Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hauled to court...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

seamus wrote: »
    There's a pattern there. Most people have never been to court for anything.

Just something to think about.

Hey, don't you start with your never-even-been-to-court-based-prejudice.

I've been to court, for an actual proper offence. The Garda witness didn't turn up, case dismissed. Yay for me!

My sympathies are turning on this one. After considering his most recent submission, I'm firmly sided with the lightless, argumentative liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rochie16

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think he meant his week was tougher, not he is tougher than you.

I did, although.............. I am hard like. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    Hey, don't you start with your never-even-been-to-court-based-prejudice.

I've been to court, for an actual proper offence. The Garda witness didn't turn up, case dismissed. Yay for me!

My sympathies are turning on this one. After considering his most recent submission, I'm firmly sided with the lightless, argumentative liar.

I am open to correction, but liar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

rochie16 wrote: »
    Trust me mate, tougher than you.

Race! Race! Race! Race! :D

So I’ll go to court...and tell a slight porky or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

rochie16 wrote:
    correction
    rochie16 wrote:
    tell a slight porky or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Comprehension? What part of this am I misunderstanding:
    I’d pay €60 not to get out of bed and cycle 14km (2x7k people) at 10.30 on a Saturday morning after a tough week.

14km is really not that much, certainly not worth 60 euro. Smacks of laziness to me.

Get out of bed, cycle, get home, then get back under the covers. What's so hard?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod note: Folks can we steer clear from personal abuse. It's been a lively discussion but let's not get carried away.

I said "slight porkies". Bending the truth to make me look better may have been more apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

el tonto wrote: »
    Mod note: Folks can we steer clear from personal abuse. It's been a lively discussion but let's not get carried away.

Queensbury Rules only folks, only going to say it once.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm out, its been fun reading but I'm unsure if the OP just doesn't have a clue when it comes to stuff like this or is he just trolling, after all he'd prefer a 60e on the spot fine rather then simply going to a Garda station with his bike, wtf?
    Seriously?

Anyway, OP if your reading this please post up the outcome of your court appearance I'm hoping it'll be enjoyable reading. If you could let us know when it is I'm sure somebody could act as a reporter if you wanted :)

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Queensbury Rules only folks, only going to say it once.

Mocking a mod using bold type: that's a paddlin'.

Comprehension? What part of this am I misunderstanding:

14km is really not that much, certainly not worth 60 euro. Smacks of laziness to me.

Get out of bed, cycle, get home, then get back under the covers. What's so hard?

12-14 hour days for the previous 6 days. I hope I don't sound like I'm looking for sympathy. I'm not. Just saying the lie-in would have been worth the €60 euro to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

First of all, I had no other option but to cycle. I wasn't planning on staying untill it got dark. A couple of hours of work went down the drain and I had to redo it, hence I left at 9 instead of 6.

Also, you should improve your reading comprehension skills. The time of the match coincided with the time of the producing. Nothing to do with not being able. Hilarious last line by the way.

Sounds like you're getting a bit touchy near the end there. If almost everyone thinks you're in the wrong sometimes the correct response is a bit of self examination instead of defensiveness.

Since you obviously sought some support for your situation by posting on here I hope you have the wit to consider the feedback you did get and not simpy discount it because it doesn't agree with your opinion of yourself and the situation.

You were in the wrong. Your excuses don't make any difference, and to be honest are pathetically weak (and a bit inconsistent). You were offered the opportunity to avoid the proper penalty and you decided you couldn't be bothered. Now you appear to be crying because the whole thing simply didn't go away.

I am 100% behind the guard. I'd love to see much more of this. I'd like to see every cyclist using lights after dark, if some of them only do it because they are scared they will be inconvenienced by having to get out of bed on a Saturday morning to go to a garda station then so be it.

Mocking a mod using bold type: that's a paddlin'.

Aside: Over on Biker.ie they have a Buswalds prison where Mods put errant posters for a spell when they've been bold. Might work here, no on me though :o

Sorry back on topic, ahem...

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Since you obviously sought some support for your situation by posting on here I hope you have the wit to consider the feedback you did get and not simpy discount it

Did you not read my last long post?

12-14 hour days for the previous 6 days. I hope I don't sound like I'm looking for sympathy. I'm not. Just saying the lie-in would have been worth the €60 euro to me.

Advice: Don't have children ;)

First of all, I had no other option but to cycle. I wasn't planning on staying untill it got dark. A couple of hours of work went down the drain and I had to redo it, hence I left at 9 instead of 6.

Dropbox.

In fact, backing up your work (if that's what you mean by down the drain) is something that every college student should know how to do or they shouldn't be awarded a degree.

The number of stories of people losing work because it was stored on a single drive or USB stick is incredible.

I'm not sure how a long week of college puts you beyond a 14km commute, especially when you appear to be reasonably active. You seem to be really just making excuses to suit your position. What was to stop you buying a set of lights at the local bike shop? Really, you had no excuse so stop reaching for them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Aside: Over on Biker.ie they have a Buswalds prison where Mods put errant posters for a spell when they've been bold. Might work here, no on me though :o

Sorry back on topic, ahem...

That can be arranged. ;)

Dropbox.

In fact, backing up your work (if that's what you mean by down the drain) is something that every college student should know how to do or they shouldn't be awarded a degree.

The number of stories of people losing work because it was stored on a single drive or USB stick is incredible.

I'm not sure how a long week of college puts you beyond a 14km commute, especially when you appear to be reasonably active. You seem to be really just making excuses to suit your position. What was to stop you buying a set of lights at the local bike shop? Really, you had no excuse so stop reaching for them.

I don't remember saying I was a college student????

Anyways, to address your ridiculous aside, I had done it incorrectly, nothing about USB's and the like.

I don't use a bank account, therefore I had no access to money. I would have got the bus but I didn't even have myself €2. I'm not making excuses, merely cutting through your points.

• Advertisement

I told him that I had no intention of cycling down the 7km to Rathgar on a saturday morning, having commuted 100km to college Monday through Friday.

Believe me you are cutting only through your own points. Ok, so it wasn't a backup issue, you just spent 3 hours doing something incorrectly.

Furthermore, you don't have a bank account or carry around loose change, yet you find it easy to give up 60 euro for a few hours sleep? Is this mattress filled with all the money you don't save away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Court date? Court No. even a hint? Please?

DirkVoodoo, I'm just.... I'm.... I'm done with you. Refer to my first response to you for possible reasons.

13th of September at 10.30, bring all your friends. All are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 colmbie

What Court No? Which court ?!?

DirkVoodoo, I'm just.... I'm.... I'm done with you. Refer to my first response to you for possible reasons.

Repeatedly calling me an idiot, is that the best you can do? Actually, it seems from your first post this is how you deal with most people who challenge you. It's a pretty lame way to argue really, and backs up the whole "childish" attitude other people have pointed out.

Poor you, long week, can't get out of bed, 60 euro be damned, I sleep on a big pile of money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I don't remember saying I was a college student????

Well you said in your opening post that you'd spent the week travelling to and from college and you also said you had just finished college here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055994789 so it's not exactly a massive jump to make to assume you are/were at the time of the incident a student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Furthermore, you don't have a bank account or carry around loose change, yet you find it easy to give up 60 euro for a few hours sleep?
    Interesting. @OP- are you by any chance (a) Bertie Ahern or (b) The Queen of England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

colmbie wrote: »
    What Court No? Which court ?!?
    Classic, we even have lurkers specifically registering for this information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Repeatedly calling me an idiot, is that the best you can do? Actually, it seems from your first post this is how you deal with most people who challenge you. It's a pretty lame way to argue really, and backs up the whole "childish" attitude other people have pointed out.

Poor you, long week, can't get out of bed, 60 euro be damned, I sleep on a big pile of money!

Now in fairness, it was 10:30 in the morning :eek: Spongebob squarepants repeats normally don't start until 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 colmbie

blorg wrote: »
    Classic, we even have lurkers specifically registering for this information.

LOL! This is one of the most entertaining threads i've ever read...I just can't wait to find out how it goes :)

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Now in fairness, it was 10:30 in the morning :eek: Spongebob squarepants repeats normally don't start until 12.

He must be a super model on the side, what was that quote again:

"I won't get out of bed for less than $10,000 60 euro"

Anyone from RTE/TV3 reading this thread?

An Irish version of "Judge Judy"...what ya think?

I can imagine this case...would make good TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Thor wrote: »
    He doesn't have any right to tell you that, It will and always will be a garda station of your choosing(I.E the closest one to your home is normally the one or perhaps one close to were you work).

yet he didnt even do so

if it was me, I would have went to my local station and asked them to call the guards station and let him know im here with my lights

the OP didnt event bother his arse

He must be a super model on the side, what was that quote again:

"I won't get out of bed for less than $10,000 60 euro"

€60 or a bag of "blood Diamonds" maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Will they use this thread in Court as evidence ??!! :p
    "Young Rochie, I refer to your comments on page 11 post 123...." :D

Hang on wasn't your football game at the same time? So this was nothing to do with a lye on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

Roche, give us a date and a day out...I've my hat at the ready!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Couldn't resist coming back to this.......

.....Rochie when you try to make your case the judge will pretty much hop off you, you should watch the following instructional video to see the proper procedure for when that happens..........

.......you should also work on that New York accident to get maximum impact.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The cheapest set of lights in CRC is €11.12, why didn't you just buy a set and save yourself the agro?
    euro sell the too

not a recommendation , just saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Deserve to be locked up for not being able to talk your way out of it. What a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Rochie,

In all seriousness, I hope it goes well for you and that you get off reasonably lightly. You haven't committed mass murder and (despite what other posters seem to think) it seems to me that your attitude has softened somewhat. It's become a bit of a pile-on and I'm not really enjoying it so much now. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Jawgap wrote: »
    Couldn't resist coming back to this.......

.....Rochie when you try to make your case the judge will pretty much hop off you, you should watch the following instructional video to see the proper procedure for when that happens..........

.......you should also work on that New York accident to get maximum impact.

lol double whammy in that video, enda kenny in cameo as juror, and al pacino in rare, 'shouty man' role....

lol double whammy in that video, enda kenny in cameo as juror, and al pacino in rare, 'shouty man' role....

He is an acting legend, as shown by his master class:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Back in March on a friday evening at 9.15 I was stopped on my bike by some rookie Garda who deemed it necessary to pull me up on my lack of lighting. I was wearing a hi-vis vest but had - a couple of days previous - removed my front light and forgot to return it. I had no back light. Whilst I understand this is not the safest way to travel, I argued it was only myself at risk. He, in is infinite wisdom, decided to have me produce my bike to a specific garda station (rathgar) the following saturday with a full set of lights. I told him that I had no intention of cycling down the 7km to Rathgar on a saturday morning, having commuted 100km to college Monday through Friday. Furthermore, I had prior commitments in the form of a football game I had to participate in. Anyways, today I received a court summons regarding this matter, and must attend court in mid September. Discarding the ridiculousness of the situation, has something similar ever happened to anyone here? What is likely to happen in court? Will the judge, like me and so many others, recognise that the matter is laughable, and strike it out of court. Or am I likely to receive some sort of fine?

Edit: A specific time on the Saturday (between 11 and 12)

What is laughable about this? The lighting requirements for bicycles after lighting-up time are set out in statute and are easily accessable on citizensinformation.ie and elsewhere. In general, you should have a white light to the front and a red light to the rear.

To answer if anything similar has happened to me; I was cycling around the village at around 4am one night and a Garda on his routine drive around the estates stopped to ask me if I was alright. I guess cycling in the middle of the night could be suggestive of a problem, but I was just aiming for a pretty long cycle so I started early. I told him I was fine and he basically said "Grand, well, you're well lit up anyway. Take care."

A lack of lights is not just a danger to yourself, but to others using the road aswell. That is why you are not left to take the risk.

Edit: By the way; you said you had no money so the only way home was to cycle. If that was the case, the the only legal thing to do after lighting-up time, without a lit-up bike, is to walk it home, keeping well in on the road or footpath. Just for future reference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Grant Holt asked for his court case to be changed because of a football match but was refused.
    5 August 2010 Last updated at 11:55 GMT Share this pageFacebookTwitter ShareEmail Print Norwich City's Grant Holt due in court on match day
    Mr Holt requested earlier this week that the trial be postponed Norwich City striker Grant Holt could miss the opening fixture of the new season because he is due in court on a motoring offence.

The 29-year-old denies failing to give West Mercia Police the identity of a vehicle's driver in May 2009.

Magistrates refused to postpone his trial in Market Drayton, Shropshire, on Friday, ahead of his team's 1945 BST kick-off for a game against Watford.

He faces a journey of about 200 miles to make the home game at Carrow Road.

Mr Holt, who has also played for Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday and Shrewsbury Town, requested earlier this week that the trial be postponed because of the televised Championship game.

But magistrates refused his request after it was opposed by the prosecution.

Paul Lambert, Norwich City manager, said at a team press conference on Thursday that he was aware of a court matter scheduled for Friday relating to when Mr Holt was playing for Shrewsbury Town.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Ridiculous thread.

Laws are there to protect everyone on the road!

OP sounds like he s got a chip on his shoulder!!

Bring back hanging!! :)

car without lights would piss me off so why is it ok for the most vulnerable and fragile road user (the cyclist, just in case someone was struggling) to have no lights after dark!

Enjoy your day in court.
    Oh and well done for wasting a lot of time, money and resources on something that could ve been resolved immediately!

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I was forced to cycle with my arm behind my back holding the light between my fingers.

Don't you have buttocks? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Grant Holt asked for his court case to be changed because of a football match but was refused.

Exactly! Court takes precedence to almost Everything! A guy at my secondary school had a court date that clashed with a Leaving Cert exam, but still it was the exam that had to be rearranged, not the court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

:bump:

So who's heading down to see this? I'll be in work, but I expect a full report posted here by noon! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh I forgot its court day, we need updates on a second by second basis! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement