Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap tea bags

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Where and what name, Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I liked Tesco own brand tea - around the €2 mark for 80 I think. I switched to decaffeinated, and always used Tesco's brand, but they seem to have stopped stocking it lately.

Dunnes seem to never have their own brand de-caf in stock either. 80 Barry's or Lyons Decaf teabags are about a fiver, yet there's always some deal going on regular tea!

Haven't tried Lidl or Aldi yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks. The problem is I don't drink tea so I need a rave review for cheapy tea but I can recommend Lidl Ground Coffee Melangerie Deluxe ( around €4 for 2x 250g). It's yummy.

€5 for 80 brand name teabags sounds outrageous to me.
    Come on bargainistas - any feedback on non decaf cheapy tea please :)

Ended up finding 120 Bewleys Gold Blend ( includes 50% extra free 120 instead of 80) in Supervalu for €3.06. It's probably horrid right? Still it's not me who will be drinking it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Don't Lidl & Aldi have a 28 day no quibble money back guarantee?
    Wht not try some tea and let us know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I find the cheap brands in Lidl rather harsh, so I'm dunking with care. If you stew your tea it'll strip paint and stain the mug quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

Even if they arent the cheapest, you have to get barrys teabags for a good cup of tea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

thecelt wrote: »
    Even if they arent the cheapest, you have to get barrys teabags for a good cup of tea!!

I concur with this. In an attempt to save money, we tried out Dunnes own brand (reddish box) and St.Bernard (white box). Pure and utter filth in comparison. Barry's or even Lyons are only ones I can drink. Dunnes do have Barry's tea on offer at moment - 160 bag box I think (the largest one) for five euro, a euro off I believe.

This whole Lyons and Barrys thing is interesting. All those ads must work. I have never drank tea - it's yuk :) Will try out the bewleys stuff on a tea drinker and if it's rotten I will try and get the discounted Barry's from Dunnes.

dont bother wasting your money with bewleys, tis water!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Any suggestions for cheap decaffeinated tea, have run out of the supplies I got from Asda and they are very expensive about €5 for 80 bags!

• Advertisement

blobert wrote: »
    Any suggestions for cheap decaffeinated tea, have run out of the supplies I got from Asda and they are very expensive about €5 for 80 bags!

Yes, water might suffice as a replacement. ;)

Grawns wrote: »
    Where and what name, Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl?

Cheers

I'm after getting a strong thumbs up from a commited tea drinker for McGraths Tea from Aldi

You know things are getting tight when you're grabbing at pennies for teabags.

yeah a while back in a moment of madness nearly bought the cheaper tea bags, but when clarity came back, i was like you can deprive yourself of a good cup of tea no matter how bad times are!

Sure didn't the lord himself stop on the cross for a cup of Barry's tea.

After some research I think you'll find it was Lyons

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I think I heard before that supposedly Tesco own brand ones in Irl are barrys -

Don't drink tea myself (coffee only) - however maybe someone could do a taste test.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

As a barrys gold blend tea drinker i can tell u that tesco own brand could not be barrys - they are yuk by comparison!

definitely with you on that one muckety, it has to be barrys gold blend!

My mam buys either Punjana or Tetley - whichever happens to be on special offer. Punjana are the least worst of the two.

But in all honesty, €2.72 for a pack of Lyons is just the best €2.72 you could spend. My advice - cut pennies elsewhere :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So OP did you conclude what the best cheap tea bags are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

Marks and Spencers fair trade tea is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Grawns wrote: »
    I'm after getting a strong thumbs up from a commited tea drinker for McGraths Tea from Aldi

I have a serious tea drinker in my family and she swears by this stuff also, she reckons its fantastic tea for the price.
    I aint a big tea drinker so cant comment on it, but every week i see her buying more and more packets of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Am an ex-Barrys fan purely because i can't justify the price of them.

I used to get them shipped off to me by the folks when i was in OZ,i was that fussy!

Have now safely settled on Punjana after hoarding through other branded variations :pac:and at E1.99 for 80 and it's as good as any imo to the last drop.

I do leave the bag in too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

With the price of Barry's tea bags gone up, I have started to recycle my tea bags to get my moneysworth. Each time I make a cup, I reuse the bag for another two cups. The taste of cheap teas tends to be quite bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

tesco have lyons teabags on offer. 2 euro for 80 teabags. great value and lovely cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Little Fairy

I also use McGraths from Aldi.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think the Lidl ones are grand so long as you don't leave it in too long, yeah.*

*That's what she said...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

the dunnes ones are grand,the white box gonna make a cup now and enjoy a spliff with it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Everybody to their own thing and that but I find Tetleys to be the nicest. Many shops including most Dunnes or Tesco stores have the 80 plus 80 free packet for around 2.80 mark. Expect to pay a few cent more in Tesco no doubt though.

I find Barrys to be quite poor and inconsistent. Tastes like theres a weed in it sometimes or something. As for Tesco's own brand as another poster mentioned they liked them...I think theyre pure gunk!...you just so know you are drinking a budget tea.

Advertisement