Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H Fundraising for Pieta House.

Options
  • 09-08-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

(Mods, sorry if this is not okay for the forum, and do feel free to move it.)

Guys, I mentioned a while ago in the 'Have you ever been depressed?' thread that I was thinking of doing some fundraising for Pieta House (http://www.pieta.ie/) and quite a few people seemed to be interested in helping.

Basically, Pieta House is a counselling service (completely free, might I add) for those who are suicidal, self harming and for loved ones of people who have committed suicide or who are suffering. They receive barely any funding from the government and rely heavily on volunteers.

I thought that perhaps, because so many of us have been effected by these issues, that maybe as a group, we could do something to raise some money for the centre? It'd be a fun day, and for a good cause.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

FIRST!!
    this is completely stolen from Ark but: a sign saying hugs: €1 on Grafton street

the money will help pay for someone to listen to and everyone likes a hug

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I'd love to help but I'm from down south and I rarely go to Dub (unless I end up in college there in Sept). Maybe if anyone from down this side of the country wants to fundraise something could be organised here too? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Well.. considering the bakery skillz of this forum (Kate especially), I say BAKE SALE/massive picnic-type thing.

I shall make brownies/blondies/cookies/muffins/whatever is required of me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'd love to help but I'm from down south and I rarely go to Dub (unless I end up in college there in Sept). Maybe if anyone from down this side of the country wants to fundraise something could be organised here too? :)

If we could get groups of people from different parts of the country to get together, we could do something simultaneously, but in different places?! If that makes sense! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Novella wrote: »
    If we could get groups of people from different parts of the country to get together, we could do something simultaneously, but in different places?! If that makes sense! :)
    Ya that would be brilliant !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'll be in Dublin from September onwards, so I'll be happy to help out any way I can.

Baking skills I have not. I'll dance or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Novella wrote: »
    (Mods, sorry if this is not okay for the forum, and do feel free to move it.)

SPAM! :eek: *deletes thread and permabans Novella*

Nah, it's fine, don't worry. It's for a great cause! Just perhaps clear it with someone from the organisation first? Make sure they're ok with having a forum full of lovely internet people helping them out. :)

And I could possibly help out in either Dublin or Cork (Cork mainly but can venture up to Dublin if something happens on a weekend) I can't really bake....but I could try!

Don't worry, I actually did mention that I was hoping to get an internet forum of people to help me! I think they thought I was joking... But I did say it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'd help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I'll help if anyone else from around my parts wants to aswell!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

FIRST!!
    this is completely stolen from Ark but: a sign saying hugs: €1 on Grafton street

the money will help pay for someone to listen to and everyone likes a hug

Bags giving "deluxe hugs" for €2... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I'll defintely help, I'll be in Dublin from September and if we're doing something in our own parts myself and almostnever (I'm sure she wouldn't mind) could do something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

The hugs for charity idea is brilliant, I think! Maybe it could be combined with a bake sale? So, you pay a certain amount of money for a cupcake, and for each additional Euro donated you receive a heart-warming, rib-shatteringly affectionate hug!

I'd love to help out, anyway, I should be available for anything organised in Cork. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

I want to help!

The hugs thing is brilliant! And I can't bake, but I can give a nice hug :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Bags giving "deluxe hugs" for €2... :p
    "Deluxe hugs" from A Neurotic in a public place?!

Sounds like something which would require a special Garda permit at the very least ... >_>

Seriously, always great to see people doing something to help out.

Just to bear in mind though ...

... there's usually a bit of paperwork involved in getting official approval / recognition / letters of accreditation from a charity these days. Nothing major, but it can take a bit of time. Might sound a bit strange at first, but if you think of it, no reputable charity wants scammers out collecting in their name, so they're going to want to make sure who they're dealing with.

... if you're collecting in any way in a public place you need a Garda permit. Again, it's more a bit of time and paperwork than anything too major. If you want to do something on a college campus or something like that, it's a bit different of course, you'd just need to check whether there are any local / college regs / procedures.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think a friend (and fellow-mod :pac: ) was involved in a charity "Dusk to Dawn" run for Pieta House recently. I'll ask him about it tomorrow to see if he can recommend anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'll defintely help, I'll be in Dublin from September and if we're doing something in our own parts myself and almostnever (I'm sure she wouldn't mind) could do something here.

Course I don't mind! :pac: I've been trying to think of ideas for a while now, but you know how much I fail at thinking of realistic ones. :p

I'll try to think of some interesting ideas, bake sale sounds really good and we have many talented people here so if we can harness that in some way I'd say C&H are onto a winner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm in. Just let me know whatever way I can help.

I'm in. I can do something here or in Dublin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I shall bake anything ever. YAY!

A Neurotic can make pancakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Yes, just tell me what needs to be done. I can hug/bake. I'm trying to think of ideas..hmm..well I can't sing, but I can give it socks with a group if there's busking involved. (People would probably pay for me to stop singing, in fact.)

We used to do "soccerathons" in school. It was a load of 5-a-side teams playing for an afternoon in a league type thing. It was great craic and I don't even like football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

another random idea: Get a couch[inflatable or otherwise] and ask for donations to let people sit down,on like grafton street or something.The city centre needs more seating anyway and every little help.

I tend to "vomit ideas" according to some people :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Just thinking, if we were to do a bake sale, what would be the best way to go about it?
    Like would it be a city centre thing, or say few people from each of the colleges do one in their own college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

As far as I know, they give tshirts to people that do fundraisy stuff, so it looks more.. official. I shall ask in the morrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

If it would be a college thing, it might be worth doing in association with societies? I'm on a committee in a TCD soc that has done similar things in the past, it can be quite hard to organise things in college without using already established groups.

Either way, I'd like to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This is such an excellent idea, I'll help fundraise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

KnifeWrench if anything does go on in Cork for this give me a shout and ill be glad to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I think this is great idea, especially the bake-sale idea. I'd love to help but I'm leaving Ireland in Sept soo...

You should make it a bring-and-buy sale too. As in not just baked stuff, people donate clothes and general knick-knacks for sale too.

I was thinking of some kind of, I dunno, giant picnic or something... Picnic for Pieta :confused: I don't know, ideas aren't my strong point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I would gladly support this. Gave a few quid to a similar organisation just a few days ago.

Advertisement