Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to decide which to choose??

• 10-08-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

Well folks.. ive a choice to make and i need a bit of feedback from anyone here that can help me..

Im after accepting the 2 year higher cert in Business with the intention of then going on to the 3rd and 4th year of Marketing, but ive been offered the honors degree in marketing in round 0..

My worry is that as a mature student the workload might be a bit too much with the honors degree and the 2 year cert might help me get back into the swing of college life.. i dont know what to do now because my intention all along was to the 3rd and 4th year of honors degree..

Anybody got any advice because its wrecking my head trying to make up my mind.... Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

It depends upon you and the amount of work that you are prepared to do. I did an honours degree in business part-time and achieved a first but I put in the effort so from my perspective if you are studying fulltime then there should be no excuse.

Another thing I found was that as a mature student and havinh worked in various industries, my experience made it much easier for me to relate to certain aspects on the course and also apply real issues to the theory that you will encounter.

You also have to look at things from a commercial perspective. An honours degree will open more doors and it also paves the way fro you to do a masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hi krusty I'm actually going into 4 th year management! I completed the 2 year cert and found the course very interesting. It covers a wide variety of aspects of business and will give you a better idea of what you might want to do. Marketing may appeal to you now however when you dabble in other areas you might find them more interesting

Also with the cert if your fed up with college after the two years it least it hasn't been a waste of time and you have a cert. There was 60 people in my course and about 8 of them were mature students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

duffman13 wrote: »

Also with the cert if your fed up with college after the two years it least it hasn't been a waste of time and you have a cert.

I was about to say that.
    For that reason alone I'd do the cert first. I did a 4 year degree but never fully completed the 4th year and now I'm left with nothing. I really wish I had of done a cert and diploma first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

duffman13 wrote: »
    Hi krusty I'm actually going into 4 th year management! I completed the 2 year cert and found the course very interesting. It covers a wide variety of aspects of business and will give you a better idea of what you might want to do. Marketing may appeal to you now however when you dabble in other areas you might find them more interesting

Also with the cert if your fed up with college after the two years it least it hasn't been a waste of time and you have a cert. There was 60 people in my course and about 8 of them were mature students.
    ShayK1 wrote: »
    I was about to say that.
    For that reason alone I'd do the cert first. I did a 4 year degree but never fully completed the 4th year and now I'm left with nothing. I really wish I had of done a cert and diploma first.

Thanks lads.. thats a massive help.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I was about to say that.

As long as you completed 3rd year you can apply for an exit award and graduate with a level 7 ordinary degree :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I decided to take the 4 years Honors Degree in Marketing..:)

Ms Happy wrote: »
    As long as you completed 3rd year you can apply for an exit award and graduate with a level 7 ordinary degree :)

are you sure about that?
    I did ask about being awarded a diploma for my 3 completed years but was told it wasn't possible. If you are sure about that, how to I go about applying for it?

Congratulations and best of luck.
    The only advice I'll give you if to go to class. No matter how easy or difficult you find the subject, go to class.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Wise choice.

PM me for a very useful tip :)

Advertisement