Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA League Title Qualifiers

• 10-08-2010 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

A reminder for those of you who missed it last year -

To be eligible to win a League title, you have to be in the top 4 in your division after Round 3.

This means that the next Round on September 11th in St. Andrews College, Booterstown is especially important.
    In the vast majority of divisions, fighters at the top of the Division have only fought twice. A fighter competing at Dublin and winning both fights will put himself into contention for a division title - which he can then fight for in the Final Round in Dublin in November.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Are the Teen divisions running at the Dublin events?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Do you still face first timers if its your first fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Are the Teen divisions running at the Dublin events?

Teen divisions have run in every MMA League event since they were introduced and will continue to do so!

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Do you still face first timers if its your first fight?

Where possible, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Sorry, but knowing nothing about local/national MMA I've got a few questions,

Is the minor league U18s?
    Any link to the rules for the minor league and adult league?
    Can you just show up on the day and sign up or do you need to already have fought at a previous event?

• Advertisement

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Is the minor league U18s?

If by minor league you mean the MMA League then it is both U18s and senior.
    Any link to the rules for the minor league and adult league?
    Try the MMA League Website
    Can you just show up on the day and sign up or do you need to already have fought at a previous event?
    You do not have to have fought at a previous event, you do however need to register on-line ahead of competing at any event.

Last few..

For the U18 tournament..

Do I need to be part of a club to compete?

With the 'fighting area' I presume its not cordoned off by ropes like a boxing ring?
    suitable vest and shorts (tight fitting)
    Does that mean tight-fitting shorts or can you wear long shorts?

Kicking to the kidney with the heel is banned, does that mean no spinning back kicks?

Do I need a coach?

And finally, do I need anything else on the day apart from my gear, permission slip and 30 Euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Do I need a coach?
    Well if you want to train in a sport they are handy to have in fairness. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Do I need to be part of a club to compete?

Do I need a coach?
    If you don't have a club then you're not insured to compete. Only an insane parent would sign a permission slip for their child to compete in a combat sport in which they have neither a coach nor a club.

If you don't have a club then you're not insured to compete. Only an insane parent would sign a permission slip for their child to compete in a combat sport in which they have neither a coach nor a club.

Fair enough about the club, didnt really want to be fighting under it since I just joined, but if I need it to be insured, will do..

I meant do I need a coach to be present or can I bring a mentor instead?

• Advertisement

Fair enough about the club, didnt really want to be fighting under it since I just joined, but if I need it to be insured, will do..

I meant do I need a coach to be present or can I bring a mentor instead?

What club are you with?
    You must not attend the event fighting out of a club where the coach is unaware you are doing so, that is bad juju of the worst kind.

You must print out the permission slip signed by your parents and bring it along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

the teen permission slip needs to be updated for Dublin mark. the one i'm looking at is set up for galway. If it's just the address that's changed and all the rest is the same i can just edit that myself.

If you come in 1 pound over we say i am 205 and i came in 206 could i still fight in the LHW Categorie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

If you come in 1 pound over we say i am 205 and i came in 206 could i still fight in the LHW Categorie?

Its done in Kilos anyway,dont know the allowance though.

Its done in Kilos anyway,dont know the allowance though.
    Thanks!!!:D

the teen permission slip needs to be updated for Dublin mark. the one i'm looking at is set up for galway. If it's just the address that's changed and all the rest is the same i can just edit that myself.

Done, and cheers for reminding me.

Looking at the 'Leaderboards', the only weight classes in the teen category are;

55kg (121lbs)
    60kg (132lbs)
    65kg (143lbs)
    70kg (154lbs)
    80kg (176lbs)
    90kg (198lbs)

I could be wrong, but they're the only weights I can pick from on the website?

And apparently, if only 2 people enter the 90kg league, you could lose all your fights and still qualify for a shot at the title as there's only 2 entrants so far..

Looking at the 'Leaderboards', the only weight classes in the teen category are;

55kg (121lbs)
    60kg (132lbs)
    65kg (143lbs)
    70kg (154lbs)
    80kg (176lbs)
    90kg (198lbs)

I could be wrong, but they're the only weights I can pick from on the website?

And apparently, if only 2 people enter the 90kg league, you could lose all your fights and still qualify for a shot at the title as there's only 2 entrants so far..

I Dont think it would be possible for me to get to 90KG in 3 weeks,when i am 93.5 now

I Dont think it would be possible for me to get to 90KG in 3 weeks,when i am 93.5 now

Sure you can, just do as much as you can up to a week before the fight, then just take it easy, just not too easy ;)

If my seminar isn't on this day I'll probably enter (Probably won't have enough for my seminar anyways:() and if you don't make the weight and nobody else will fight you then I will :D

Edit: If that's ok with the organisers that is...

Not entirely correct - you have to be within 6 points of the League Leader to qualify for a finals match.

The weights you listed are the categories that have had previous teen matches this year. If there are two or more fighters in a different category in the Dublin event then there will be matches in that division.

ScareGilly, who do you train with, what weight are you at? Have you registered online? I'll let you know whether you will be in Daniel's category.

• Advertisement

Sure you can, just do as much as you can up to a week before the fight, then just take it easy, just not too easy ;)

If my seminar isn't on this day I'll probably enter (Probably won't have enough for my seminar anyways:() and if you don't make the weight and nobody else will fight you then I will :D

Edit: If that's ok with the organisers that is...

Only slight problem is im getting a small toe Op tomorrow thatll render me unable to train for a few days:mad:

Not entirely correct - you have to be within 6 points of the League Leader to qualify for a finals match.

The weights you listed are the categories that have had previous teen matches this year. If there are two or more fighters in a different category in the Dublin event then there will be matches in that division.

Suppose there goes my plan of taking it easy that day so I was underestimated going into the finals :rolleyes:
    ScareGilly, who do you train with, what weight are you at? Have you registered online? I'll let you know whether you will be in Daniel's category.

Impact Martial Arts.
    86ish kg
    Nope, was going to wait until I knew for certain I can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Only slight problem is im getting a small toe Op tomorrow thatll render me unable to train for a few days:mad:

does this toe operation hinder you from not being able to put cake in your mouth?

does this toe operation hinder you from not being able to put cake in your mouth?

WTF! Im just sayin i cant train 4 a few days , Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Only messin Daniel Son. I hope all goes well for you. You are an eager beaver it would be ironic if you did not get a match.

Only messin Daniel Son. I hope all goes well for you. You are an eager beaver it would be ironic if you did not get a match.

Again with the making fun of

Again with the making fun of

He wasn't slagging you that time Daniel, don't be too sensitive. Boards.ie is a cruel place for those with a thin skin!

Advertisement