Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning guitar?

• 10-08-2010 2:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Okay...basically i'm getting old :pac: been wanting to start learning how to play an instrument for a while now...too long.....
    and so i'm actually gonna do it.

I had been thinking about learning guitar.....but then the idea of bass popped up....which is apparntly "Easier" (yeah i know it's not really easier...but hopefully you know what i mean)

If anyone has experience of both....and could offer their input on which would possibly be better it'd be greatly appreciated :o And if it would be harder trying to learn the other after learning say, some bass.

Also, would it be better to get a cheap beginner guitar first? (as opposed to getting something more expensive...i was slightly tempted by the billie joe signature gibson tbh :pac: and yes i cant play....:L)

I'd be mostly into stuff like my chemical romance, fall out boy, green day, etc..not that it probaly matters.

Thanks for your help/advice in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I can only speak on the bass. I have seen it said many times about the bass being easy to play. Like any instrument it can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Generally, when people say bass is easy, it is usually the music that is easy, as in not complex or challenging. Try playing bass along to the likes of "Steely Dan" and see if that's easy. ;)

Whether an instrument is easy or not ( and none are) to learn should not be a criteria for picking it up. My advice would be to go with the instrument that attracts you the most. While the bass is a different animal altogether, any music theory etc can be carried over to the guitar.

As for what guitar/bass you buy, that's your call. If you are sure you are going to stay the distance, then buy whatever you can afford. My first bass was a beginner's start up kit. When I was sure that bass was for me, and I was going to stick with it, then I upgraded.

Whichever one you go for, I'd advise a few lessons from a good teacher to get you off to a good start. With the bass in particular, it is important, both physically and from a playing aspect to have good technique. A teacher is best for this IMO.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Okay...basically i'm getting old :pac: been wanting to start learning how to play an instrument for a while now...too long.....
    and so i'm actually gonna do it.

I had been thinking about learning guitar.....but then the idea of bass popped up....which is apparntly "Easier" (yeah i know it's not really easier...but hopefully you know what i mean)

If anyone has experience of both....and could offer their input on which would possibly be better it'd be greatly appreciated :o And if it would be harder trying to learn the other after learning say, some bass.

Also, would it be better to get a cheap beginner guitar first? (as opposed to getting something more expensive...i was slightly tempted by the billie joe signature gibson tbh :pac: and yes i cant play....:L)

I'd be mostly into stuff like my chemical romance, fall out boy, green day, etc..not that it probaly matters.

Thanks for your help/advice in advance :)
    I play both and would recommend you learn the guitar first, and if you were to learn from where i went wrong, i would get plenty of lessons to start off, so as to start off without bad habits!! After that you will be well equipped to play bass, however bass is not "easier". Bass is as hard as you want it to be. There are plenty of good cheap guitars available now, i'd get one of them before you buy a signiture guitar! An acoustic is a great way to start, as it toughens up your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

The thing about bass that gives it the "easier" reputation is that the majority of songs have simple bass lines.
    As mentioned above it can be as hard as you want.
    Really which to learn depends on what you want out of it. If you want it for parties etc guitar can be better for sing song type stuff(though I have seen some cool/difficult funk bass stuff going down very well in crowds).
    If you want to join a band with it bass might be better as good bassists are much harder to find than guitarists
    EDIT: I also find that guitar gets into songs that are good to listen to and more fun to play faster

Advertisement