Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hauled to court...

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

rochie16 wrote: »
    Back in March on a friday evening at 9.15 I was stopped on my bike by some rookie Garda who deemed it necessary to pull me up on my lack of lighting. I was wearing a hi-vis vest but had - a couple of days previous - removed my front light and forgot to return it. I had no back light. Whilst I understand this is not the safest way to travel, I argued it was only myself at risk. He, in is infinite wisdom, decided to have me produce my bike to a specific garda station (rathgar) the following saturday with a full set of lights. I told him that I had no intention of cycling down the 7km to Rathgar on a saturday morning, having commuted 100km to college Monday through Friday. Furthermore, I had prior commitments in the form of a football game I had to participate in. Anyways, today I received a court summons regarding this matter, and must attend court in mid September. Discarding the ridiculousness of the situation, has something similar ever happened to anyone here? What is likely to happen in court? Will the judge, like me and so many others, recognise that the matter is laughable, and strike it out of court. Or am I likely to receive some sort of fine?

Edit: A specific time on the Saturday (between 11 and 12)

Good. ITs twats like you that get killed and give cyclists a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Well, what happened?

Did the judge call for a pre-sentencing report? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

el tonto wrote: »
    Mod note: Folks can we steer clear from personal abuse. It's been a lively discussion but let's not get carried away.

Next person to fire out personal abuse in this thread will have the honour of being the first person I ban.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Next person to fire out personal abuse in this thread will have the honour of being the first person I ban.

I have no issue with clamping down on people who persistently dish out personal abuse and, on this basis, I have thanked your post. However, given that this thread is already 17 pages long and likely to get even longer when the 'court report' comes in, your warning could easily be missed by somebody who isn't following its every twist and turn. It is surely only fair to directly warn a first time offender rather than just banning them outright. That is a very severe sanction in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

cantalach wrote: »
    your warning could easily be missed by somebody who isn't following its every twist and turn. It is surely only fair to directly warn a first time offender rather than just banning them outright. That is a very severe sanction in my opinion.

That will be their problem. Bans are only a week long, they'll get over it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This is like an online boards.ie version of Law and Order - we're back for part II after the ads.......

Note to mods:- The thread should be edited to include the following as the first post......

""In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police Garda who investigate crime breaches of road safety legislation and the district attorneys Garda who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories."

That will be their problem. Bans are only a week long, they'll get over it.

Ah...I didn't realise a ban only lasted for a week. I thought it was a life sentence :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah...I didn't realise a ban only lasted for a week. I thought it was a life sentence :)
    We have the option of anything from 1 day to permanent. For this type of "offence" 7 days is normal

Now back on topic

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

Back in March on a friday evening at 9.15 I was stopped on my bike by some rookie Garda who deemed it necessary to pull me up on my lack of lighting. I was wearing a hi-vis vest but had - a couple of days previous - removed my front light and forgot to return it. I had no back light. Whilst I understand this is not the safest way to travel, I argued it was only myself at risk. He, in is infinite wisdom, decided to have me produce my bike to a specific garda station (rathgar) the following saturday with a full set of lights. I told him that I had no intention of cycling down the 7km to Rathgar on a saturday morning, having commuted 100km to college Monday through Friday. Furthermore, I had prior commitments in the form of a football game I had to participate in. Anyways, today I received a court summons regarding this matter, and must attend court in mid September. Discarding the ridiculousness of the situation, has something similar ever happened to anyone here? What is likely to happen in court? Will the judge, like me and so many others, recognise that the matter is laughable, and strike it out of court. Or am I likely to receive some sort of fine?

Edit: A specific time on the Saturday (between 11 and 12)

this is most likely the garda making up the numbers for his court cases....it happens so they get paid for a full day in court

happened me a few years back with the car had no tax had to produce di so but still got hauled up in court a year later

judge threw it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DinaElla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

The Garda was in the right. Cycling is dangerous enough (in Dublin its lethal) without comprimising your safety further and possibly causing truama and stress for others when you get killed or maimed.

You got a chance, like all road users, to meet the legal requirements of using the public road, but you threw it away. You should have told him it was difficult for you on Saturday, but that you would produce you lights at your local station or alternatively go to Rathgar on a more suitable day.

It's the law, its there for your safety and the safety or others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Oh I forgot its court day, we need updates on a second by second basis! smile.gif
    So who's heading down to see this? I'll be in work, but I expect a full report posted here by noon! biggrin.gif

Do we know for a fact that the court date is today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'd love to know how the OP got on, but I doubt very much if;

a: the Garda turns up
    b: the OP will come back and tells us the outcome.

Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Do we know for a fact that the court date is today?

Yep!
    13th of September at 10.30, bring all your friends. All are welcome!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'd love to know how the OP got on, but I doubt very much if;

a: the Garda turns up
    b: the OP will come back and tells us the outcome.

