Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archie's NFL/NCAA Tips Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Oh, and I totalled up my bank from the original method I was using to keep track of my success/failure. Currently sitting on 148.97, which is a profit of 48.97. Nearly 30 of that came from this gameweek alone, which shows that a) the new system is much better, and b) I was stupid to keep using the old system for as long as I did :(

Oh well, that's how you learn I suppose. Onwards and upwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That's better returns then the stockmarket,
    We should put you in government offices to start working to clear the national debt ;)

Well done Archie

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Congrats on the great week archie, definitely going to follow you exactly next instead of mixing and matching.

Any interest in Boise state on the handicap tonight? I remember (last week i think) they covered the handicap of 50 odd. Dunno have you done a synopsis of louisiana tech team in this thread yet so will hold off placing the bet for awhile.

Sir Vival wrote: »
    Congrats on the great week archie, definitely going to follow you exactly next instead of mixing and matching.

Any interest in Boise state on the handicap tonight? I remember (last week i think) they covered the handicap of 50 odd. Dunno have you done a synopsis of louisiana tech team in this thread yet so will hold off placing the bet for awhile.

Just had a quick nap there and gonna take the dog for a walk mate, so I'll answer this when I get back. Truth is, I had no bloody idea Boise were playing tonight, and I do like betting on them as they cover a lot of spreads for me. I'll post once I return.

Sorry about the delay, the poor little guy needed some cheering up. Let's just say we had a traumatic experience today, involving a vet putting a thermometer where no man wants it go... :o

But anyway, yeah I do quite like Boise to cover tonight. It's a huge spread, but I fancy them for several reasons. First, they've been favoured by between 38 and 43 points in their last 3 games, and they've covered each time (a cumulative score of 164-14). Second, Boise have beaten Louisiana teach at home by more than 35 the last 4 times they've met on the blue turf. Third, Boise are fresh after the weekend off, and you better believe those guys will have missed playing football this week. Fourth, Boise still need to run up scores - everything is going in their favour since the Virginia Tech - James Madison incident - but there's no way Chris Peterson will allow them to take their foot off the gas and I fully expect them to go to the National Championship Game come New Years. Fifth, it's that hallowed blue turf. Boise just don't do mediocre at home - they've won 58 in a row at home, and although no one is doubting if they'll win tonight, they do love to put on a show for their fans. Sixth, Kellen Moore. 1567 yards, 16 touchdowns. 'Nuff said. Seventh, Boise are untouchable at the moment. They're the 4th highest scoring team in the country, they have the 2nd best statistical defence. They're passing for over 300 yards a game and rushing for over 220. And finally, in the 4 games Boise have faced against non ranked opposition this year, they've won by 45, 59, 43 and 48. Lousiana have done well to win 2 in a row - I think they'll be brought back down to earth with a bang tonight, and a shutout for Boise would not surprise me. I don't like big spreads, but how can I not like this one given all those reasons?

2 pts - Boise State (-37.5) @ 5/6(PaddyPower)

• Advertisement

It's showtime.

Very good stream here for anybody interested http://www.espa.tv/embed.php?channel=elm&width=780&height=560

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Slightly better one here Arch if you are still up and watching.

http://www.justin.tv/sportscasthq83#/w/498444624

That stupid missed field goal on the first drive of the night cost me my first half handicap.

Cheers man, I had a better one that I had to look for because the original one I posted went awfully jumpy, but then it went off air just before half time.

Unlucky with the missed FG. Had their starting kicker not been injured, you'd have beaten the handicap :(

Edit: Fantastic quality stream man, thanks a lot!

Not looking too good is it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

boise state defence is unreal...

• Advertisement

Good on the goal line alright, but wasn't too impressed with them outside of the red zone.

Looking very frustrating. 1.5 points off the spread and might not get the ball back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

Archimedes wrote: »
    Good on the goal line alright, but wasn't too impressed with them outside of the red zone.

Looking very frustrating. 1.5 points off the spread and might not get the ball back now.

no doesnt look good now..prob dont deserve it though..
    bookies seem to have the spread spot on...

That's it. God damn it that's annoying, but we'll make up for it at the weekend I guess :o

I'm hearing some very interesting news from a source of mine (a guy I know, but source sounds so much more exciting! :pac:) about the Florida State @ North Carolina State coming up on Thursday night. Waiting for proper confirmation, but apparently several big name cappers are all over this game with their bet of the month selections, and are all heading in the same direction. I'd be pretty confident it's Florida State @ -3.0 given the spread has gone up twice since, but I'll try confirm tomorrow. Could be one to keep an eye on.

I was reading on Monday that there was some game this week that the sharp money was favoring heavily. Can't remember the game but the fella was saying he'd post up the bet soon. Could've been the Flordia game.

I went to bed after the first half last night. Just had a feeling they'd let LA Tech put up some more points given the way they played in the first half. A little more solid on D and both first and game handicaps would have been in. Ah well.

Also look out for that channel on Justin.tv. I've used it a lot this year. They do quality HD streams for the college games and NFL.

I'm hearing some very interesting news from a source of mine (a guy I know, but source sounds so much more exciting! :pac:) about the Florida State @ North Carolina State coming up on Thursday night. Waiting for proper confirmation, but apparently several big name cappers are all over this game with their bet of the month selections, and are all heading in the same direction. I'd be pretty confident it's Florida State @ -3.0 given the spread has gone up twice since, but I'll try confirm tomorrow. Could be one to keep an eye on.

Gonna follow this up with 3 pts @ 10/13. I'll post more info later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Am on this aswell, not the best start!

Note to self: Do not bet on midweek games

Anywho, back to the new system that did well last weekend, and we have another monster weekend of college football ahead of us. In what ESPN have labelled Roadblock Weekend (every weekend seems to have a title these days), many of the top ranked teams face tricky games on the road. I've included 3 of these teams in my picks this week. You may notice that I've buried the hatchet with Bet365. Suffice to say, it only took one week of dealing with PaddyPower to realise that they are even bigger assholes, and their services on American Football are fairly limited. So lets begin.

Michigan (-3) @ Penn State
    Utah (-7) @ Air Force
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (Bet365)

Denard Robinson is healthy again, and after two straight losses, Michigan are going to get back on track over Penn State, the epitome of inconsistency. It's not Robinson's freakish athletic ability that sold me on this, but rather the manner of Penn State's victory over Minnesota last week. The Gophers are an awful team - their 1-7 record highlights as much - and Penn State barely overcame them. Heck, Minnesota even outgained Penn State. Robinson who eats yardage for breakfast should have a field day. Meanwhile, Utah continue go under the radar, well, as under the radar as the 8th ranked team in the country can be. They're covering spreads left, right and centre and it should be no different this weekend with what I think is a generous (to the punters) touchdown only spread. They're ranked 24th and 29th in passing and rushing yards respectively, and rank 3rd in both points for per game (48) and points against per game (13). Air Force's rushing game faces it's toughest test yet, and Utah know that's all they have to focus on as Tim Jefferson has been very poor under centre for Air Force - his completion rate is below 50% and has only thrown for 6 touchdowns through 8 games.

UTEP (+2.5) @ Marshall
    Stanford (-7) @ Washington
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (Bet365)

Stanford's only loss this season came against Oregon, so I won't hold that against them. They're still putting up over 40 points a game. This should have been about Andrew Luck vs Jake Locker, but Luck has outperformed his counterpart this year and has in many people's eyes stolen Locker's claim for number 1 QB draft pick next year. Luck will win this game for Stanford simply because Washington's defence is awful. They give up over 33 points a game, and Locker's regression means they're only putting up 24. As for UTEP, the only underdog I'm taking this week because I'm pretty much in shock that they are an underdog to begin with. UTEP have the better passing game, the better rushing game and the better defence. Sure, Marshall have home advantage, but that only helps when your team can give the crowd something to cheer about. Marshall's 1-6 record speaks for itself, UTEP should get the win here, never mind covering the +2.5 spread.

Florida vs Georgia (-2) (neutral venue)
    Auburn (-7) @ Ole Miss
    5 pts @ 13/5
    (Bet365)

I like the Georgia spread. It was -3 at the start of the week, and has fallen down a point now due to people getting carried away with Florida's record against them. These 2 teams could not be further apart form wise - Florida have lost 3 on the trot and look a shadow of the team that went the National Championship Game last year. Well, that's because they are. They miss their superstars now living it up in the NFL, and Meyer is struggling with life post-Tebow. Georgia on the other hand are pumped, winning their last 3 thanks to the returning AJ Green and all his brilliance. Not only is he putting up number (and more importantly, touchdowns) but he's opening up options all over the field for Georgia with the attention defences have to pay to him. I think Georgia should cover here, as they have pretty much a bye week against Idaho State next week, and they'll want momentum going into their clash with Auburn the following week. Speaking of Auburn, allow me to post a picture of Cam Newton.
    cam-newton-2-vs-ark-statejpg-bf84c7b51f27d62d_large.jpg
    It's strange, I never thought God would look like that. I figured he'd have long, flowing, silver hair and an impressive beard. But no, he wears pads and he violates defences week after week. Newton is the runaway favourite for the Heisman, and Auburn's final two weeks against Georgia and Alabama give him the perfect platform to seal the deal. I don't think Auburn are in as much danger as ESPN are making out. They have Roadblock Weekend to sell after all, but Ole Miss have lost to Jacksonville State and Vanderbilt this year, and their confidence looks shot. They face their third ranked opponent in a row in the shape of number 1 ranked Auburn, and they must be exhausted after going toe to toe with Alabama's running game and Ryan Mallet's passing game in succession. They only have the little matter of record breaking, 27 touchdown scoring Cam Newton to contend with this week. Auburn should cover. I fail to see how Ole Miss can have the same spread as LSU last week, regardless of where the game is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Am following your picks exactly this week, only with smallish stakes though as have a biggish bet on gaa/comprimised rules.

G'luck

Georgia are terrible. Gonna write that one off already, because they just can't stop turning over the ball.

• Advertisement

Stupid fúcking UTEP roughing the kicker. Fúcking retarded.

Auburn -7
    Standford -7
    5 pts @ 13/5

In play: Oregon (-12.5) 3 pts @ evens

Edit: Further 3 pts on Oregon (-5.5)

Looks like I'm in chase mode tomorrow. Terrible day today. Oh well, Ive done it before, hopefully tomorrow comes good too. These were all placed a couple of days ago anyway, never realised how much would be counting on them - didnt think today would go so bad.

Edit: Oregon pulled away in the end, so I'm down 1 point. Not as bad as I thought!

Buffalo Bills (+7.5) @ Kansas City Chiefs
    Jacksonville Jaguars (+6.5) @ Dallas Cowboys
    5 pts @ 13/5

Miami Dolphins (+2) @ Cincinnati Bengals
    Washington Redskins @ Detroit Lions (-2.5)
    5 pts @ 13/5

Green Bay Packers (+6) @ New York Jets
    Minnesota Vikings (+6) @ New England Patriots
    5 pts @ 13/5

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3.5) @ Arizona Cardinals
    Carolina Panthers (+3) @ St Louis Rams
    5 pts @ 13/5

Jaguars @ Cowboys - Over 43
    Packers @ Jets - Under 43
    5 pts @ 13/5

Panthers @ Rams - Over 37
    Vikings @ Patriots - Over 44
    5 pts @ 13/5

Mike Williams (TB) anytime TD
    Wes Welker (NE) anytime TD
    Jahvid Best (DET) anytime TD
    1 pts @ 11/2

Calvin Johnson Jr. (DET) anytime TD
    Mike Wallace (PIT) anytime TD
    Kenny Britt (TEN) anytime TD
    1 pts @ 13/2

Mike Williams (SEA) anytime TD
    Deion Branch (NE) anytime TD
    Braylon Edwards (NYJ) anytime TD
    1 pts @ 17/2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

For all you night owls, New Orleans Saints versus Pittsburgh Steelers live on Channel 4 at midnight tonight.

Well i'll be praying you have a great day. I seem to have lost a lot of interest in betting in the past week or so. Well more so in researching bets. So i'm just gonna follow all yours today and hope for a weekend like you had in the last one.

Technique wrote: »
    For all you night owls, New Orleans Saints versus Pittsburgh Steelers live on Channel 4 at midnight tonight.

Hell of a lineup today this weekend actually - if you can watch games online, you'll get to see Packers @ Jets, Vikings @ Patriots, Steelers @ Saints and Texans @ Colts. Thats one of the best lineups I can remember in a single weekend. So excited.
    Well i'll be praying you have a great day. I seem to have lost a lot of interest in betting in the past week or so. Well more so in researching bets. So i'm just gonna follow all yours today and hope for a weekend like you had in the last one.

Cheers man. Yeah I go through a lull sometimes too. Whenever I dont post a write up, you can tell I just couldn't be arsed! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Whenever I dont post a write up, you can tell I just couldn't be arsed! :o

There will be none of that when you come work for me:p

• Advertisement

There will be none of that when you come work for me:p

Sorry boss, wont happen again boss :pac:

Advertisement