Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archie's NFL/NCAA Tips Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Any fancies for the Saints v Cowboys game Archie?

I'm leaning towards Saints on the handicap but I'd like to hear your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nah sorry mate, Im not logging any of my bets anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Any fancies for the Saints v Cowboys game Archie?

I'm leaning towards Saints on the handicap but I'd like to hear your opinion

saints on handicap easy going for them

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Archimedes wrote: »
    Nah sorry mate, Im not logging any of my bets anymore.

How come Arch?

x PyRo wrote: »
    How come Arch?

Throwing all my money at a new car so can't afford to be gambling any more! :o

• Advertisement

Ah, crap. :( Enjoy the car dude. :)

Cheers mate, might throw up a bet or two if I'm low on petrol money any week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

That's a big possibility. We'll be all gamblers when the budget comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Archimedes wrote: »
    Throwing all my money at a new car so can't afford to be gambling any more! :o

fwiw Arch i'll miss your selections,i wasn't backing them as i've given up gamblin due to christmas,2 kids,2 mortgages....................etc but you made me a few tenners with a few of my mates over the last few months,(when i say giving up betting i mean on tinters and shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Fr Tierney

Hey Archie, I've seen ya have givin up the betting cause of the new car and xmas, but any chance you could put up some of your picks for the games at the weekend. I know its hard to pick games and not bet and then see them come up :mad:, but your game knowledge is too good to be behind the wheel of a new car.

Plus, I've gone with my own picks since and its not going good.

BTW whats with the name change. did I miss something???. While he is one of the best, I'm a Manning man myself and he is top of my pile, although a certain Mr Vick is creeping up the list.

• Advertisement

Fr Tierney wrote: »
    Hey Archie, I've seen ya have givin up the betting cause of the new car and xmas, but any chance you could put up some of your picks for the games at the weekend. I know its hard to pick games and not bet and then see them come up :mad:, but your game knowledge is too good to be behind the wheel of a new car.
    Plus, I've gone with my own picks since and its not going good.

Hey man,

Yeah sure no problem. I'll throw up a few picks, although I'd feel bad if any of them lost considering Im not putting my own money where my mouth is, but if that's a risk you're willing to take then I don't mind! Haven't looked at any spreads this week so I'll get back to you on it later on tonight or tomorrow. The only one I've looked at is the Pats/Jets game obviously because Im a Pats fan and wanted to see what the bookies thought. I quite like the -3.5 for the Pats, would be a hell of a lot more comfortable if it were -3 but I'll explain when I post next time. All the best!

Edit: In case your wondering, this is Archie. I changed my username :P

I'm more than happy to follow your selections as you seem to know a lot about the game than I do.

I'm a spread man myself and thats why I took such an interest in your bets. While I didnt do them all, I went with the ones where I knew a bit about the particular game myself and your selection just verified my bet.

I'm didnt do all your picks, but I did look at them all, and the games I did go with, I went with your advise (and made money;)). So dont leave me/us in the lurch.

We want Archie back. :mad:

x PyRo wrote: »
    We want Archie back. :mad:

He's dead and gone PyRo, let him rest in peace :pac:

I haven't looked at too many game total spreads, I'll get to that later on today or early tomorrow, but the few line spreads I like are as follows:

Auburn (-5) @ South Carolina

There's no way Auburn slip up at this late stage. They're going to the National Championship whether we like it or not. Everybody has been waiting for it all to fall apart for Auburn - we thought LSU would be too tough, then we thought Georgia had too much firepower, then we figured Nick Saban's Bama would run over them - it just didn't happen. Cam Newton established himself as a clutch leader. We knew he had all the talent in the world, but the fact that he maintains such a high level even when the chips are down is remarkable. No way does he let it slip at this stage when all eyes are on him once again. Plus, he's beat them already this year, he has their number.

Oregon (-16.5) @ Oregon State

Ok, it's a rivalry, and Oregon have been questionable on the road as of late. But Oregon State haven't covered a spread since mid-October, and since then, they have fallen apart. Like Auburn, Oregon are one win away from the National Championship. You can bet your bottom dollar that there are those in higher power that don't want TCU gatecrashing their showcase finale, so don't be surprised if there are some questionable calls in South Carolina or Oregon State. That aside, Oregon have too much for State.

Washington (-5.5) @ Washington State

Washington and Jake Locker have had a largely forgettable year. Lucky for them then that they go into this rivalry against a Washington State team who are 2-9, which in English, means they suck. Washington should cover, because State are hilariously bad.

New York Jets @ New England Patriots (-3.5)

I'd prefer if this were -3, but I'm not too confident it will drop to that, but seeing as the game is not until Monday and people will be chasing losses after Sunday, the spread could see some movement on Monday. Now it's no secret that I'm a Tom Brady fanatic, but it's also no secret that Brady is at his absolute best when he has a chip on his shoulder. Having lost to the Jets earlier in the year, and having been partly responsible throwing 2 picks, Brady will be fired up for this huge game. The Pats have home advantage, which is always huge, but the crowd will really be on Mark Sanchez' back and I can't see him shutting that out for 60 minutes. Basically, the three factors I like here are a) an in-form Brady and Belichick looking for revenge is a scary prospect, b) home advantage on MNF is so huge, and c) Jim Leonard is missing for the Jets which is such a huge blow. Im very confident the Pats will cover.

St. Louis Rams (-3) @ Arizona Cardinals

Arizona suck. I'm sorry, as much as I admire Derek Anderson for telling that reporter where to stick it last Monday, he's still an awful QB. Arizona had huge problems stopping the run last week, so Steven Jackson should have a field day. I can't see what they can do to stop both him and the studly Sam Bradford. I also have a keen eye on this game as I want to see my boy Danario Alexander rise to prominence as the Rams' number one receiver before the season ends. I expect him to put up some good numbers so an anytime touchdown bet at 7/4 also tickles my fancy.

Pittsburgh Steelers (+3) @ Baltimore Ravens

I've often spoke about how much I love the top end QB's as underdogs in big games. Big Ben is a undoubtedly a top end QB, and Steelers - Ravens is a huge, huge game, so this has me written all over it. Roethlisberger has a 4-0 record against Joe Flacco anytime they've faced each other, so I actually fancy the Steelers to win here, never mind covering the +3 spread.

3/3 tonight. I think I might take up gambling.....!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Megatitan

I for one am going on the pats spread big time tomorrow night,number of factors as stated above causing me to bet big on them. I love MNF! Brady gets his revenge I hope!

5/5 so far. :D

As if tomorrow's game didn't have enough importance, I'm now chasing my first clean sweep of the season! Patriots don't fail me now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Great work this week, but would Sanchez not fall into your Big-Time-quarterback-underdog category for tonight?

EDIT: I should really read the write-up on the previous page

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    He's dead and gone PyRo, let him rest in peace :pac:

I haven't looked at too many game total spreads, I'll get to that later on today or early tomorrow, but the few line spreads I like are as follows:

Auburn (-5) @ South Carolina

There's no way Auburn slip up at this late stage. They're going to the National Championship whether we like it or not. Everybody has been waiting for it all to fall apart for Auburn - we thought LSU would be too tough, then we thought Georgia had too much firepower, then we figured Nick Saban's Bama would run over them - it just didn't happen. Cam Newton established himself as a clutch leader. We knew he had all the talent in the world, but the fact that he maintains such a high level even when the chips are down is remarkable. No way does he let it slip at this stage when all eyes are on him once again. Plus, he's beat them already this year, he has their number.

Oregon (-16.5) @ Oregon State

Ok, it's a rivalry, and Oregon have been questionable on the road as of late. But Oregon State haven't covered a spread since mid-October, and since then, they have fallen apart. Like Auburn, Oregon are one win away from the National Championship. You can bet your bottom dollar that there are those in higher power that don't want TCU gatecrashing their showcase finale, so don't be surprised if there are some questionable calls in South Carolina or Oregon State. That aside, Oregon have too much for State.

Washington (-5.5) @ Washington State

Washington and Jake Locker have had a largely forgettable year. Lucky for them then that they go into this rivalry against a Washington State team who are 2-9, which in English, means they suck. Washington should cover, because State are hilariously bad.

New York Jets @ New England Patriots (-3.5)

I'd prefer if this were -3, but I'm not too confident it will drop to that, but seeing as the game is not until Monday and people will be chasing losses after Sunday, the spread could see some movement on Monday. Now it's no secret that I'm a Tom Brady fanatic, but it's also no secret that Brady is at his absolute best when he has a chip on his shoulder. Having lost to the Jets earlier in the year, and having been partly responsible throwing 2 picks, Brady will be fired up for this huge game. The Pats have home advantage, which is always huge, but the crowd will really be on Mark Sanchez' back and I can't see him shutting that out for 60 minutes. Basically, the three factors I like here are a) an in-form Brady and Belichick looking for revenge is a scary prospect, b) home advantage on MNF is so huge, and c) Jim Leonard is missing for the Jets which is such a huge blow. Im very confident the Pats will cover.

St. Louis Rams (-3) @ Arizona Cardinals

Arizona suck. I'm sorry, as much as I admire Derek Anderson for telling that reporter where to stick it last Monday, he's still an awful QB. Arizona had huge problems stopping the run last week, so Steven Jackson should have a field day. I can't see what they can do to stop both him and the studly Sam Bradford. I also have a keen eye on this game as I want to see my boy Danario Alexander rise to prominence as the Rams' number one receiver before the season ends. I expect him to put up some good numbers so an anytime touchdown bet at 7/4 also tickles my fancy.

Pittsburgh Steelers (+3) @ Baltimore Ravens

I've often spoke about how much I love the top end QB's as underdogs in big games. Big Ben is a undoubtedly a top end QB, and Steelers - Ravens is a huge, huge game, so this has me written all over it. Roethlisberger has a 4-0 record against Joe Flacco anytime they've faced each other, so I actually fancy the Steelers to win here, never mind covering the +3 spread.

Six out of six baby :)

Hope you took the advice in the end Fr Tierney! I may never have such a weekend ever again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Thanks for that, I got on the last three. Had a treble and double. Was going to stick 20 on the Patriots last night but backed stupid NBA instead. Cannot believe the Patriots won so easily.

• Advertisement

Took all of your advise on board. Its worked a treat. Bookie didnt know what hit him :D. The only one I was afraid of was the Patriots bet, but I ended up doing it (as you had got all the others correct at that stage) and what a result.

I also had the Giants -7.5 @ 20/23. So a great weekend had all round. Like I said earlier, keep the bets/advise coming even if your not backing them yourself. Your knowledge of the game is far better than mine and the winnings come in handy for the Christmas.

That's great to hear man, delighted you made a few quid. That's cheered me right up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

6/6? That's unreal...hope you had the accum? :p

L'prof wrote: »
    6/6? That's unreal...hope you had the accum? :p

I had two trebles with the last €16 in my account, €8 each. Got me back just over €110 with the Bet365 American Sports parlay bonus, which will nicely fund a graduation piss-up on Friday :D

Going by his post before sticking them up it looks like he didn't have any money on them.

Going by his post before sticking them up it looks like he didn't have any money on them.

See the above post. Also see the below picture :D Small bets, but a nice reward.

89293443.jpg

Ah didn't see the above post. Had clicked the reply button before it came through. Good stuff anyways. I woulda been on the Rams and Steelers money line but had my account temporary suspended for using it in the US.

Ah didn't see the above post. Had clicked the reply button before it came through. Good stuff anyways. I woulda been on the Rams and Steelers money line but had my account temporary suspended for using it in the US.

Seriously? What's the big deal with using it in the US? Is it just that you might have access to information before them or something?

Online gambling is illegal in almost all jurisdictions in the US so Paddy Power comply with their law by not allowing people with American IP address and personal details open accounts and bet with them. Which includes an Irish opened account being used over there. I used it for a few days when i first got over and they must have copped it when doing a log check or whatever. I just had to email them a scanned copy of my return ticket and they reopened it.

• Advertisement

Indianapolis Colts (-3) @ Tennessee Titans

I quite fancy the Colts at -3 tonight. Peyton Manning has struggled lately, but a Thursday Night Football game against a division rival is a stage he'll want to correct that. The Titans are in a mess, and haven't scored an offensive touchdown in their last 3 games (13 quarters without an offensive TD) and luckily for Manning, they haven't forced a turnover in 2 and a half games (their last 10 quarters of football). It's a tough divisional game however, but I fancy it to be the kick up the backside the Colts desperately need.

Advertisement