Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just started running-Can I run the Dublin Marathon in October?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Anyone know what the average percentage of people who don't finish the marathon is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

mrslow wrote: »
    Anyone know what the average percentage of people who don't finish the marathon is?

2009 - 10413, Males - 7531 , Females - 2882 from 12,500* = 83%
    2008 - 9316, Males - 6495 , Females - 2821 from 11,700* = 80%
    2007 - 8428, Males - 5933 , Females - 2495 from 11,000* = 77%

*estimates from press releases on dublinmarathon.ie

Although the organisers don't seem to list people who retire during the race, I know Barcelona does this for instance and lists the splits up to the point they stopped.

Although the organisers don't seem to list people who retire during the race, I know Barcelona does this for instance and lists the splits up to the point they stopped.

Do those figures include those who didn't turn up on race day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Do those figures include those who didn't turn up on race day?

Thats the problem, they don't I reckon you could take roughly 600/700 people who drop out during the race each year, around 8-10%.

I like the way Barca name and shame the DNF's http://www.barcelonamarato.es/files/abandonos10.pdf

Thats the problem, they don't I reckon you could take roughly 600/700 people who drop out during the race each year, around 8-10%.

I like the way Barca name and shame the DNF's http://www.barcelonamarato.es/files/abandonos10.pdf

That's just mean, pity the dude who was 5k short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spunderbungle

Trust your own judgement. A marathon on zero training (even if walking the distance) is a bad idea, and will likely only increase your woes. Skip it. Start training for Dublin 2011.

Yes, I think you're right - just a bit gutted :(

Going to go for Belfast/Edinburgh/both in May, then Venice/Dublin in October I think. Cheers all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's just mean, pity the dude who was 5k short.
    It's kind of like publishing the tax defaulters list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

"Abandono" sounds so much cooler than "DNF".

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Thats 83% finished in 2009 I assume...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Fortyfoot

Sorry for hijacking thread here....question is a little similar to original question.
    Had expected to be away the BH weekend but now expect to be at home in Dublin and the DCM crossed my mind. Obviously have to enter by Monday but have no long runs in my legs. I know people who are doing 20+ miles regularly and I just don't know if that would be required....I'm not that fussed about a time....but don't want to kill/ injure myself or take 6hrs. Sub 4?
    I've done 39mins for 10k, and 1.34 for HM earlier this year. My main focus for the summer was triathlon and I did a Half-Ironman and an Olympic in September. Olympic distance inclusing 10k run about 2hrs.30 (45minute for 10k), Half-Ironman 5.30 (1:48 for HM)....
    Is it totally unreasonable to just turn up and expect to complete in sub 4?

• Advertisement

Fortyfoot wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking thread here....question is a little similar to original question.
    Had expected to be away the BH weekend but now expect to be at home in Dublin and the DCM crossed my mind. Obviously have to enter by Monday but have no long runs in my legs. I know people who are doing 20+ miles regularly and I just don't know if that would be required....I'm not that fussed about a time....but don't want to kill/ injure myself or take 6hrs. Sub 4?
    I've done 39mins for 10k, and 1.34 for HM earlier this year. My main focus for the summer was triathlon and I did a Half-Ironman and an Olympic in September. Olympic distance inclusing 10k run about 2hrs.30 (45minute for 10k), Half-Ironman 5.30 (1:48 for HM)....
    Is it totally unreasonable to just turn up and expect to complete in sub 4?
    How many marathons have you done previously?
    How many runs over 13 miles have you done in the last two months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Fortyfoot

How many marathons have you done previously?
    How many runs over 13 miles have you done in the last two months?

Sorry - should have been clearer....
    Never done a marathon....never ran further than 13.1 miles and only ever done that twice....both this year. January (1.34), and sept 11th (half-ironman - 1:48)

Fortyfoot wrote: »
    Sorry - should have been clearer....
    Never done a marathon....never ran further than 13.1 miles and only ever done that twice....both this year. January (1.34), and sept 11th (half-ironman - 1:48)
    I'm afraid my response would be to forget about it. Running a marathon, while not hard, is about preparation and unfortunately, triathlon won't translate to running, unless you are covering significantly greater distances during your running training (i.e. substantially more than 13.1). You have in essence done one training run of 13.1 miles in the ramp-up to this marathon. You'll have very high cardio/fitness levels from your recent triathlon training, you just won't have the mileage in the legs. A four hour marathon is about running endurance rather than fitness.

Could you complete the marathon? Most probably. Would it be a pleasant experience? Most definitely not. Do you have a high risk of injury? Yes. Will you end up walking from the 18-20 mile mark? Very likely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm just trying to give you a bit of perspective on what you might be trying to achieve. 20+ mile runs are not required, but they are strongly urged. I'm sure there'll be a few posts shortly, telling you to go for it, but you would be far better off putting all of that positive triathlon training into a Spring 2011 marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

@ FortyFoot, +1 to all of what KC said. You could finish but much better to wait and train properly and not risk a long term injury.

On top of that i'd strongly suggest getting your long runs up to 15-16m for the half iron man's anyway, i find it mad that you havent done 13.1 m in training yet expect to do so in a half ironman with a swim and bike before hand. The 14 min difference between your two times shows this up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

<mod> I'm going to unsticky this thread, as entries have closed for the DM. Judging by the absence of threads from newbies wondering should they enter the DM, I'd say it has served its purpose well, and is something we should try again next year. Copyright still belongs to Peckham;)

Good luck to all first time entrants, by all means continue to post in this thread if you wish, it just won't be at the top of the page any more. /<mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 20 justy

Hi all I have just signed up for the marathon on Sunday evening.I am what you call a newby just started running about a year and a half ago. At that point my leavel of fitness was zero and over weight by about 4 stone. Never intended on running in marathon or races but really enjoyed running. To date I have ran in a number of 10k and 5k 3 half marathon a 26.6 km race in moon co. Kildare and I did one 20mile run two week ago . Here some idea of my times Kildare half 1hr 28 National half 1hr 25 and Dublin half 1hr 23 .50 also for the 26.6k 1hr 54 and last but not least tranning run last week 2hr 20 mins. First question shall I do another long run this week end and have I done enough to get me through my first marathon . I do train 4nights a week doing between 8 miles 10 miles and 12 miles and some speed work 10 by 400 Als what time shall I run for in the marathon thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 justy

That 2hr 20 was my longest run a 20 mle run Thanks justy

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cgi-bin/calc.pl

3.06 according to McMillan pace calculator

Advertisement