Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archie's NFL/NCAA Tips Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

L'prof wrote: »
    Guaranteed profit for me there now!

Did you go for them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Archimedes wrote: »
    Did you go for them too?

Yep, with a bit of dutching to guarantee a profit if either came in. Thanks man, liked the look of it after reading your write up.

L'prof wrote: »
    Yep, with a bit of dutching to guarantee a profit if either came in. Thanks man, liked the look of it after reading your write up.

Sweet, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :o

Pretty pointless weekend tbh, lowest profit yet. Gonna adopt a new tactic next week which should see a nice increase. I'll have my college bets up probably Wednesday.
    Preseason: 6 wins, 5 losses, + 6.6% profit

Week One: 5 wins, 4 losses, - 3.4% loss

Week Two: 8 wins, 3 losses, + 38.3% profit

Week Three: 6 wins, 4 losses, + 24.3% profit

Week Four: 9 wins, 7 losses, + 6.23% profit

Week Five: 3 wins, 2 losses, + 16.25% profit

Week Six: 7 wins, 7 losses, + 2.32% profit

Well last week was very Jekyll and Hyde. Whereas I aced the college football on Saturday, my bigger bets on the NFL let me down on Sunday. Some things I've learned this season are that my lower confidence bets are performing better than my higher confidence bets which is having an adverse effect on my profit, and secondly, that my luck seems to be in whenever Im chasing a profit. I'm changing my system and going with doubles from now on, because all these singles - while fun keeping track - are just not returning a worth long term profit. A record of 44-32 has seen a return of what Im guessing is around 20-25 points since the start of the season, which just isn't worthwhile.

So, with that out of the way, what do we have ahead of us? Some cracking match-ups at both levels of football. The underperforming San Diego Chargers need a win when they host a New England Patriots in full stride in what should be a contender for the game of the weekend in the NFL, with the other being that little spoken about matter of Bret Favre and the Vikes returning to Green Bay once again. I won't be betting on either of them - everything tells me the Pats should comfortably beat the Chargers, but the fact that the Chargers are in such desperate need of a win turns me off, and Lord knows what will happen in Lambeau. But those two games are the sideshow for me, as the big daddy this weekend for me will be LSU and their meanest of mean defences trying to put a stop to the showstopper that is Auburn's Cam Newton. The giant quarterback, who just happens to move like bloody Reggie Bush, has shot to the top of everybody's Heisman list thanks to a 25 touchdown haul so far this season (13 passing, 12 rushing). Unbeaten LSU and their defence - who rumour has it, like to beat up children and crush puppies just for kicks - will have their work cut out for him. Anyway, enough of my rabble. Onto this week's revamped picks, which will be placed with PaddyPower from now on due to Bet365 being a shower of ****.

San Diego State (-24) @ New Mexico
    New Mexico State @ Idaho (-24)
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

The two New Mexico teams are awful. They only have 1 win between them, and the only reason for that is they were playing each other! That's how bad they are. San Diego State crushed New Mexico State - the only team with the win - and now they travel to New Mexico so they should do the business there. Idaho are inconsistent, but they have no problem putting points on the board and have a very potent passing offence (4th in the nation), so they should have relative ease covering the spread against the 114th ranked defence at home.

Alabama (-16.5) @ Tennessee
    Notre Dame (-6) @ Navy
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

Alabama will put an unconvincing loss behind them against a poor Tennessee side. It's all or nothing now for Bama, and I trust Nick Saban to get them in the right frame of mind here. Notre Dame are on a three game win streak, covering the spread each time, and I really fancy them to cover against a 4-2 Navy, who's 4 wins are as unconvincing as you can get.

South Carolina (-12.5) @ Vanderbilt
    Duke @ Virginia Tech (-27)
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

South Carolina will be annoyed with following up their win over Alabama with a loss at Kentucky, so expect them to be fired up against a very poor Vanderbilt. That loss against Kentucky has actually given us a very kind spread here, so they should cover easily. Virginia Tech are on fire, still motivated by the James Madison incident, and have covered the spread in 5 consecutive victories since. Duke covered the spread against Miami last week which annoyed me, but that was at home so a road game against VTA is beyond them.

