Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archie's NFL/NCAA Tips Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

jodaw wrote: »
    :D does it count as after timing if you dont bet and dont win anything?

We call that ego aftertiming,

I'm tremendously guilty of it a lot of the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Some serious after timing going on in here!

:P bucs bet aint even going to come in now by the looks of things!! thought it was in the end of the 4th but its only in the 3rd fml! 2/4 aint bad for my 1st week though :P 3/4 with any luck! also i posted up one of the winners in my log ;)

jive wrote: »
    :P bucs bet aint even going to come in now by the looks of things!! thought it was in the end of the 4th but its only in the 3rd fml! 2/4 aint bad for my 1st week though :P 3/4 with any luck! also i posted up one of the winners in my log ;)

Ah Im not complaining, if you get away with it anywhere in the gambling forum it's in here. Us NFL fans are a very laidback bunch! As long as we're all winning, anything goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pretty confident alright. The only thing the Seahawks have going for them at the moment is a great atmosphere when they're at home, but obviously they're on the road this week so that gets nullified. Matt Hasselbeck is turning the ball over like there's no tomorrow - he really is finished as the Seahawks QB. I still think he could be a serviceable player in this league, but he gets so little protection that he actually looks like he's genuinely terrified to take one more big hit that could finish his career. He just slings it out of there at any opportunity. You'll also find a huge correlation between teams turning the ball over and losing. They'll also be pretty beat after giving it their all against the Falcons last week, but that one got away from them when Hasselbeck threw 2 picks (he actually got pulled from the game, so if Whitehurst starts instead tonight, we're laughing - he's hopeless). They've also had to travel on the back of that defeat, it's a long treck so I just don't think they'll be able to keep up with an exciting host of Bucs youngsters. If I was using my old scale of 1 - 5 units, this would be a 3 unit selection, verging on 3.5 depending what mood I'm in :pac:

I think I love you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Can ya think of any reason that Eagles v Vikings isn't on PP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It was called off :pac: blizzards there tonight and moved till tuesday night wednesday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

robbie1977 wrote: »
    It was called off :pac: blizzards there tonight and moved till tuesday night wednesday morning.

Ah that'd explain it so.:pac:

Taken down because of the weather, but more importantly it gives Adrian Peterson an extra couple of days recovery time so the bookies won't offer a spread until they know a bit more. If he plays, it won't be -14 again that's for sure so I'd hold off betting on it. I was tipping -14 earlier on the assumption he'd miss it tonight.

I'm leaning more towards the Saints to be honest, as it goes with my habit of backing one of the elite six (Brees) as an underdog in a big game and that system always does very well for me given the circumstances. It's a huge statement game for the Falcons, but their secondary lets them down here and I can see Brees shredding them on Monday. I also think that Roddy White's comments midweek will have mightily pissed off the Saints and I can see them being even more pumped up as a result, something defending SuperBowl champions often need.

Such a consistent system! Betting on the elite 6 as underdogs has been a Godsend this year :)

TCU (-3) vs Wisconsin

I fancy TCU to take Wisconsin apart tonight. This is a huge statement game for TCU - it's their chance to do what millions of college football fans around the world want to do and that is tell the BCS to STFU. The sooner we get a playoff system the better, but until then, we're going to have to make do with hoping teams like TCU can topple the darlings of college football from bigger conferences. I think they'll do it for the simple fact that often gets overlooked - they're the better team.

• Advertisement

Hello Wisconsin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Think I might back that one Tom. Gonna do some research beforehand but want to have a bit of an interest if I'm gonna watch it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

TCU (-3) vs Wisconsin

I fancy TCU to take Wisconsin apart tonight. This is a huge statement game for TCU - it's their chance to do what millions of college football fans around the world want to do and that is tell the BCS to STFU. The sooner we get a playoff system the better, but until then, we're going to have to make do with hoping teams like TCU can topple the darlings of college football from bigger conferences. I think they'll do it for the simple fact that often gets overlooked - they're the better team.

I'm with you, nice piece on the match here
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/preview/NCAAF_20110101_WI@TCU

TCU (-3) vs Wisconsin

damn I wish I didnt have money tied up else where

but well done Tom

Headshot wrote: »
    damn I wish I didnt have money tied up else where

but well done Tom

Not over yet man, not by a long shot.

Not over yet man, not by a long shot.

oh sorry I thought it was :o

Jinxed it you bastard!

Oh well, enjoyable game so no biggy. That would hurt if I had money on it!

**** it

blood jinxing :(

It's the playoffs, so I'm gonna start betting on every game in the playoffs just to maximise excitement and interest. It's been a great season and it promises to be a dramatic post season, so I dont really need to, but feck it, I'm a sucker for big occasions! This weekend I'm going for the following.

New Orleans Saints @ Seattle Seahawks (+10.5)

I know the Seahawks suck, but we're blessed that it's Matt Hasselbeck starting and not Charlie Whitehurst. That should shave a good 2 - 3 points off the spread imo. Not that Hasselbeck is a stud anymore, but I can see the Seattle faithful rallying behind their team more with him under centre. I just think it's a very high spread considering how tough a place Seattle is to visit. You know what else? I fancy a bit of an upset here, and if the spread was even +7.5 I'd still go for it. The Saints are heavy favourites, so I guess Im hoping that the Seahawks can run them close, or come up with a poxy backdoor cover!

Baltimore Ravens (-3) @ Kansas City Chiefs

I really like the Ravens here. The Chiefs are, well, I wouldn't say a fraud playoff team, but they're definitely the weakest outside of Seattle. They haven't beaten any other of the playoff teams during the regular season, and they lost 4 of their 6 divisional games. Looking at their schedule this year, and I don't see a good team they've beaten apart from the Chargers, but they sucked this year and made an even slower start than they always do (that game was in Week 1). The only decent quarterbacks they came up against after that were Schaub, Manning and Rivers (again) and they lost all three. The rest of the teams they faced were pretty bad. Looking at their schedule, something else also pops up. Apart from the Chargers in Week 1 and the Rams in Week 15, every other team they've beat have bounced between QBs this year. I just dont think they've been tested, and a team as solid and talented as the Ravens - who trounced the Patriots on the road at the same stage last year - should win comfortably here. This is my favourite play this week.

New York Jets (+2.5) @ Indianapolis Colts

I don't trust either team so this isn't a huge play, but I just have a gut feeling we're destined for another Jets - Patriots game. When your biggest factor for a bet is a gut feeling, it can never be a huge play! Manning had his way with the Jets last year, so Im sure Rex Ryan will unleash something new on him. It's important that Ryan mixes things up and keeps Manning on edge, it's going to be a fascinating game, I think the Jets defence and the Colts offence are equally as good (and equally as underperforming) so it will come down to the Jets offence versus the Colts defence, and Im giving the edge to the Jets. Just a gut feeling!

Green Bay Packers (+2.5) @ Philadelphia Eagles

Aaron Rodgers is an underdog, where do I sign up? I trust him Rodgers immensely. I trust the Packers defence more, and I can see them getting lots of pressure on Mike Vick. Clay Matthews could have a huge game, and Vick was turning the ball over more towards the end of the season so if his ball security isn't tremendously safe, this game could be win on defence for the Packers. I just trust their pass rush, and I think Williams and Woodson in the secondary are a great security against Vick's big plays. But again, I won't lie. This is all down to Aaron Rodgers as an underdog and I can't bet against him. He's too good.

New Orleans Saints @ Seattle Seahawks (+10.5)

I know the Seahawks suck, but we're blessed that it's Matt Hasselbeck starting and not Charlie Whitehurst. That should shave a good 2 - 3 points off the spread imo. Not that Hasselbeck is a stud anymore, but I can see the Seattle faithful rallying behind their team more with him under centre. I just think it's a very high spread considering how tough a place Seattle is to visit. You know what else? I fancy a bit of an upset here, and if the spread was even +7.5 I'd still go for it. The Saints are heavy favourites, so I guess Im hoping that the Seahawks can run them close, or come up with a poxy backdoor cover!

Not a bad start to the weekend :)

Have to cheer on the Jets now. Eeww.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Run it then adam

davyjose wrote: »
    Run it then adam

:confused:

New York Jets (+2.5) @ Indianapolis Colts

I don't trust either team so this isn't a huge play, but I just have a gut feeling we're destined for another Jets - Patriots game. When your biggest factor for a bet is a gut feeling, it can never be a huge play! Manning had his way with the Jets last year, so Im sure Rex Ryan will unleash something new on him. It's important that Ryan mixes things up and keeps Manning on edge, it's going to be a fascinating game, I think the Jets defence and the Colts offence are equally as good (and equally as underperforming) so it will come down to the Jets offence versus the Colts defence, and Im giving the edge to the Jets. Just a gut feeling!

...and that's what it came down to :)

Never been so happy to see a Jets victory.

2 for 2 so far, good start to the weekend. Back in action tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

...and that's what it came down to :)

Never been so happy to see a Jets victory.

2 for 2 so far, good start to the weekend. Back in action tomorrow!

:) didn't even need the spread. I backed your picks in a yankee, small bet but here's hoping.

Baltimore Ravens (-3) @ Kansas City Chiefs

I really like the Ravens here. The Chiefs are, well, I wouldn't say a fraud playoff team, but they're definitely the weakest outside of Seattle. They haven't beaten any other of the playoff teams during the regular season, and they lost 4 of their 6 divisional games. Looking at their schedule this year, and I don't see a good team they've beaten apart from the Chargers, but they sucked this year and made an even slower start than they always do (that game was in Week 1). The only decent quarterbacks they came up against after that were Schaub, Manning and Rivers (again) and they lost all three. The rest of the teams they faced were pretty bad. Looking at their schedule, something else also pops up. Apart from the Chargers in Week 1 and the Rams in Week 15, every other team they've beat have bounced between QBs this year. I just dont think they've been tested, and a team as solid and talented as the Ravens - who trounced the Patriots on the road at the same stage last year - should win comfortably here. This is my favourite play this week.

Killed that one if I do say so myself :D

Just need the Packers now for a clean sweep this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

Killed that one if I do say so myself :D

Just need the Packers now for a clean sweep this weekend!

Well done Tom, unfortunately only backed the Packers this weekend. Is your confidence high in the final bet for a perfect streak?? :)

Mossyman wrote: »
    Well done Tom, unfortunately only backed the Packers this weekend. Is your confidence high in the final bet for a perfect streak?? :)

Well it was before the game, but now that I'm 3 for 3, I don't know if I have it in me to go 4 for 4! :o

I'd still back the Packers, I just think they have the perfect defence to combat Vick, and this time they'll be able to prepare for him. The elite underdog system has done me very well this year so it would be a kick in the balls if it was to let me down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Bumsex

thanks archie,took up interest with your selection and decided to go in on it with 250 at -3.5 at 11/10.
    thanks,your defo 1 of the best ive seen at the nfl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Cheers for the tips. Made a nice few quid :D

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, appreciate it! Always a nice warm fuzzy feeling when people make a few quid off of a tip :D

Advertisement