Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishing games for a GPU

Options
  • 09-08-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭

Already Tried Crysis and while I havent Frapsed it I had the MSAA and AF to full and I'd say I got between 20 and 40 frames at different times.

Downloading Demos for Arma II and Arkham Asylum. Played a bunch of Global Agenda already, it had crushed my old laptop that was *supposedly* designed to play DX10 games my arse.

Just running out of ideas that wont cost me money. Or, what are some Really Awesome Games I could possibly buy? I hate buying games. Especially at $40-$60. Stupid money for a game. Grr.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Arma 2 or Arkham Asylum wont test a gpu, Arma is heavy on the cpu only and Arkham is just another Unreal3 engine game

Try Shattered Horizons (I think You already have it) or Metro 2033 (worth the buy if its reduced in price), very little released today taxes the gpu to the max. Crysis is 3 years old in November and is still the benchmark, damn consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Metro 2033 is one hell of a punishing game( especially if youve an ATI gfx card )

Lost Planet is pretty heavy on the GPU( suprisingly as most Capcom games run maxed in the 100+FPS )

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive run the Lost Planet Demo and yeah I was surprised at it. Quite horrendous.

CPU heavy games wont mean **** if I have a 2.8ghz Hexacore, to be fair.

But I guess the good news is I can now play about any game that I want. What a strange feeling.

Overheal wrote: »
    Ive run the Lost Planet Demo and yeah I was surprised at it. Quite horrendous.

CPU heavy games wont mean **** if I have a 2.8ghz Hexacore, to be fair.

But I guess the good news is I can now play about any game that I want. What a strange feeling.
    lol, well much as i think the hexacore is a fantastic bit of kit, for gaming its still outperformed by i7( especially with the OC's you can get with i7's ) and mainly because whatever games do use more than 2 cores only use 3 or 4( the new total war is supposed to use 6 though :) ), but nice setup man, wouldnt mind a hexacore( as i like to video encode also )

My 5850 is dying at 3840x1024 resolution, need moar powah!!! lol

You might try the Just Cause 2 demo too, its not that gpu heavy, but its heavy enough and looks quite cool( although the demo is disappointing compared to the full game )

Also if you have GTA IV( non steam version ) try it with the ENBseries mod, looks fantastic but man that will destroy FPS, quote from GURU3d
    Here's ENB series with the settings I'm using, just make sure your GTA IV is modabble and you know what you're doing.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hltthn

Also it doesn't work correctly with the latest patches, well it'll work but you'll be missing a lot of effects. I think up to patch 1.0.0.4 is fine.
    Screenshots here( halfway down the page and where i nicked the quote from ) - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=324910&page=24

The Arma 2 operation arrowhead demo will give Your hexacore lots of love, its the only game uses upto 80% of my 4 cores, spreads the load evenly as it has the latest multicore and large address space optimisations. Give it a try.

Capture-8.jpg

Don't bother trying the Arma2 demo, this was a pre-release version of the game in Jun 09

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GTAIV's awful console ported cutscenes, max's out my GTX295 and I've seen temps hit 98 degrees on it while the cutscenes went on :eek:

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The Arma 2 operation arrowhead demo will give Your hexacore lots of love, its the only game uses upto 80% of my 4 cores, spreads the load evenly as it has the latest multicore and large address space optimisations. Give it a try.

Capture-8.jpg

Don't bother trying the Arma2 demo, this was a pre-release version of the game in Jun 09
    See I made that mistake and got the original demo. Broken tutorial missions and baaaaaad voice work. Liked Microsoft Sam telling me there was Enemy Man Close Twenty Metres though. Downloading A2OAd now

but you were right it munched all 6 cores. good optimization.

edit: another of yesteryear's benchmarks - Steam has the World in Conflict Demo. Gettin that.

but you were right it munched all 6 cores. good optimization.

Not in Arma2 demo, its over a yr old, these proper optimisations only arrived in A2 this Jun, just before the release of A2OA.

There's a world of difference between A2 and OA though, just don't be expecting good voice acting and don't read too much into the single player, multiplayer coop with custom missions is where this game shines. Turn post processing on low, it'll prob cause You nausea any higher, put everything else on very high, with antialiasing on low/med (any higher can be vaseline like)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'd suggest S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat. :)

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not in Arma2 demo, its over a yr old, these proper optimisations only arrived in A2 this Jun, just before the release of A2OA.
    then they may have patched it backwards or the X6 is doing some wonderful things in single-threading.

• Advertisement

then they may have patched it backwards or the X6 is doing some wonderful things in single-threading.

Nope, A2 demo is an unpatched pre-release version, the x6 is just a beast :D

****ing terrible trying to get into a multiplayer game on the demo. Shows promise though, how would i check my ping to your arma II server? :D

Try the Mafia 2 demo, thats heavy if you enable physx, tried it completely maxed at 3840x1024, physx high and i got average 37FPS, min 7 and max 111 lol, looks great though. Its up on steam if youre interested

****ing terrible trying to get into a multiplayer game on the demo. Shows promise though, how would i check my ping to your arma II server? :D

It responds to pings now, by default server 2008 is set to ignore pings.
    "ping 217.78.4.73"
    I'm curious as to how high it will be, we've played before with USA players, usually 110ms but v playable

We're not playing Arma these days though, and we don't run a demo server. We've been revisiting some old games these days, will be playing thursday eve though. If You buy the game be sure get the combined ops:
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-honza.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=2&manufacturer_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4639/

average 222ms from work. But they are on a different ISP and not on as ludicrous a package as I have at home....

Oh wait I have logmein. hang on a second.

yea I get 120-150ms from home and that is remotely logged I dunno what that does to my ping but yeah thats much more promising than I would have figured.

No big problemo if you dont play Arma I just think its cool that I can now consider participating in Boards LAN-type events :)

how nice is it to start your defrags when your AFK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Already Tried Crysis and while I havent Frapsed it I had the MSAA and AF to full and I'd say I got between 20 and 40 frames at different times.
    What resolution were you running at as a matter of interest?

In terms of other games to test your GPU, there's Metro 2033, STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Aliens Vs. Predator (DX11 only though, the tessellation on the Aliens can result in quite a pref hit) and Mafia II. Once you enable APEX/PhysX and crank everything on the latter you should see things working hard.

yea I get 120-150ms from home and that is remotely logged I dunno what that does to my ping but yeah thats much more promising than I would have figured.

No big problemo if you dont play Arma I just think its cool that I can now consider participating in Boards LAN-type events :)

how nice is it to start your defrags when your AFK
    if youre remotely logged in to your home pc and open a cmd prompt and ping from there then that is the ping you will get if youre sitting at your home pc

120-150ms is terrible for online gaming though

Im no stranger to gaming on those higher pings. Its not as bad as 300 and 500...

You just wont be sniping. And again when I was playing on 20fps youd never noticed the lag :pac:

Crysis I was running at 1980x1020 or whatever the 16:9 res was. Very smooth indoors, kinda film-y outdoors and during hi-fidelity effects like massive explosions so you were probably getting 30 frames but thats Cinema framerate; it looked very nice. Its funny because Blu-Ray running at 60 frames or higher looks like absolute crap. I will actually have it frapsed later.

120ms can be playable in arma, its very slow moving at times with lots more than just gunning, pingtimes make no difference when You're in a tank or with a weapon like a javelin that locks on :D. We played in a competition with few Yanks, they got on ok and got lots of kills. We'll be back playing arma soon, well tomorrow evening anyway, we're just taking a needed break and waiting for the community to make some new missions

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd already be playing SC with people but they pulled the US/EU divide out of their ass. ****ing A/B.

Might get AO though, how many you normally get? 64? Heee.

Yeah I'd already be playing SC with people but they pulled the US/EU divide out of their ass. ****ing A/B.

Might get AO though, how many you normally get? 64? Heee.

Don't get OA, get combined ops (A2 & OA) as thats what most servers run.

We usually play small custom coops, anything from 4-15 of us from here, other times we run domination which gets lots of randomers but gets repeditive after a bit. Tomorrow we're playing this, which will get randomers.

$50gsdiunEWQgo8uhS:OD*vyp97IU BS><Jvb .kewryt8390w2y ['dsin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are you mashing the keyboard with your head again? :confused:

thats my head exploding with the thought of paying $50 for a game

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

So I was right?

:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We never doubted you, baby. You're always right xx*

*Platonic love, I swear

Advertisement