NFL bets will be up either Saturday night or Sunday morning. Enjoy the weekend's football!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Profit is profit my man, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Great write-ups again, short and to the point. Which double would you be most confident about Archie? I'm thinking the one involving Virginia tech seeing as they came through last week but then again my knowledge of nfl or ncaa is zilch

To be honest, I really can't rank one above the other. That's not to say they're sure things or anything, I just feel they all have an equal chance of coming through. What you could do to maybe give yourself a bit more breathing room is just mix and match, and take the two home teams in Virginia Tech and Idaho, with obviously placing an added emphasis on the boost a team gets playing at home in front of their own fans! Or whatever works for you, that's just an option :)

Well Notre Dame seem to have imploded, so there goes that double. Heck even if two doubles fail and only one comes in, it's still a profit which is why I chose the three doubles system.

Virginia Tech are crushing Duke, so barring a miracle comeback from "Do they have a football team?", tonight's profit lies with South Carolina. If the New Mexico Twins are as bad as universally expected, it could be a good night. Away out on the piss now to satisfy the gambling alcoholic stereotype so football Gods - I'll leave it in your hands!

Im dying, so I'll throw these up here now and post up explanations a couple of hours before kick off when I'm less dying.

Washington Redskins @ Chicago Bears (-3.0)
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Atlanta Falcons (-3.0)
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Miami Dolphins (+3.0)
    St. Louis Rams (+3.0) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

Oakland Raiders (+8.0) @ Denver Broncos
    Cleveland Browns (+13.0) @ New Orleans Saints
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

Three doubles, one set of short home favourites, one set of short underdogs and one set of long road underdogs. We'll see how it goes. Also a couple of anytime TD doubles:

Percy Harvin (MIN) anytime
    Mike Williams (SEA) anytime
    0.5 pts @ 9/1
    (PaddyPower)

Deion Branch (NE) anytime
    Donald Driver (GB) anytime
    0.5 pts @ 22/3
    (PaddyPower)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

Good man Arch!

Made a slight profit yesterday from the VT/SC double and with the Raiders 45 points up with 1/4 left, thats two more doubles in the bag!!:D

5/6 today, very impressive!

Cheers man, brilliant day so far! Looking at about a 74% profit as it stands, if Percy Harvin grabs a TD tonight it pushes it up to about 90%. Some days your luck is just in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well done arch

Pity I dont follow ya but I just cant follow sports I know nothing about

Percy Harvin, I could kiss you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Good day for you Arch. This weekend was a write off for me thanks to drinking. Was too hung over to bet. But good stuff man.

Week Seven: 4 wins, 4 losses, + 89.1% profit

That's what I'm talkin' bout baby! These are the weekends I had in mind when I started this bloody thing, and I must say I was getting pretty damn disillusioned having success making the majority of the correct picks, but not making a worthwhile profit due to poor weighting of stakes on my part. Delighted the new doubles system worked this weekend, I really should have switched a few weeks earlier! Oh well, onwards and upwards. I'm bloody delighted - bring on next weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Well done Arch, feckin great! Went with Oakland +8 and packers win in singles myself. Great night for you, well done..

darsar wrote: »
    Well done Arch, feckin great! Went with Oakland +8 and packers win in singles myself. Great night for you, well done..

Talk about two different comfort levels! Oakland +8 was done and dusted by the end of the first quarter. Packers on the other hand, well, I bet there were nerves all over the place before Harvin's last minute TD was overturned!

Just one small bet for tonight's game.

1 pts - Ahmad Bradshaw under 84.5 rushing yards @ 5/6 (PaddyPower)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Arch the rush yards on betfair are 70.5. Best to leave it alone you think?

• Advertisement

Yeah that 15 yards difference is pretty big. Im not even super confident of the 84.5, hence I only made it a minimum bet, but I just wanted something to bet on tonight and that's all that really stood out. If it had been 70.5 on PaddyPower, I wouldn't have bet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Hi Arch, just looking for your opinion on the following bet, Hakeem Nicks under 70.5 receiving yards at 5/6. Basically my thinking is that he's been carrying an injury and hasn't practiced properly all week and will be up against a Cowboys passing defence ranked 3rd in the league

I was looking at that earlier. It's a tricky one alright. It's looking pretty likely that he'll play. Funny thing is, my biggest doubt is always a superstitious one. Big time player like Nicks carrying an injury into a nationally televised MNF game - I can just hear the commentators yelling now "Injury? What injury! Nicks has been on fire!". It always happens like that :o Hamstring injuries can be tricky, but I doubt the Giants would risk Nicks if they thought he wasn't over it.

Silly superstitious me aside, I wouldn't bet on it myself. The Cowboys do rank highly against the pass, but they give up a lot of yards per catch to receivers which always favours a deep threat like Nicks. The Cowboys have also had a lot of trouble with pass interference calls this year which won't have gone unnoticed, so there could be an extra motive for Eli Manning to pump some deep balls down the field, and Nicks will always be his target in that case. Manning is also getting some of the best protection he's seen from his o-line in the past few games, so he'll have plenty of time in the pocket.

Personaly, I wouldn't bet on it - I certainly wouldn't bet anything more than a small 1 point bet but I can see plenty of arguments as to why Nicks would be limited (Dallas defence, niggling injury etc.) so whatever feels right for you. There's one more thing I want to research, so I'll edit this post in a few minutes.

Edit: I just wanted to check how Dallas did against opponents number one receivers, and it was pretty inconclusive. Whereas they kept Andre Johnson and Randy Moss under 70, Johnson did have a sore ankle and Moss still hasn't completely settled in with Brett Favre. On the other hand, Kenny Britt (who I would liken to Nicks) and Santana Moss eclipsed the 70, although again they didn't have the slight injury concern Nicks has. I'd still ever so slightly lean towards Nicks going over 70, but that's just my view.

I wasn't even looking at this bet but for some reason i have this feeling that Nicks isn't gonna make the whole game. I was watching a show midweek where they were talking about Nicks shaking off this injury and making it 7 td's from 7. Another fella was saying he was gonna leave him in his fantasy team. I have him on one of my teams and never changed him out. So i just have this feeling i'll regret it as i was gonna bench him for Lee Evens who got 3 td's for the Bills this weekend. Just the other side of the superstitious coin.

He better feckin play, I have him on two fantasy football teams! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

If you were to call it, would you go for Dallas minus 3 or Giants plus 3? Thinking of placing a bet for interest! cheers

If I had to, I'd go with Dallas. Their form, the Giants' form and recent history between the 2 teams goes against that, but I just feel that Dallas needs to win this game or their season is practically over, and as a result have more motivation than the Giants. If they can cut out the silly errors, penalties and misjudgements, then I think they can win. But I wouldn't bet on it, and haven't either! :pac:

Was reading that the Cowboys had a team of referees in praciticing with them duing the week to help them overcome their penalty problems. If they have managed to become even a slight bit more disciplined i'd favor them. Just like the Chargers they've been killing themselves. To me this game is a coin flip. Very difficult to call. If Dallas cuts back on the penalties i think they can win by a td. If not i can see the Giants covering the spread. There's a lot of money on the overs and thanks to the new dangerous hits rules introduced by the NFL it may go over tonight. A lot of games had huge scores this weekend and i reckon the player fines and suspensions played a part.

Just put 1.5 pts on the Giants (-4) @ 10/11 with the news that Romo is out for the game.

• Advertisement

San Diego State (-24) @ New Mexico
    New Mexico State @ Idaho (-24)
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)
    Alabama (-16.5) @ Tennessee
    Notre Dame (-6) @ Navy
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)
    Washington Redskins @ Chicago Bears (-3.0)
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Atlanta Falcons (-3.0)
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)
    Deion Branch (NE) anytime
    Donald Driver (GB) anytime
    0.5 pts @ 22/3
    (PaddyPower)
    1 pts - Ahmad Bradshaw under 84.5 rushing yards @ 5/6 (PaddyPower)

Losses return 0 pts
    South Carolina (-12.5) @ Vanderbilt
    Duke @ Virginia Tech (-27)
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

Win returns 18 pts
    Pittsburgh Steelers @ Miami Dolphins (+3.0)
    St. Louis Rams (+3.0) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

Win returns 18 pts
    Oakland Raiders (+8.0) @ Denver Broncos
    Cleveland Browns (+13.0) @ New Orleans Saints
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (PaddyPower)

Win returns 18 pts
    Percy Harvin (MIN) anytime
    Mike Williams (SEA) anytime
    0.5 pts @ 9/1
    (PaddyPower)

Win returns 5 pts
    Just put 1.5 pts on the Giants (-4) @ 10/11 with the news that Romo is out for the game.

Win return 2.86 pts

Week Seven: 5 wins, 5 losses, + 84% profit

Advertisement