If and when the case is heard, it will become part of the public record...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts concerning the bold behaviour of mods have been moved to the Broomwagon

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ILA wrote: »
    The Garda was in the right.

Sure was.
    ILA wrote: »
    Cycling is dangerous enough (in Dublin its lethal)

Ah, it's not. Well, I'm sure people have varying experiences, but I find it really rather nice overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Probably no more so than driving or walking, i.e. plenty of "incidents" but generally quite safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Any word on the result?

Wouldnt be surprised if the judge went spare with him and gave a big fine.
    Wouldnt be surprised if the garda knew about this post. I have seen a thanks on it from at least one garda in the last few pages.

Judge is going to be sitting there thinking you were given the opportunity to mend your hand by calling to station and you didnt. Instead you are wasting the court and the gardas time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sure what would you know about court Barrabus? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

We might not get a responce from him until tomorrow, he possibly missed 'rec' time in the joy today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bequick

I think that this could all be a wind up.

The OP said he was asked to turn up
    "to a specific garda station (rathgar) the following saturday".

I just checked and there is no Garda station in Rathgar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

magotch07 wrote: »
    this is most likely the garda making up the numbers for his court cases....it happens so they get paid for a full day in court

No they don't

"Wouldnt be surprised if the garda knew about this post. I have seen a thanks on it from at least one garda in the last few pages."

The above from barrabus. I may have thanked a post here but I don't discuss what goes on here anywhere else-I don't think anybody would care anyway. Also, it would require a lot of detective work to discover who this garda is and I certainly have better and more interesting things to do with my time, besides it's hardly a federal crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

magotch07 wrote: »

happened me a few years back with the car had no tax had to produce di so but still got hauled up in court a year later

judge threw it out

Not quite true - A Guard may get overtime, but doesn't automatically get anything extra for spending a morning in the courts.

Also, if he wanted to ramp his numbers up, why offer the OP an out by way of letting him produce his bike at the station? I would've thought the Guard would have summonsed him straight off the bat if he was looking for an easy scalp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

What happened, did he get his ass fired in to jail or what I wonder, he's disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I have absolutely zero confidence that someone so self righteous will ever bother their barney to let us know the update, especially if the outcome wasn't favourable (i.e. if they can't come on and say "nyah, nyah, I fought the law and I won").

Don't hold your breath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You never know, he could be banged up. Probably got 6 months for contempt of court.

-Chris- wrote: »
    I have absolutely zero confidence that someone so self righteous [...]

Steady on there, Chris. I know you're a moderator 'n' all but that's clearly a personal comment on the OP rather than what the OP did or didn't do. And I'm sure you've seen Captain Havoc's warning on page 17! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Steady on there, Chris. I know you're a moderator 'n' all....

Mods are regular users on the forums they don't moderate.

...but that's clearly a personal comment on the OP rather than what the OP did or didn't do....

No it isn't

And I'm sure you've seen Captain Havoc's warning on page 17! :)

Back seat moderating is against the rules. If you've a problem with a post, report it.

el tonto wrote: »
    Back seat moderating is against the rules. If you've a problem with a post, report it.

Hmm...I thought the smiley at the end of my post would have made it clear (if the content didn't already) that I was just poking fun, having the craic, giving him a ribbing, calling him out, whatever you want to call it. Lighten up a bit eh? Using these forums doesn't have to be a joyless experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Using these forums doesn't have to be a joyless experience.
    Yes it does & you just remember it!!!

Hmm...I thought the smiley at the end of my post would have made it clear (if the content didn't already) that I was just poking fun, having the craic, giving him a ribbing, calling him out, whatever you want to call it. Lighten up a bit eh? Using these forums doesn't have to be a joyless experience.

Banned for one week for back seat moderation despite being warned once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Honestly believe that's harsh. Just voicing an opinion.
    Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

ROK ON wrote: »
    Honestly believe that's harsh.

Clearly. Even from 6,320km removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Ah well.

I honestly thought "back seat moderation" was a joke in this context - clearly not. Bizarre.

If people have an issue with moderating decisions, can they PM the mods and not drag it up on thread. I've had to issue three warnings now.

If we can't keep this thread on topic, we'll have to lock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

brayblue24 wrote: »
    besides it's hardly a federal crime.

just as well we don't live in a federation of any sort. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

Ah well.

I have been reading this thread for a while and it was interesting to a point. Would have loved to find out what happened in court to the OP but dont think he will let us know as too many other "incidents" within this thread. I wont remark against the mods here but just to say that I agree with the above from ROK ON.

I have been reading this thread for a while and it was interesting to a point. Would have loved to find out what happened in court to the OP but dont think he will let us know as too many other "incidents" within this thread. I wont remark against the mods here but just to say that I agree with the above from ROK ON.
    And on that note, thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement