Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just started running-Can I run the Dublin Marathon in October?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Krusty - would you suggest 16/Half/18/20 for the next four weeks?

I missed my LSR last week and did 15 miles the week before that.

15 is the furthest i've got so far, maybe 17 this week?
    Hi BrophyA, without knowing your background, it's very difficult to prescribe a training program (and I am the opposite end of the spectrum to a coach), but if this is your first marathon, and the above long runs correspond to the weekends you have remaining before the taper and you're doing the half marathon (that's a lot of if's!) then yes, 16, half, 18 and then 19 or 20 is probably your best bet before the three week taper.

Remember the old idioms:
    It's better to be under-trained then over-trained
    If you don't make the start line, then you definitely won't make the finish line
    Keep those LSRs slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Hi All,
    Another question, DCM virgin,
    Just ran Dingle 1/2 in 1.49, felt quite easy to be honest, over the next 3 weeks I have 2 20Mile LSR's schedules, have completed one already which was very hilly and very hard, ( will do next one on the flat )
    I have signed up to do the Cork to Cobh run 3 weeks out from the DCM, should I run this at PMP ( 9 M/M ) or try for as fast a time as I can ~ 8 to 8.15 M/M.
    Thanks for all your help and information, Boards is getting me thru the training,

Regards gary

Cindyss wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just ran Dingle 1/2 in 1.49, felt quite easy to be honest, over the next 3 weeks I have 2 20Mile LSR's schedules, have completed one already which was very hilly and very hard, ( will do next one on the flat )
    I have signed up to do the Cork to Cobh run 3 weeks out from the DCM, should I run this at PMP ( 9 M/M ) or try for as fast a time as I can ~ 8 to 8.15 M/M.
    Thanks for all your help and information, Boards is getting me thru the training,

Regards gary
    Three weeks out from your target marathon is usually the opportunity when you run your last long run, before beginning your taper.
    How long is Cork to Cobh?
    When are you doing your last long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DoraExplora

Hi ,

Just after checking out that Higdon plan and at the risk of sounding stupid...what does 'cross' mean on sundays? is it any kind of cross training you want? And what do the numbers mean on Saturdays?? are they miles too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hi ,
    Just after checking out that Higdon plan and at the risk of sounding stupid...what does 'cross' mean on sundays? is it any kind of cross training you want? And what do the numbers mean on Saturdays?? are they miles too?

yes and yes.

Any sort of cross-training, but things that take the weight off your legs are better, like swimming or cycling.
    And they are miles on Saturdays, the long slow runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Hi All,

Regards gary

Some discussion on this point already over on the Cork to Cobh thread.

Krusty - C2C is 15 miles on a flat course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have signed up to do the Cork to Cobh run 3 weeks out from the DCM, should I run this at PMP ( 9 M/M )

Depends on the training plan you are following. P&D for exapmle recommend you running a race that weekend (albeit a much shorter one).

I was thinking of doing this race at PMP. I think doing 15 mile PMP comfortably 3 weeks out from the big day would be a great confidence booster. Why don't you try it as a 'dress rehersal'. i.e. caryy the same gels you intend to for DCM, same nutrition plan wear same gear etc.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Depends on the training plan you are following. P&D for exapmle recommend you running a race that weekend (albeit a much shorter one).
    It better be two weeks out, as I'm lining up tomorrow for a 10k!

It better be two weeks out, as I'm lining up tomorrow for a 10k!

:o sorry, you're right. Still though the point stands. I think running 15 PMP 3 weeks before the marathon would be a very worthwhile workout.

Thanks for the advice lads, I think I will take it nice and handy and try to get a consistant pace going for the 15 miles rather than belt out and wreck myself ahead of Dublin, The only issue might be is if I get ahead of myself a try to go for a faster time,

Thanks again Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Hi ,

Explaination of the terms here (and by Krusty above!)
    http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

I was thinking of doing this race at PMP. I think doing 15 mile PMP comfortably 3 weeks out from the big day would be a great confidence booster. Why don't you try it as a 'dress rehersal'. i.e. caryy the same gels you intend to for DCM, same nutrition plan wear same gear etc.
    For the experienced ones...at what stages do people take gels (no whatever works for you soundbites:rolleyes:)!

xebec wrote: »
    Some discussion on this point already over on the Cork to Cobh thread.

Krusty - C2C is 15 miles on a flat course...

Krusty, for hose on Hal Higidon this is the 20mile w/e that the C2C is on. What ya reckon re: worth doing to practice routine, is 5mile a real difference. Assume pace should be same for LSRs.

jaytobe wrote: »
    For the experienced ones...at what stages do people take gels (no whatever works for you soundbites:rolleyes:)!

For me generally for anything over 15 miles I'll carry a few gels. Even if you don't 'need them' it is good to practise takign them as come the big day you will run out of energy around 20 miles if you have not taken some calories on board earlier in the race.

Krusty, for hose on Hal Higidon this is the 20mile w/e that the C2C is on. What ya reckon re: worth doing to practice routine, is 5mile a real difference. Assume pace should be same for LSRs.

I would say if it is the only 20 in your plan, it would be more important to get the 20 miler done.
    You could maybe swap weeks around- do the 20 the week before and run C2C the next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I want to do the Dublin Marathon in October(first time), which gives me 6 weeks or probably 5 weeks with only a few smaller runs on the last week. I do some triathlons and I am in good shape(run about 17.30min for 5k and 38min for 10k). but I only run maybe once or twice a week maybe 5-8 miles. The most I had ran up until today was 9 miles. So today I ran 13.5 miles in 1hr 47min. I felt grand with the pace and I probably could have went to 18 miles.(legs are fine tonight)

As I have very little time left. I need a training schedule for the next few weeks, any ideas on how many miles I should run a week etc?

Thanks

lamai wrote: »
    I want to do the Dublin Marathon in October(first time), which gives me 6 weeks or probably 5 weeks with only a few smaller runs on the last week. I do some triathlons and I am in good shape(run about 17.30min for 5k and 38min for 10k). but I only run maybe once or twice a week maybe 5-8 miles. The most I had ran up until today was 9 miles. So today I ran 13.5 miles in 1hr 47min. I felt grand with the pace and I probably could have went to 18 miles.(legs are fine tonight)

As I have very little time left. I need a training schedule for the next few weeks, any ideas on how many miles I should run a week etc?

Thanks
    Personally I wouldn't recommend it, as you are potentially putting yourself at a high risk of injury (with 6 weeks to go, beginner programs would be up around the 18 mile mark). It's not about what you could have done, but instead what you actually have done. You need to build that strength and endurance in your legs, not only so you can complete the race, but also run for 3+ hours without causing injury.

But if you must persist, you need to get the mileage into the legs, while trying to keep the weekly increase in mileage quite steady. You already have solid speed, so I'd concentrate on getting time on the feet. Run your long runs very easy, and build up the time on your feet. I'm not going to suggest a plan, as I don't believe there is a sensible approach that will get you from 9 miles (yes I know you've done a 13 mile run) to 26 miles in 6 weeks. Just gradually build up the weekend long run until you're up to 18-20 miles, and don't forget to taper for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LouiseMcNa

My friend ran it with no training and reckoned it was a massive mental hurdle and from that point of view he said it was amazing. Think he intially signed up to lose weight and train and did neither so said his punishment was running it. Took him 5 hours or more, did a lot of walk run walk. In fairness he had some training and did some circuit stuff which he said helped more than the road running so try that. Personally I would not do it without training for at least 3 to 4 months before.
    Best of luck with it.

LouiseMcNa wrote: »
    In fairness he had some training and did some circuit stuff which he said helped more than the road running so try that.
    Fair play to your friend for overcoming his absence of training and complete the distance anyway. Circuit training is certainly better than no training at all, but the only way to train for a marathon is to rack up miles on the road.

I hope he went back afterwards and trained properly, and gave it another bash?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I did harbour ambitions of doing the DCM this year. Decent base, being running all year with half marathons and ten milers in there.

For me, once I was asking myself 'can I do it if...' you already know the answer. Did it last year, great experience but I pretty much wrecked myself for 4 months afterwards. So be warned. DCM is always there.

I'm thinking about doing one of the spring marathons instead. Best of luck to those having a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I completed the DCM in 2007 using the Hal Higdon novice training plan (I'm sure it's on the thread already). I went from not being able to run 200metres to finishing the marathon in 16 weeks (I missed the first two weeks training) and although it was an amazing experience and I rigidly ran every single mile in the training schedule I would not recommend anyone doing the marathon without properly preparing.

3 years and about 6 physios later I still wake up at night with pains down the right hand side of my right leg (muscular pains) from not taking proper care of myself whilst training.

If any physios reading this know what the pains might be please give me a shout!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I went from not being able to run 200metres to finishing the marathon in 16 weeks

Jeez, what pace was that at? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

He obviously had a poor nutrition strategy.

sorry, sorry

3 years and about 6 physios later I still wake up at night with pains down the right hand side of my right leg (muscular pains) from not taking proper care of myself whilst training.
    It just seems like such a natural challenge because it has become so mainstream. 'Sure isn't everybody running a marathon these days.'. The truth is that the marathon is a challenge best attempted once one has years of 10ks, half marathons and other distance races completed beforehand, with many thousands of miles in the legs. Sure, you can fast-track your way to the marathon but the risk of injury and failure increases dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spunderbungle

Right lads, need some honest advice.

Quick history - started running around October 2008 having never lifted a finger and being very overweight. Lost the bulk of 8 stone through running and circuits and ran my first 5k race in 2009 - the St Pats day run through Dublin. Caught the bug for running and even after I'd lost the weight, kept it up.

Decided as a nice climax to all the weight loss that I would aim to run four marathons in a year. That'd mean going from 20 stone in October 2008, to running four marathons in the year Oct 2009 to Oct 2010 :cool:. Not too fussed about the time, just if I could finish them all I'd be delighted. Going well so far, ran Dublin last year (4:10 :)), London in April (4:11 :mad: - but with a stomach bug), Tromso in June (3:52 :D) and booked in for Venice October 25th. (If you don't know Tromso, you should check it out - it's right at the top of Norway where there's 24 hour sunshine and the race is at midnight. Conditions are horrendous too - biting winds and lashing rain - it's awesome!).

So after Tromso in June I've had some problems with shin splints :(. Had to basically knock the running on the head for 6 weeks or so over July/August. Managed to get back running (slow) for two weeks before the Dublin half last weekend. Decided to shoot the lights by my own standards out on the first few miles (I know, I know :o), then ran into problems around mile 6 with the shins. Was fairly knackered too. Slowed down, but the shins got worse. Ended up walking a bit in the last mile - partially the shins and partially cause I was knackered. Finished in 1:52 - which is perfectly respectable (PB is 1:43, so not terrible), but in significant pain :mad:

So now I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to finish this marathon in Venice :confused:. Went for a 6 miler this morning, very slow, and the shins were at me a good bit from about mile 4 onwards. If I rest much more at this stage, I'm worried about having the fitness to get over the line in October. Not fussed about a time in Venice - have accepted that it's not gonna be a PB.

Long read, I know - thanks for reading and appreciate any thoughts :)

• Advertisement

I'd go to a physio. Lots of new runners report shin pain because their legs aren't used to it, but you're not a new runner. Best to find out what the problem is, and then decide about your race.

RayCun wrote: »
    I'd go to a physio. Lots of new runners report shin pain because their legs aren't used to it, but you're not a new runner. Best to find out what the problem is, and then decide about your race.
    Shin pain affects those who are not new to running too (worn out shoes, ill-fitting shoes, over-training, hard surfaces, etc).. As per Ray's suggestion, get yourself booked into the Physio as soon as possible. In the meantime, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.....

Shin pain affects those who are not new to running too (worn out shoes, ill-fitting shoes, over-training, hard surfaces, etc).. As per Ray's suggestion, get yourself booked into the Physio as soon as possible. In the meantime, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.....

Sorry, should have said - I'm seeing a physio weekly. She reckons I'll be just about ok - the more rest I get, the better the recovery, but the less fit I'll be on the day.

Here's the decision...have the 20 miler on for the Cork to Cobh week-end in training for first DCM. Do I switch the 20mile to this week-end and run C2C at PMP? ...thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Sorry, should have said - I'm seeing a physio weekly. She reckons I'll be just about ok - the more rest I get, the better the recovery, but the less fit I'll be on the day.

Try massaging the front of your legs yourself... softening up the small bit of muscle on the front of your shin may help.

• Advertisement

Here's the decision...have the 20 miler on for the Cork to Cobh week-end in training for first DCM. Do I switch the 20mile to this week-end and run C2C at PMP? ...thoughts?

I'm going to C2C that weekend too, plan is to run faster than PMP but not a huge amount. Depending on recovery from that race I'll probably go for 20 the week after to give a two week taper, but I generally recover well from long runs so that shouldn't be a problem.

Other side of my plan is that after tomorrow (touch wood) I'll have two 20's, a 19 and an 18 done already so the bulk of the work is done and I know that if I don't do that final 20 there shouldn't be too much of an issue...

Just another query on LSR/Taper, I am doing a 22 mile LSR this Sunday,
    Followed by 15 mile PMP C2C on the 3rd of Oct.
    That gives me 3 weeks to the DCM, I am following Hal Hidgon Inter 1.
    He has 4 weeks out a 20 mile followed by a taper, But I am doing C2C 4 weeks out 15 miles not 20,
    Should I run my LSR (supposed to be 12 miles) 3 weeks out a small bit longer or just follow my taper,
    Hope you follow this ok, as a novice it is a bit daunting to see your milage go down instead of up close to the race day,
    Thanks,

Gary

Cindyss...both HH Novice programs start the taper from 3wks out i.e. Oct 3rd w/e. It must work for first timers at least (which I am)....my dilema is whether to switch 20mile to this w/e and run C2C for prep.

Xebec, unfortunately I've never ran 20miles so slightly different..feeling good after 2x18s to date so have no issue with a 20mile this w/e and another 2 weeks out??

Xebec, unfortunately I've never ran 20miles so slightly different..feeling good after 2x18s to date so have no issue with a 20mile this w/e and another 2 weeks out??

Ok, understand better now. I'd go 20 this weekend so, then C2C at PMP or close to it which is worth at least 17-18 miles at LSR pace followed by Hal's taper. Don't worry about trying to get another 20 miles in before Dublin, your base level of fitness is there and C2C will be a good workout for three weeks out.

Tks xebec, will aim for that.

I've put my PB over 10miles into Mcmillan to get my PMP....how real is that calculator..especially for a novice where PBs can be a memory!

Tks xebec, will aim for that.

I've put my PB over 10miles into Mcmillan to get my PMP....how real is that calculator..especially for a novice where PBs can be a memory!

McMillan is a reasonable guide as to what you should be capable of. It's most accurate when you use a recent race time and the race is as close to target race distance as possible... But it's only an indicator - if I stick the 10 mile time from the Frank Duffy race 5 weeks ago into it it suggests a half marathon time which is 3.5 mins slower than what I did last week...

Any cheap wristwatches out there for those waiting to see if they really need a Garmin!?

Right lads, need some honest advice.

Quick history - started running around October 2008 having never lifted a finger and being very overweight. Lost the bulk of 8 stone through running and circuits and ran my first 5k race in 2009 - the St Pats day run through Dublin. Caught the bug for running and even after I'd lost the weight, kept it up.

Decided as a nice climax to all the weight loss that I would aim to run four marathons in a year. That'd mean going from 20 stone in October 2008, to running four marathons in the year Oct 2009 to Oct 2010 :cool:. Not too fussed about the time, just if I could finish them all I'd be delighted. Going well so far, ran Dublin last year (4:10 :)), London in April (4:11 :mad: - but with a stomach bug), Tromso in June (3:52 :D) and booked in for Venice October 25th. (If you don't know Tromso, you should check it out - it's right at the top of Norway where there's 24 hour sunshine and the race is at midnight. Conditions are horrendous too - biting winds and lashing rain - it's awesome!).

So after Tromso in June I've had some problems with shin splints :(. Had to basically knock the running on the head for 6 weeks or so over July/August. Managed to get back running (slow) for two weeks before the Dublin half last weekend. Decided to shoot the lights by my own standards out on the first few miles (I know, I know :o), then ran into problems around mile 6 with the shins. Was fairly knackered too. Slowed down, but the shins got worse. Ended up walking a bit in the last mile - partially the shins and partially cause I was knackered. Finished in 1:52 - which is perfectly respectable (PB is 1:43, so not terrible), but in significant pain :mad:

So now I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to finish this marathon in Venice :confused:. Went for a 6 miler this morning, very slow, and the shins were at me a good bit from about mile 4 onwards. If I rest much more at this stage, I'm worried about having the fitness to get over the line in October. Not fussed about a time in Venice - have accepted that it's not gonna be a PB.

Long read, I know - thanks for reading and appreciate any thoughts :)

Four miles this morning, blinding agony - I'm out :(

Great morning for it though, nice and crisp around the quays, nobody on the streets, overcast but not raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

I started training for the Dublin Marathon in july 07 and ran it in Oct 07...5 HOURS 20 MINS OF HELL....! im since disgusted with my time,i should have put the effort in from that oct or nov and gotten a great reward with a deserved and good time. I suffered so bad. Took six months to re learn to get fast,a five hour shuffle is no marathon

a five hour shuffle is no marathon

Don't say that. You'll upset me. That's my target. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't say that. You'll upset me. That's my target. :o
    There's a difference between a 5 hour marathon for someone who has properly trained for it and normally runs at ~11min/mile pace, and a 5 hour marathon for someone who is completely unprepared, but could do 3:30-4:00 with proper training. One will be a much more pleasant experience than the other.

There's a difference between a 5 hour marathon for someone who has properly trained for it and normally runs at ~11min/mile pace, and a 5 hour marathon for someone who is completely unprepared, but could do 3:30-4:00 with proper training. One will be a much more pleasant experience than the other.

Feeling the love now....;):p

Any cheap wristwatches out there for those waiting to see if they really need a Garmin!?
    Hi jaytobe, any decent stopwatch which supports laps/splits should do the job (along with a pacing band). Timex Ironman watches have been recommended in the past. This one from Argos has support for 30 laps, so you could record all of your splits from the marathon if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

re the shins, have you seen the physio? I wouldnt say you are totally out, let the expert make the call

nearly sure there was a cork to cobh thread on this...cant see link? No real info on BHAA website..

Hi jaytobe, any decent stopwatch which supports laps/splits should do the job (along with a pacing band). Timex Ironman watches have been recommended in the past. This one from Argos has support for 30 laps, so you could record all of your splits from the marathon if you wanted to.
    Nice one...quick question(as Argos were sold ou in Uk and Irl so searched Amazon). ...is a velcro stap better...less sweat, less movement?
    even more choice

Nice one...quick question(as Argos were sold ou in Uk and Irl so searched Amazon). ...is a velcro stap better...less sweat, less movement?
    even more choice
    Sorry, to be honest I don't know a damn thing about Timex watches. Just picked one from the list that was cheaper than the others and had a 30 lap memory. Not a bad idea to use that as your criteria: Cheap, 26+ lap memory, big lap button, etc. The cheapest one in your Amazon list seems to fit the bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

nearly sure there was a cork to cobh thread on this...cant see link? No real info on BHAA website..

Here's the link, it's in the events section http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056023354

nachoqueen wrote: »
    re the shins, have you seen the physio? I wouldnt say you are totally out, let the expert make the call

Thing is though, even if the shins were magically better tomorrow, I haven't run properly in about 2 months. It's getting late to start training and build up the fitness again. Still in a lot of pain though - been seeing the physio regularly, she's banned me from running this week, then I've to do just two short runs next week. So I'll barely have the fitness to finish a marathon I reckon.

Though I suppose I could go over and sure if it takes me six hours so be it (if the shins get better that is).

• Advertisement

Thing is though, even if the shins were magically better tomorrow, I haven't run properly in about 2 months. It's getting late to start training and build up the fitness again. Still in a lot of pain though - been seeing the physio regularly, she's banned me from running this week, then I've to do just two short runs next week. So I'll barely have the fitness to finish a marathon I reckon.

Though I suppose I could go over and sure if it takes me six hours so be it (if the shins get better that is).
    Trust your own judgement. A marathon on zero training (even if walking the distance) is a bad idea, and will likely only increase your woes. Skip it. Start training for Dublin 2011.

Advertisement