn't wait to get out tbh. But all in all it was well organised and there was a big focus on more than the music and this was well done.

Also, I must say to everyone on this board - genuinely - obviously, I've heard all the stereotypes of Cavan people, but the warm welcome I got from all of the locals was absolutely brilliant, and it's made me want to return to a county I wouldn't have been particularly interested in beforehand.

Will be interesting to see how Derry pans out. I know a lot of people who aren't going next year because of where it is.

I can understand the nervousness about this being in Derry next year - I don't like sensationalism but it would be a powder keg waiting to go off if the level of drinking that I seen this year in Cavan was combined with the fact that some sections of the community just don't want it to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Well I thought it was Great !!
    But I have no interest in irish music, well organised but rough at night,I have no idea why some people had kids out that late at night tho. Cavan are on standby if Derry cannot happen. & can i just say, Cavan people are very generous and welcoming. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CavanCrew wrote: »
    Well I thought it was Great !!
    But I have no interest in irish music, well organised but rough at night,I have no idea why some people had kids out that late at night tho. Cavan are on standby if Derry cannot happen. & can i just say, Cavan people are very generous and welcoming. Fact.

Except if you're a "kid" of course, and you're out late at night :rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Well there was a delagation in town from the PSNI the last few days. They were checking out how the thing was policed. Cannot see how the policeing in Cavan would have any bearing on the Derry situation, where you have two sets of hotheads(albeit a tiny minority) living only a street away from each other. Three years in a row is enough, I feel. You got the feeling that the novelty had worn off for both the visitors and the locals. There was no benefit to business unless you were in the hospitality line of things. Pubs, food outlets and Lidl & Aldi had a few good days. Iver in Cavan

Lidl & Aldi had a few good days.

Did they tho, I know alot of people you refused to get caught up in the traffic and just done small shops in there locals and didn't want to go near cavan to shop. I was in dunnes a wednesday,Friday eve and Sunday afternoon and it was very quite considering the crowd on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You could get to them both far easier that Dunnes or Tescos. While Id say Dunnes and Tescos where busy it would be only small stuff and not weekly shops wtc.

Advertisement