Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Out & PRSI

Options
  • 10-08-2010 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I'm taking the plunge back to full-time education which means leaving my current employment. I am curious as to how this will affect my PRSI contributions etc... I have been working full-time since 2001 without a break in contributions. What happens when you take a year out of the work-place voluntarily to do something like return to college???

All info greatly appreciated! :) Thanks in advance,

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/social-insurance-prsi/credited-social-insurance-contributions
    Student credits

Student credits are only given once, and can cover periods in full-time education. To qualify you must have worked and paid PRSI Class A before starting your course. You must have started your course before you reached 23 years of age and before you have taken up full-time insurable employment. You apply for student credits at the time you are applying for a social insurance payment. You must supply written confirmation from the school or college stating that you were a student there, and the dates you attended. You may also have to show that you have started full-time employment. This can mean submitting your P60 or a letter from your employer.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement