Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to decide which to choose??

Options
  • 10-08-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

Well folks.. ive a choice to make and i need a bit of feedback from anyone here that can help me..

Im after accepting the 2 year higher cert in Business with the intention of then going on to the 3rd and 4th year of Marketing, but ive been offered the honors degree in marketing in round 0..

My worry is that as a mature student the workload might be a bit too much with the honors degree and the 2 year cert might help me get back into the swing of college life.. i dont know what to do now because my intention all along was to the 3rd and 4th year of the honors degree..

Anybody got any advice because its wrecking my head trying to make up my mind.... Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GillieBean

does that mean you get your degree in 3 yrs rather than 4 if you opt for the hons degree now rather than after the 2yr cert? Remember also the higher the qualification the more weight it holds. If you get a degree done in 3 rather than 4 years you are back on the market (so to speak!) quicker, and from an employer point of view it may be a positive that you took the plunge with the degree and managed to juggle successfully (if you are going to be working & studying). I'm going back to uni in Sept not having opened an education book in 12 years, so I get where you are coming from. But as much as I am freaking out about going back I'm going to give it my best shot. What keeps me going is that I have maturity over some of my fellow students which will defo stand to me.
    Well done on your offer by the way!! I'd go with the degree if it fits in with your work/life balance,
    Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It is daunting going back to education after so long but as GillieBean has said you have the maturity now to apply yourself to the course and get stuck into it. It is down to yourself though.

I had the choice of doing a 4 year degree here in Dublin or a 3 year degree up in the North. I chose the 4 year degree as I personally, didn't think I would be able to handle a 3 year degree. Finance also was a part in my decision too. I am glad I chose the 4 year course as its intense enough!

Having said that, most of colleges have great support for mature students and offer workshops in study skills, time management, writing essays, using the library etc. so the help will be there for you. Don't ever be afraid to ask for help from your fellow students, tutors etc.

Best of luck either way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I decided to take the 4 years Honors Degree in Marketing.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I decided to take the 4 years Honors Degree in Marketing.. :)

Good choice - congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hotais

Hi guys...
    So I had my annual review yesterday and my boss has very nicely offered to pay for a post grad course in anything business related.
    I am a Science graduate but got into the business side of things after graduation and have been very succesful in this since.
    Really, I'm just wondering If you could best advise a course lasting a max of 2 years and 10K which I could do to further my "business" knowledge...
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement