Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just started running-Can I run the Dublin Marathon in October?

• 11-07-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hello everyone.
    I am new to long distance running and Im going to give the DCM a shot in October.
    I have a few concerns in relation to training.
    The main one is in relation to how often i need to train.
    I want to train as often as possible but on friday I pushed my distance a bit and while heart wise I was fine, I found my legs to be pretty tired yesterday and even today (a little). Should I be waiting until Im fully repaired in the legs before I head out again or should I be running through this?

I see most programs have a shorter run the day after a long run but i know a bit about muscle recovery as I have been lifting weights for years now. There is a difference in the type of fatigue my legs are feeling though. Its not so much musle tear, more like muscle tiredness. My instinct is telling me to rest until my legs feel good again.

Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What kind of distances have you run? Have you run any races?
    How long ago did you start running?
    What is a typical week's running for you? What did you run last week?
    You've been lifting weights, but were you doing any other cardiovascular exercise before you started running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Most of the programs I follow don't have a run the day after a long run, but sometimes I'll do one anyway, to aid recovery. If you run at a very easy pace it can help with the muscle pain, but try to run on a forgiving surface (like grass). What program are you following?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

woa lot of questions there Ray, but i see how its all relevant.

The longest Ive ran was 12 km on friday.
    No races (except sportaid when I was 10)
    Ive been running 5 weeks.

Typical (in the last few weeks) weeks running - 8km 4 times a week (44k last week).

Have been gym training for approx 10 years. 30 minutes cv before weights sessions.
    Im 33, 70kg 13% bodyfat roughly.

I realise everything needs to be upped in a major way. I only decided to go for this Thursday night and I know I have to push it.
    I went to elverys yesterday, got the protein shake, -tesco, got the friut, veg and carbs and meat.
    In other words I want to do it right and thats why Im posting here, for any advice I can get.

Krusty-
    I was looking at the Hal Higdon programe for novice and thought that could be a good one.

Also the one on the DCM site (3hr to 4.15 finish)
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/dublinmarathontraining.pdf
    Ill be joining into this at 5 weeks in , which is roughly where im at anyway.

Have you any suggestions?

What's your motivation for wanting to run a marathon? Do you have to run DCM this year? From a running base of almost nothing to a marathon in 18 weeks, is not typically a recommended route. Most runners would build a decent base first (running 10ks, 10 miles, half marathons etc) before taking on a marathon. I would advise you sign up for the Adidas race series, and see how you get on with those races before signing up for the marathon.

It can be done. It just may not be pretty, and the risk of injury is high. If you're struggling with the first few weeks of the HH plan, then you could really struggle later in the program.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I do it depending on feel. Sometimes a short run at a slow, easy pace the day after a long run can be beneficial in loosening out the legs. I'd usually run home from work(less than four miles) the day after a LSR then I have the rest of the evening to sit back afterwards. Although, I only do this if I don't feel physically tired. I don't think there's any benefit in doing a recovery run if you're absolutely shattered, for me it's really a case of letting my body decide whether I rest or run.

I would echo Krusty's sentiments on whether running the marathon this year is a good idea. Personally, for my first marathon I went into it with about 23 weeks training going from zero miles to 26 in less than 5 months. I wasn't really very 'fit' at the time having spent a few years out of sport with basketball injuries and then being too demoralised to get back into basketball, out of shape and unfit bar about 8 months of gym work and walking 4 miles a day for 6 or 7 months. I certainly wasn't 'fit' enough to throw myself into marathon training. While the way I did it is doable, it's the last thing I'd advise anyone to do. There are tonnes of marathons in Ireland now - why not build up slowly and go for one of the many Spring marathons? Connemara, Limerick or Kildare?

The training plans on the Dublin marathon website aren't very good, either IMO. I certainly wouldn't recommend following one for your first marathon unless you're already a high level/mileage runner.

Edit: I got injured 16 miles into my first marathon(bad tear of a quad muscle). Which was probably more down to lack of training than bad luck.

• Advertisement

As Krusty said, why this marathon, this year?

If you're determined to do it, you should start following a proper training plan as soon as possible. The ones on the DCM site don't look great, in that they build in blocks of 4 weeks which means big jumps in effort. The Higdon plan, for example, builds slowly week to week and includes step-back weeks. Following a plan will introduce some variety into your runs, rather than just 8k all the time. (And to answer your starting question, yes, it would involve running 2/3 days in a row)

You don't need to go out and buy protein powder, or a whole new diet, I presume you have muscles already. What you don't have is endurance, and that's something that you build up slowly.

I can see why the suggestion to take my time is there.
    Theres no rush in getting to marathon status before Ive gotten my body used these demands.
    But I wouldnt say Im struggling at all at this stage. Fitness isnt a problem, muscles seem fine, if a little tired. Its just this tiredness, i know will go. Its practically gone today.
    Im just back from a light jog there and feel good.
    My motivation is really due to it being something ive always wanted to do, along with a triathlon, now gaelforce west added in there and so on and so forth.
    I think Ill keep going with the HH training. Ill stop tellin everyone Im doing the DCM and see where Im at in another few weeks time.

grifter09 wrote: »
    I can see why the suggestion to take my time is there.
    Theres no rush in getting to marathon status before Ive gotten my body used these demands.
    But I wouldnt say Im struggling at all at this stage. Fitness isnt a problem, muscles seem fine, if a little tired. Its just this tiredness, i know will go. Its practically gone today.
    Im just back from a light jog there and feel good.
    My motivation is really due to it being something ive always wanted to do, along with a triathlon, now gaelforce west added in there and so on and so forth.
    I think Ill keep going with the HH training. Ill stop tellin everyone Im doing the DCM and see where Im at in another few weeks time.
    That's a good strategy. Keep going with the plan, with the option to back off if necessary. I Would still sign up for the Adidas race series though. You don't want your first race to be Dublin City Marathon. I think the 5 Mile is sold out, but the other two are still open for registration.

Thanks for that info Krusty and also Ray and Racoon.

I certainly will sign up for a few races in the meantime. If you guys saw where I do my training ye'd laugh at what a contrast it will be when I end up in Dublin City with 1000s of runners and onlookers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi all,

Need your help. took up running this year as a way of getting fit. Have completed 2 10K's & 2 5 milers during the time. Am signed up to do the Adidas series and have completed the 5 mile in approx 43 mins and currently at 8.5 miles in training for 10 mile on Sat week.

Myself and a friend are thinking about making a decision on the marathon after this run. If we were to increase our weekend run by 2 miles per week this would get us to the 20 mile mark about 3 weeks before the marathon.

Will this give us enough time or are we looking for too much? Would not be looking for a time in the marathon just completing it would be enough for me.

Your thoughts please.

mod<stickied on request. Link to 2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread, which uses the popular Hal Higdon Novice Program

• Advertisement

A typical marathon training program is 12-18 weeks long, and the reason for that duration is that it allows the runner to build up their endurance levels, so that they can complete a marathon comfortably and safely, reducing their risk of injury and reducing the risk that the runner will end up dropping out, or completing a long slow shuffle to the finish line.

The advisable route is to build up your distance races (10k, 10 mile, half marathon, more half marathons!) until the move to the marathon becomes a logical step, rather than a questionable leap.

Now, the above is generic advice that would be given to anyone considering a marathon 10 weeks or less before the date of the race. The answer is that some people will breeze through the next 10 weeks, and enjoy a wonderful marathon, hopefully moving on to complete more marathons (preferably with a full compliment of marathon training), while others will struggle, have a hellish experience, throw away their running shoes in anger, abandon the race at the mid-point, or worst case, limp off with an injury.

So the sage advice is: Sign up for a few half marathons, and consider a spring marathon early next year, on the back of a completed marathon training program.

Un-sage advice: some people have done it on less training, but many have struggled and abandoned their race, and abandoned their running, or worse, suffered injury.

Glass is half-full advice: Build a training program around a marathon training program (instead of simply adding two miles per week) and follow it. Your mileage is a little short of where you should be for a beginner's marathon program, so it may be a bit of a struggle (should be at 13-15 miles). The closing date for entry is the 4th October, so you can see how you get on with the training program and the half marathon, and make up your mind then. HalHigdon training program Play it cautiously if you decide to proceed. Don't announce publicly that you plan to complete the marathon this year, so you have options to back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

If your current long run is 8.5 miles and you a bit behind for what would normally be expected at this stage in a training plan.

Have a look at this Hal Higdon Novice 1 programme http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices.html

If you think you could step into week 8 from now then its possible.

I'm qualifying my comments though in that I am only training for my first marathon myself.

Someone else asked this on the novices thread yesterday...

I put some numbers into a schedule, just to see what it looked like. To get your taper in, a 20 mile LSR, stepback weeks (you shouldn't increase every week), and to avoid increasing your LSR distance too much each week, you'd have to do something like this -

week 1: LSR 11 miles 2: 13 3: 15 4: 12 5: 16
    6: 18 7: 14 8: 20 9: 12 11: 8 11: marathon

(Plus running about the same distance in midweek)

You probably could do it, but the later you start your training the higher your risk of injury before the marathon or blowing up on the day.

Why not train properly for a spring marathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

It's that time of year, and the "Should/can/could I run the Dublin Marathon" threads are going to become more common. We should be creating a sticky for this, and KC's post would be a good starting point in it.

We can add links to Hal Higdon plans, the DCM novices thread etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Good idea on the sticky.

I'm in the 'Should I?' camp for the DCM.

I did it last year and was happy just to get around it in 4 hours 7mins or so.

But I have no appetite to run for such a long period again. Next time I do a marathon, I want to do in 3.30 or less. I'm running faster and stronger this year but I haven't done any marathon specific training.

I did a ten miler and a half marathon hill running race in the past month which indicates that a 3.30 is on. However, I've Gaelforce and Roar between now and Oct and I haven't done any marathon specific training so far and probably won't be able to till the first week in September.

Would it be possible/advisable to jump into a marathon training prgoramme at the 8 weeks to go stage? I was thinking of possibly trying the LSR of that week and see how I get on.

I'm running regularly and cross training so I've a decent base to start from.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Good idea on the sticky.

I'm in the 'Should I?' camp for the DCM.

I did it last year and was happy just to get around it in 4 hours 7mins or so.

But I have no appetite to run for such a long period again. Next time I do a marathon, I want to do in 3.30 or less. I'm running faster and stronger this year but I haven't done any marathon specific training.

I did a ten miler and a half marathon hill running race in the past month which indicates that a 3.30 is on. However, I've Gaelforce and Roar between now and Oct and I haven't done any marathon specific training so far and probably won't be able to till the first week in September.

Would it be possible/advisable to jump into a marathon training prgoramme at the 8 weeks to go stage? I was thinking of possibly trying the LSR of that week and see how I get on.

I'm running regularly and cross training so I've a decent base to start from.
    The problems you will face nerraw1111, are obviously going to be completely different. You obviously have good mileage and base in your legs. What you're missing (all guesswork here of course!) is the long runs. If you were expecting to move from a 4:07 to a sub 3:30, then you'd want to know that you have built up a decent endurance base. Otherwise you might find that your recent form will take you very comfortably to 15 miles, and you could start to wilt after that. With someone with a decent running base , you'd want to be getting at least a couple of 20 mile runs under the belt and some longer PMP runs, so you know you can maintain the sub 3:30 pace for the duration. Leaving that to the final couple of weeks is a huge undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

11 weeks of training left, let's say a 2 week taper, so 9 weeks of real effort, put a step back week in the middle of that and your left with 8 real weeks.

The longest I've done in a while is a 5 mile run but I'm thinking fcek it 8 weeks of real training plus 3 weeks of light running should be enough to see me finish. I know I can't possibly PB on such a light training base but for this year just finishing in and around 4 hours would be an achievement for me.

Going to put a little plan together now, I'll pop it up later and maybe with the help of krusty, peckham and others we can find a suitable 11 week program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Woddle wrote: »
    11 weeks of training left, let's say a 2 week taper, so 9 weeks of real effort, put a step back week in the middle of that and your left with 8 real weeks.

The longest I've done in a while is a 5 mile run but I'm thinking fcek it 8 weeks of real training plus 3 weeks of light running should be enough to see me finish. I know I can't possibly PB on such a light training base but for this year just finishing in and around 4 hours would be an achievement for me.

<incentive>A frothy pint on 25th Oct bets you don't make it past 20 miles;) </incentive>

<incentive>A frothy pint on 25th Oct bets you don't make it past 20 miles;) </incentive>
    Can I get me some of that action too? :)

Can I get me some of that action too? :)

Sure! I'm buying pints for every Boardie who finishes! Sorry, mods only!:D

• Advertisement

I'll take that deal :D

Right here's the plan I'm hoping to do, maybe we can get a few of the more experienced heads to have a look and alter it as they see fit. I also think that if there's any hint of an injury you should reconsider doing the DM as time out running is priceless at this stage.

Program based on running 5 days a week and the mileage peaking at 45 so not too bad.

get a few of the more experienced heads to have a look

i'm so very, very far from an experienced head, but what weekly mileage are you doing now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The problems you will face nerraw1111, are obviously going to be completely different. You obviously have good mileage and base in your legs. What you're missing (all guesswork here of course!) is the long runs. If you were expecting to move from a 4:07 to a sub 3:30, then you'd want to know that you have built up a decent endurance base. Otherwise you might find that your recent form will take you very comfortably to 15 miles, and you could start to wilt after that. With someone with a decent running base , you'd want to be getting at least a couple of 20 mile runs under the belt and some longer PMP runs, so you know you can maintain the sub 3:30 pace for the duration. Leaving that to the final couple of weeks is a huge undertaking.

Cheers for that Krusty.

I might try an 18/20 mile run at the end of the month and then assess the situation. My race pace for 10 mile is 4.40 per km or so. Reasonbly confident I could run 18 miles at 4.59km pace at the moment.

Of course, putting that into practice is something different entirely regardless of McMillan/my own daydreams. Fully aware that it doesn't always work out like that.

I think that's a good program Woddle. The only thing I'd query is the lack of Marathon Paced runs (besides the Half race). Might be an idea to include some MP runs at the end of your Wed runs? Maybe alternate intervals one week with a "first-half-easy-pace, second-half-MP" run the next? I realise time is condensed though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Right here's the plan I'm hoping to do, maybe we can get a few of the more experienced heads to have a look and alter it as they see fit. I also think that if there's any hint of an injury you should reconsider doing the DM as time out running is priceless at this stage.

Program based on running 5 days a week and the mileage peaking at 45 so not too bad.

Do you not have a tri on also in September? All depends on how your going at the moment but the only think i'd worry about would be the 4:1 with hard weeks to easy week, i'd prob going with 3:1. Don't worry about pace at all and you'll be fine.. what number marathon is this now?

@ Woddle

I think you need to step-up the midweek medium long run a bit. I’d aim to get it up to 12 miles, and drop the interval/strides stuff.

The infamous tergat gave me the following suggestions for my midweek medium-long run when I was struggling in preparing for London. They gave me huge confidence and might be worth you considering it.

5 weeks out: 12 miles with 4*2 miles @ Marathon pace included in it.

4 weeks out: 12 miles with 4*2 miles @ Marathon pace included in it.

3 weeks out: warm up 1-2 miles, run 4,3,2,1 mile at Marathon Pace (be realistic), rest 2-3 minutes between each, warm-down 1-2 miles

2 weeks out: warm up 1-2 miles, run 5-6 x 1 mile at Lactate Threshold Pace, jog 1-2 minutes between each, warm-down 1-2 miles

Race week: warm up 1-2 miles, run 2 x 1 mile at 10k pace, jog 2 minutes between, 1-2 miles warm down

shels4ever wrote: »
    Do you not have a tri on also in September? All depends on how your going at the moment but the only think i'd worry about would be the 4:1 with hard weeks to easy week, i'd prob going with 3:1. Don't worry about pace at all and you'll be fine.. what number marathon is this now?

I do indeed have a tri in Sept :D , that's what the Tue and Fri are for :D
    and this will be number 7.

@ peckham that tergat stuff sounds excellent.

@ raycun my current mieage is pants, I covered about 15 miles only last week but I do believe I still have some kind of a base to work off, I think if the plan is to work though I shouldn't be afraid to take a day off if needed especially cause I'm coming from low mileage.

Keep the suggestions coming and I'll stick up another draft tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Does that include non-A/R/T mods? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I presume this extends to non-A/R/T mods too in order to encourage marathon running in other parts of Boards?! :rolleyes: I'm sure rainbow kirby will be along with her drink order soon too ;)

Woddle, very interested to see how this experiment goes - rather you than me!

EDIT: RK got in while I was typing this and chatting to my flatmate...

• Advertisement

Does that include non-A/R/T mods? :pac:
    xebec wrote: »
    I presume this extends to non-A/R/T mods too in order to encourage marathon running in other parts of Boards?! :rolleyes: I'm sure rainbow kirby will be along with her drink order soon too ;)

Ok, you got me:D. Let's make it interesting... it includes all mods who get in under 4 hours (Woddle's target)... and get to the pub (tbd) before my money runs out...

it includes all mods who get in under 4 hours (Woddle's target)...
    That's me ****ed then. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now a real incentive to beat Woddle. :D

Just finished what I think was my longest run since Kildare Half, and todays run was only 12, so my mileage is way down on what it should be. I think I may join the Clown pacing group this time round to see if I can just bank a slightly more decent time and not blow up or break anything in the process for a change.

Ok, you got me:D. Let's make it interesting... it includes all mods who get in under 4 hours (Woddle's target)... and get to the pub (tbd) before my money runs out...

(Peckham goes hunting for a forum that needs modding)

Peckham wrote: »
    (Peckham goes hunting for a forum that needs modding)

How about an "On Topic" forum? ;)

That's enough talk about my largesse, lets get back to the question at hand. I certainly think 10 or 11 weeks, while not ideal, is sufficient for a newish runner who wants to knuckle down. The HH program (and Woddle's plan) look good- best of luck to the OP (and others) who want to try it out. Finishing your first marathon is life-changing- go for it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

This is directed to the new runners, not to experienced guys like Woddle.

Probably wasting my time because despite how much we seek it runners don't usually take advice, we are kings of denial and like making our own mistakes. The answer is "no". You shouldn't rush into any marathon, especially not your first.

A lot of us have been there. You take up running in e.g. June you and get to thinking "crikey.. I've never been this fit. I might actually be able to do a marathon in october! wow -who'da thunk it! Me! A MARATHON runner! Who's a nerd now eh? Have to sign up - I might never again be this fit".

Running a marathon (and ramping up to marathon training mileage) from non-runner background over a few months can really mess you up. I've seen lads get mystery tiredness illnesses, chronic itb, chronic achilles injury, etc after doing it.

It's not your one and only chance. You develop into a runner over a period of about 2-4 years, not 2-4 months. You might think you're fit but you're not, you're nowhere near your potential. Spend 2 years regularly running 5ks, 8ks, 10ks and the odd half and build a strong base - and then start an 18 week program for a marathon.

This is the advice I got when I started running - good advice that I promptly ignored when I did my first marathon a few weeks later.

Either way good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do as we say, not as we do.

No expert, but given that speed isn't an important factor, but endurance always is (in a marathon) would you consider tweaking the program to give you longer runs and less speed-work? Also, do you really need a step-back week the week before the half marathon? Wouldn't you be better off using the half marathon week as a step-back week, with a long run either side? e.g.:

*Edit* Just read the bit about the tri's. Maybe your existing plan/mileage fits better with the planned tris. If that's the case, the plan is probably as good as it's going to get (with Peckham's feedback above taken into account).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭runsalot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭runsalot

runsalot wrote: »

Sorry lads,you need to be logged into facebook to see the video.Its 6 minutes of highlights of the 1980 (inagural) DCM.
    Dick Hooper looks cool out in the stripey shorts.
    Cusack with Kentucky Fried Chicken on his singlet.
    Hard as nails they were!!

1999, 2001, 2002, 2007 up there now. All seem to have music rather than commentary tracks though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

How about an "On Topic" forum? ;)

That's enough talk about my largesse, lets get back to the question at hand. I certainly think 10 or 11 weeks, while not ideal, is sufficient for a newish runner who wants to knuckle down. The HH program (and Woddle's plan) look good- best of luck to the OP (and others) who want to try it out. Finishing your first marathon is life-changing- go for it!:)
    Good thread...I have 100miles done early in the year ranging from 4-9mile stints.
    After 2mth of 'hols' back on the HH for the final 11weeks..pace is way down over the 10mile this w/e.
    Still comfortable after it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

Jaysus! Yis are great lads for gettin' around a question and applying it to your own need!!!!!!!!!!!:D Ninanyways. My problem is: just back from the Physio with ITB and 3 weeks off any serious running. Was up to 14 miles LSR and have done 2 PB's of 10K @ 45 mins and Half M'thon @ 1.41 (Achill = Hills) this year. So question is should I still aim for DCM 10 or forget it and reschedule for early spring marathon.

<Mod note> Be careful, dangerously close to medical advice. <Mod note>

calistro wrote: »
    Jaysus! Yis are great lads for gettin' around a question and applying it to your own need!!!!!!!!!!!:D Ninanyways. My problem is: just back from the Physio with ITB and 3 weeks off any serious running. Was up to 14 miles LSR and have done 2 PB's of 10K @ 45 mins and Half M'thon @ 1.41 (Achill = Hills) this year. So question is should I still aim for DCM 10 or forget it and reschedule for early spring marathon.
    My 2c: Reschedule. 3 weeks off now will take you up to mid-September, at which stage you're supposed be doing 18-20 mile LSRs on most training programs. It's too much to expect to come back from injury, jump up in terms of LSR distance, and then taper before DCM.

My 2c: Reschedule. 3 weeks off now will take you up to mid-September, at which stage you're supposed be doing 18-20 mile LSRs on most training programs. It's too much to expect to come back from injury, jump up in terms of LSR distance, and then taper before DCM.

Nice one Rainbow. Honest answer to an honest question. Will probably reshedule. Breaks my heart though after all the training but as the Ma says "what's for ya won't pass ya". Cheers:)

calistro wrote: »
    Nice one Rainbow. Honest answer to an honest question. Will probably reshedule. Breaks my heart though after all the training but as the Ma says "what's for ya won't pass ya". Cheers:)

You can still make use of your training, what you've already done will stand to you! Ease yourself back into it after the injury, go for some shorter-distance PBs, and training for a spring marathon (depending on what you choose) will begin in earnest in late November or early December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 morse3

Yes of course just mix it with some cycling, at a slower time leg strenght, the crowd and regular eating should get you round it good luck:)

Holy Jaysus!!!!!!!!!!!! Rainbow Kirby = 13,284 post. Morse 3 = 3 posts = decisions, decisions????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭St_Crispin

Ok, before we get started, I know that there's going to be loads of NO!'s :)

I'm thinking of doing the dublin marathon. I'm not incredibly fit. I do a lot of walking. Some cycling. My diet isn't great. I don't run. And it's only 9 weeks till the marathon.

I'm not expecting to finish this in any kind of decent time. I've walked the distance many times. But I'd like to be able to do more than a brisk walk and shave a couple/few hours off my time.

I'm going to start my training tonight with a short run followed by a walk, followed by a run (Start off easy). And I'm going to wait a few weeks before registering just to make sure I have some idea if it's possible.

What I'm really wondering is if anyone could direct me to any sites that would help. Or provide any tips yourself. Nearly every site I look at say it isn't possible. But they all make the assum,ption that you're running the whole thing and want to finish in less than 5 hours. I'd settle for 8 and be delighted with 6.5 - 7.

Any ideas?

If you've walked the distance many times, then you'll be able to complete it walking. But if you're alternating walking and running, you'd be using different muscles, putting more stress on your joints, and using up your energy stores much faster. It is really, really late to start that kind of programme. You run the risk of injuring yourself, and being unable to finish.

Is there any reason why you couldn't wait until next year, and train properly, giving yourself enough time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I really cannot understand why anyone would want to be out there for 7 hours, walking a marathon. It would be so much better to wait for next year, start training several months in advance and do it properly.

What's the point of walking, or mostly walking, a marathon on little or no training? We already know that it's possible, and that it is no athletic achievement whatsoever. So again, why would you want to do it that way?

• Advertisement
Advertisement