Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archie's NFL/NCAA Tips Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Damn you Rams...it's never easy this betting craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ah well, the Redskins only let down a 1 point accumulator for me, so no biggy. Today's other results were...
    Dallas Cowboys @ Houston Texans
    1 pts - Winner - Dallas Cowboys (+3.0) @ 4/5 (Bet365)

Win returns 1.8 pts

It was bound to happen, the Cowboys just had to rebound and there was no way they were going into their bye week 0-3. It panned pretty much as I said, with Tony Romo having his way with a poor Texans secondary, and the Texans looking tired following their exertions from the opening two weeks.
    Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings
    3 pts - Winner - Minnesota Vikings (-10.5) @ 10/11 (Bet365)

Win returns 5.73 pts

Back of the net! Favre wasn't as polished as I thought he would be this week - he's throwing far too many interceptions this season so that will be worth keeping an eye on for future match ups. But this was all about Adrian Peterson, he just dominated the Lions. Good win for the Vikes, they get their first win of the year, but with some very difficult matches ahead. Don't be surprised to see me bet against them in the coming weeks.
    Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    4 pts - Winner - Philadelphia Eagles (-2.5) @ 10/11 (Bet365)

Win returns 7.64 pts

Mike Vick just might be taking some throwing lessons, he connected for 3 TDs and scrambled for one. The Jaguars really are awful. Unless their playing the Colts or the Texans - the only occasions they really seem to raise their game - I should really bet against them every week. Good win here, despite the fact I owe it to a scumbag dog killer.
    Preseason: 6 wins, 5 losses, + 6.6% profit

Week One: 5 wins, 4 losses, - 3.4% loss

Week Two: 8 wins, 3 losses, + 38.3% profit

Week Three: 6 wins, 3 losses, + 31.84% profit

Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears
    1.5 pts - Winner - Green Bay Packers (-2.5) @ 5/6 (Bet365)

This game has classic written all over it, but I wont lie - part of the reason on placing this bet is to make it all the more meaningful! Still, the Bears struggled to get past the Lions at home in Week 1, and should have lost were it not for a BS call at the end of the game where a perfectly legitimate Calvin Johnson touchdown was disallowed. Against the Cowboys last week, sure Jay Cutler did well, but there was only a touchdown in it and Dallas had hardly set the world on fire in Week 1. I reckon the Cowboys were still trying to find themselves, something they found yesterday. The Bears gave up big yardage to Tony Romo and Miles Austin, so I would expect Aaron Rodgers to do the same with Jennings, Driver and Finley at his disposal. Jay Cutler is having a big rebound season so far, and fair play to him for it, I do like the guy. But tonight Clay Matthews will have Cutler in his crosshairs. Matthews already has a terrifying 12 tackles and 6 sacks on the season. With how poor the Bears offensive line can be, that has the potential to rise even further tonight. I mean, just look at him - that's one scary son of a bitch!

56289980.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

story boi,
    you seem to know what your talking about,and seem to know the sport better than any1 else on here,so on that note il start to follow your bets for a couple of weeks just to see how things pan out..
    best of luck for both our sakes..

coughlan08 wrote: »
    story boi,
    you seem to know what your talking about,and seem to know the sport better than any1 else on here,so on that note il start to follow your bets for a couple of weeks just to see how things pan out..
    best of luck for both our sakes..

Cheers man, although tonight is a risky one to start with! Having said that, my luck seems to be in at the moment, and it's only a 1.5 pt bet anyway so hopefully it comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Archimedes wrote: »
    Cheers man, although tonight is a risky one to start with! Having said that, my luck seems to be in at the moment, and it's only a 1.5 pt bet anyway so hopefully it comes in.

Going to go against ya on this one Archie and going with the Bears +3 .. which will most likely mean my money will be firmly in Paddy Powers hands!

The overs might be the one to be on.

dont have sky or anything like that,
    could you give me link to the game,its going to be my first time seeing a game.pathetic i know

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

this is prob the best link if interested..

http://www.playfifaonline.com/channel2.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm really in 2 minds on this one. I'm not sure if the bears are for real this year and unfortunately it might take tonights game to figure it out. Looks like the Chicago O are finally working as a unit and the D is quite scary looking. But i hate going against Rodgers and the Bears 2-0 could have easily been 1-1 as they were lucky to beat the Lions. And Dallas sucked against them. Might have some player or overs bets now and see what the handicap is like on the in play. Good luck anyways.

• Advertisement

whats the score,i lost the stream

coughlan08 wrote: »
    whats the score,i lost the stream

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010092700/2010/REG3/packers@bears

Would rather not turn this into a general chat thread either so please use the AF forum if you want to talk about the game.

Week Three: 6 wins, 4 losses, + 24.3% profit

Disappointed with that Packers bet, but they lack so much discipline. Gave away the most penalties in franchise history which cost them over 150 yards - you just can't do that and get away with. Oh well, onwards and upwards, a nice profit was posted anyway so alls well that ends well :)

On to Week 5.

Penn State @ Iowa
    3 pts - Winner - Iowa (-7.0) @ 20/23 (Bet365)

I like this bet for a number of reasons. First off, Iowa traditionally get the better of Penn State, having beat them in 7 of their last 8 meetings. Iowa just know how to get the better of their opponents - their last 2 defeats of Penn State came when PSU were a top 5 ranked team. I also like how Iowa rebounded from their loss in Arizona - Ricky Stanzi looked back to his best last week so hopefully he does the business. He's a top QB. But what tips this bet in my favour more than anything is the QB situation over at Penn State. Do I see a true freshman QB leading his team to victory over a Ricky Stanzi led Iowa in Iowa? No, no I don't. Iowa are heavy favourites in front of their own fans for a reason.

Georgia @ Colorado
    3 pts - Winner - Georgia (-4.0) @ 5/6 (Bet365)

Coaches, lock up your corner backs, because AJ Green is back. Georgia's superstar receiver is, pound for pound, one of the very best elite players in the nation. They say the only sure things in life are death and taxes. Well you can add Green being a top 5 pick in the 2011 NFL draft to that list. He's that good, trust me. His return is a big boost to a Georgia side who have struggled this year. Not only does he give Aaron Murray a blue chip receiver to throw to, but he will also open up the running game which has flattered to deceive this year. Of course Georgia's main strength is their defence, particularly in stopping the run, which will be useful against Colorado given their preference to attack with an emphasis on their ground game.

Virginia Tech @ North Carolina State
    3 pts - Winner - Virginia Tech (-4.0) @ 11/10 (Bet365)

Virginia Tech's shock loss to James Madison a couple weeks leaves us with a favourable points spread for the rest of the season, which I won't complain about. Let's not forget this is still a very good team. They came within 3 points of a seemingly unstoppable Boise State - no mean feat - and shut out Boston College last week in a 19-0 win against one of the better defences in the nation. NCS are on a high right now, but might be too cocky coming into this game. VT will be pissed right now, and crushing an NCS team who are a bit too confident will go a long way towards making them feel better. It'll be interesting to see how NCS quarterback Russell Wilson does. He's winning a lot of plaudits right now, but this is the toughest defence he'll have faced so far. Plus, Ryan Williams is reportedly set to start for VT, which is a huge boost for their offence.

I'll get to my NFL bets later on in the week, not sure what funds I'm working with this weekend beyond my NCAA matches as I might be making a withdrawal, but I'll definitely throw something up here. Having said that, beyond the Jags at +8.0 there is very little I like the look of.

Going to add a couple more college football bets in the absence of anything tasty in the NFL.

Florida @ Alabama
    3 pts - Winner - Alabama (-7.0) @ 5/6 (Bet365)

These two teams last met in 2009 in the SEC Championship Game, with Florida ranked number 1 in the country and Alabama at 2. Needless to say, we all know what happened. Alabama crushed them, making a mockery of the 4.5 point spread, eventually winning 32-17. Not too much has changed since then for the Crimson Tide. They still have Greg McElroy, Julio Junes, Trent Richardson and Mark Ingram. Florida meanwhile have lost an abundance of superstars - Tim Tebow, Joe Haden, Jermain Cunningham, Maurkice Pouncey, Brandon Spikes and Carlos Dunlap being the most prominent. Bama are currently ranked ahead of Florida in the 4 main statistics categories - passing yards (28th vs 90th), rushing yards (13th vs 48th), points for (15th vs 19th) and points against (1st vs 15th) - this despite Alabama having a tougher schedule (games against ranked Penn State and Arkansas). Alabama have too many superstars for the Gators to cope with, who despite their 4-0 record, have not blown anybody away just yet. Throw in Alabama's fabled home field advantage, and my money is all over the Tide.

Stanford @ Oregon
    3 pts - Winner - Stanford (+7.0) @ 10/11 (Bet365)

It's no secret that I love Stanford. Andrew Luck is a lethal QB, one of the best around and a sure fire top 5/top 10 pick in the 2011 draft, but what I like most about Stanford is their power. They're a very physical team, very powerful, and Oregon will not be comfortable with this. Oregon may have scored more points than anyone in the country, but 72-0 and 69-0 blowouts against New Mexico and Portland make that stat look more impressive than it is. They just haven't faced a decent team yet. Stanford, meanwhile, are on a roll of their own, and are also 4-0 so far. But unlike Oregon, they've had some tough encounters. They made a mockery of UCLA, shutting them out in a 35-0 win on the road, and also a 37-14 win at Notre Dame last week. Andrew Luck has put up practically the same yards per game average as Darron Thomas despite his tougher schedule, and I expect Luck to put up a good show in Oregon. It would not surprise me if Stanford came away from this game 5-0, but I definitely fancy them to at least cover the spread.

And the weekly 1 points accumulator...

Denver Broncos @ Tennessee Titans (-6.5)
    Houston Texans (-3.0) @ Oakland Raiders
    Chicago Bears (+4.0) @ New York Giants
    Detroit Lions (+14.0) @ Green Bay Packers

1 pts @ 11.5/1
    (Bet365)

I'll throw up one or two NFL singles on Saturday night.

Florida @ Alabama
    3 pts - Winner - Alabama (-7.0) @ 5/6 (Bet365)

Win returns 5.5 pts

Alabama are good. Scary good. The type of good at which point their rivals stop getting jealous, and just linger in awe. This team are going undefeated again this year.
    Stanford @ Oregon
    3 pts - Winner - Stanford (+7.0) @ 10/11 (Bet365)

Loss returns 0 pts

This one hurt, because Stanford were up by 18 at one stage. Oregon fought back, and once they took the lead, there was too much for Andrew Luck to chase which led to picks, fumbles, sacks etc. I still like the Luck of Stanford (see what I did there?) and spread dependent, will pick them over USC next week.
    Penn State @ Iowa
    3 pts - Winner - Iowa (-7.0) @ 20/23 (Bet365)

Win returns 5.61 pts

This one panned out exactly as expected. Iowa controlled the game, and killed anything PSU offered thanks to their mean defence. Stanzi did good too.
    Georgia @ Colorado
    3 pts - Winner - Georgia (-4.0) @ 5/6 (Bet365)

Loss returns 0 pts

AJ Green was as good as I said he would be. He's just an awesome talent, but Georgia's season was summed up on the final play of their last drive. Down by 2 and near the red zone, they fumbled and gave up the ball. I have no doubt they would have gone for the TD that would have beat the spread, but they screwed up a flea flicker and paid the price. Disappointing.
    Virginia Tech @ North Carolina State
    3 pts - Winner - Virginia Tech (-4.0) @ 11/10 (Bet365)

Win returns 5.73 pts

It was closer than it should have been, but in the end Virginia Tech did enough. One hell of a dramatic finish though - Tech were ahead by 4 and went for a 2 pt conversion, which they missed - everybody who had backed the -4 spread like myself was pissed. Fortunately, on the resulting possession, NCS threw a pick, and VT added another TD to seal the win. That'll do donkey, that'll do.

Week Four: 3 wins, 2 losses, + 12.3% profit

I'll have some NFL picks up tomorrow.

Don't have time for long write ups here folks, but here's a few picks. Only one I really fancy is the Titans game, as the rest are just 1 pt bets.

Denver Broncos @ Tennessee Titans
    3 pts - Winner - Titans (-6.5) @ 20/21 (Bet365)

Titans were very good last week, and Broncos gave their all against the Colts and came up short. I don't think they'll have anything left in the tank to give on the road at the Titans today.

Seattle Seahawks @ St Louis Rams
    1 pts - Winner - Rams (+1.5) @ 20/21 (Bet365)

Seahawks aren't too great on the road, and the Rams are in good form. Bradford looks a cracking prospect, and Jackson has been passed fit to play which helps.

Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    1 pts - Winner - Jaguars (+8.0) @ 10/13 (Bet365)

These games are always close, as the Jags never both trying against anyone else other than their divisional rivals. The Colts at home is the one game they circle on their calendar every year as soon as the fixtures are announced - this is their big one.

San Francisco 49ers @ Atlanta Falcons
    1 pts - Winner - 49ers (+7.0) @ 4/5 (Bet365)

This has one of those mental edges I like the look of. The 49ers will not want to go 0-4, and will give their all in this game. The Falcons meanwhile are off the back of winning their biggest game of the year in overtime, so they may slack off a little. I can see the 49ers beating the spread at least.

Washington Redskins @ Philadelphia Eagles
    1 pts - Winner - Eagles (-5.0) @ 10/11 (Bet365)

I'm down just a small bit from yesterday, so decided to have a bumper day on the Patriots - Dolphins game tonight, being the Pats first MNF game of the year, it's a big deal ;)

2 pts - Patriots (+1) @ 10/11
    1 pts - Tom Brady over 270.5 yards @ 4/6
    3 pts - Wes Welker over 66.5 yards @ 4/5
    1.5 pts - Randy Moss over 67.5 yards @ 10/13
    1 pts - Anytime TD BenJarvus Green-Ellis @ Evens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Archimedes wrote: »
    I'm down just a small bit from yesterday, so decided to have a bumper day on the Patriots - Dolphins game tonight, being the Pats first MNF game of the year, it's a big deal ;)

Hi Arch,

Are those yardage selections available on Bet365 do you know, can't seem to find them?

EDIT: Never mind, found them

• Advertisement

Denver Broncos @ Tennessee Titans (-6.5)
    Houston Texans (-3.0) @ Oakland Raiders
    Chicago Bears (+4.0) @ New York Giants
    Detroit Lions (+14.0) @ Green Bay Packers

1 pts @ 11.5/1
    (Bet365)
    Denver Broncos @ Tennessee Titans
    3 pts - Winner - Titans (-6.5) @ 20/21 (Bet365)
    Washington Redskins @ Philadelphia Eagles
    1 pts - Winner - Eagles (-5.0) @ 10/11 (Bet365)

Losses return 0 pts
    Seattle Seahawks @ St Louis Rams
    1 pts - Winner - Rams (+1.5) @ 20/21 (Bet365)

Win returns 1.95 pts
    Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    1 pts - Winner - Jaguars (+8.0) @ 10/13 (Bet365)

Win returns 1.62 pts
    San Francisco 49ers @ Atlanta Falcons
    1 pts - Winner - 49ers (+7.0) @ 4/5 (Bet365)

Win returns 1.8 pts

Win returns 3.82 pts

Win returns 5.4 pts

Win returns 2 pts

Week Four: 9 wins, 7 losses, + 6.23% profit

Getting on this double nice and early before the spread changes.

Alabama (-6.5) @ South Carolina
    Auburn (-7.0) @ Kentucky

3 pts @ 13/5
    (Bet365)

If you've been following me in anyway, you'll notice that at the mere mention of Alabama, I start to blush and giggle uncontrollably. I have the biggest schoolgirl crush on them, but after all, they are the number one ranked team in the country. They're just too good, like the team of space monsters in Space Jam, except in our version, they're the ones who have Michael Jordan in Mark Ingram. He's a superstar - so much so that I've forever immortalised him by ordering an Ingram Crimson Tide jersey. Yeah, that's right, he joins Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers in my jersey brigade. High praise indeed, Bama should cover the spread easily after tearing apart number 7 ranked Florida. As for Auburn, well they've got one of the most potent ground games in the country. QB Cameron Newton is like Denard Robinson light - great in the pocket and great on the run. Onterio McCalebb doesn't take too many carries, but when he does, he gets huge gains. He must have over 8 yards a carry at this stage. Auburn just love to put points on the board, which goes hand in hand with Kentucky's problem of giving up too many points. Florida crushed Kentucky, and trust me, there is very little difference between Auburn and Florida, so I fancy the Tigers to easily beat this spread.

Will get to some more later in the week, just had to throw this one up early.

Seriously low funds in my account right now as I withdrew the majority of it for the coming weekend, and I wont be able to top it up until mid-next week, so the only other action I'll have for this weekend is the following treble.

Denver Broncos (+7.0) @ Baltimore Ravens
    Tennessee Titans (+7.0) @ Dallas Cowboys
    Philadelphia Eagles (+3.0) @ San Francisco 49ers

2 pts @ 6/1
    (Bet365)

In a nutshell, the Ravens have done absolutely nothing to suggest they should be favoured by 7 over a strong Broncos team who, at the moment, have the best passing game in the league. The Cowboys are coming off their bye week, and will probably under prepare for a Titans team they saw lose to Denver, so I fancy the Titans to upset the spread. As for the Eagles, Kevin Kolb will have a huge chip on his shoulder after being dumped for Mike Vick, and then being rushed into Washington mid-game wit all that expectancy. I expect him to blitz the 49ers, who will be sapped after yet another last gasp defeat at Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

hi archi do u fancy any 1 of the 2 college picks over the other and which of your nfl treble would u fancy most?
    thanks in advance

Yup, I'd be leaning towards Alabama more than Auburn, and if I had to pick from the NFL, I'd probably give the edge to the Eagles.

5 pts on Eagles (-3) at 20/21.

1 pts on Jeremy Maclin over 54.5 yards at 5/6

Can't be arsed doing a Win/Lose entry, but another winning week in the books. This would have been my most profitable week to date had I more funds to play around with but sadly I had to lump my picks together in accumulators which didn't come off. Similar to last week, I was left chasing a loss, and thankfully I came out in the plus again. Bit of a clutch gambler I am! :cool::pac:

Week Five: 2 wins, 2 losses, + 6.0% profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Didn't realise you were this on the ball when it came to betting for nfl arch, might start following you this week.

Slight miscalculation above. Just seen that the odds for the Eagles +3 were 21/20 instead of 20/21, which is always a nice surprise :)

Week Five: 2 wins, 2 losses, + 9.82% profit

• Advertisement

Had this little flutter last night, only a 1 pt bet though. Annoyed because I usually make 3 pt bets on player performances. Oh well, a win's a win.

Week Five: 3 wins, 2 losses, + 16.25% profit

Advertisement