Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canceling UTV service

• 10-08-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm with UTV, have been for about 3 months. I've just noticed they recently took 97e out of my account and have never sent me a bill.

They're service is really crappy and I keep loosing the connection and having to reconnect every few minutes. This wouldn't be an issue if I didn't need it for work and every time it cuts out I have to restart all of the connections to my work, thus I don't get any work done really cuz bu the time I restart the connections the UTV connection has gone again.

Anyway, I'm thinking about canceling my service with them. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to go about this to minimise charges? And what will the charges be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

UTVInternet do not reply to cancellation e-mail requests(I have sent them 3 cancellation requests not one reply as yet) they ignore e-mails you are going to need to write a letter giving them 30 days notice of your intention to cancel to their Managing Director(outline your reasons for cancelling) send it by registered post and keep a copy of the letter.

They will charge you €60.00 Euros to cancel for giving you an unreliable bad service.

Are you on there 8MB Uncongested Next Generation Broadband with 40GB download cap for €19.99 Euros too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    UTVInternet do not reply to cancellation e-mail requests(I have sent them 3 cancellation requests not one reply as yet) they ignore e-mails you are going to need to write a letter giving them 30 days notice of your intention to cancel to their Managing Director(outline your reasons for cancelling) send it by registered post and keep a copy of the letter.

They will charge you €60.00 Euros to cancel for giving you an unreliable bad service.

Are you on there 8MB Uncongested Next Generation Broadband with 40GB download cap for €19.99 Euros too?
    Thank you. I'll do that.

Thats not as steep as I was thinking it would be, I was thinking they'd make me pay a couple of hundred or something.

Nope, I'm on their 3MB bundle as my line can only handle 1.5MB(in theory). I think I'll try mobile broadband for a while till I get my own place and stop renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

I'm just adding my two cents, as it were :

I've been with UTV for several years and have been on their 7.6mb option since it became available.

Last month I asked to switch to their "Next Gen" 8mb option and was told it would start on August 1.

My speed dropped dramatically on July 29 - the date they switched me - but they've been unable to resolve the problem since.

Today I was told that, although my exchange is 8mb enabled, my line is not and I can NEVER get the 8mb option on my line.

I emailed them today to ask for my UAN (universal account number) because I've been checking out other services available in my area and this UAN is showing up BLANK when I log in to my online account.

I didn't tell them why I wanted it, simply could I please have it.

--- Just now I've received an email from them saying that someone from their "Cancellations Team" will call me within 2 days to proceed with my account cancellation!

I don't want to cancel as I've no other option in this area really - I'm definately not going back to Eircom.

The email states that I'll be charged €29.99 "Termination Fee" and I'll also have to pay another month subscription, which I feel is unfair...

I've been with UTV for several years and have been on their 7.6mb option since it became available.

Last month I asked to switch to their "Next Gen" 8mb option and was told it would start on August 1.

My speed dropped dramatically on July 29 - the date they switched me - but they've been unable to resolve the problem since.

Today I was told that, although my exchange is 8mb enabled, my line is not and I can NEVER get the 8mb option on my line.

I emailed them today to ask for my UAN (universal account number) because I've been checking out other services available in my area and this UAN is showing up BLANK when I log in to my online account.

--- Just now I've received an email from them saying that someone from their "Cancellations Team" will call me within 2 days to proceed with my account cancellation!

I don't want to cancel as I've no other option in this area really - I'm definately not going back to Eircom.

The email states that I'll be charged €29.99 "Termination Fee" and I'll also have to pay another month subscription, which I feel is unfair...
    >>>>>

I have cancelled by registered letter as they ignored my e-mail requests
    You will get a telephone call from UTV Internet from a blocked number from
    a person who not give you their full name and want you to reconsider cancelling.

Your rights contact http://www.eccireland.ie/
    I think UTVInternet say in their Terms & Conditions that the contact is excluded from the EU Distance Selling Regulations let me know how you get on?
    How do you pay them direct debit or credit card?

kiddums wrote: »
    Thank you. I'll do that.

Thats not as steep as I was thinking it would be, I was thinking they'd make me pay a couple of hundred or something.

Nope, I'm on their 3MB bundle as my line can only handle 1.5MB(in theory). I think I'll try mobile broadband for a while till I get my own place and stop renting.

You need to contact the European Consumer Office in Dublin
    explain your situation

>>>>>
    You need to contact and explain your situation

>>>>>

• Advertisement

>>>>>

I have cancelled by registered letter as they ignored my e-mail requests
    You will get a telephone call from UTV Internet from a blocked number from
    a person who not give you their full name and want you to reconsider cancelling.

I think UTVInternet say in their Terms & Conditions that the contact is excluded from the EU Distance Selling Regulations let me know how you get on?
    How do you pay them direct debit or credit card?

Thanks for that website, John.

--- I pay Direct Debit ---

I've been with them for years and I've not had many problems.

I don't want to cancel - I just asked them for my Universal Account Number.

I'll let you know what they say when they call.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks for that website, John.

--- I pay Direct Debit ---

I've been with them for years and I've not had many problems.

I don't want to cancel - I just asked them for my Universal Account Number.

I'll let you know what they say when they call.

If you pay by direct debit (ah my favourite hate object) and if they have taken money without permission/notice then you should complain to your bank immediately and insist that they organise a refund for you.

Remember your bank has a huge role to play in the dd system and under the so called dd guarantee scheme (which sadly is nothing of the sort) you are entitled to have this amount refunded. You should also insist that your bank make a formal complaint to UTV's bank about their behaviour. You really also should ring IPSO as they are the people responsible overall for the travesty that is the direct debit system and think it is wonderful. (It is for companies and banks but not the bill payer).

http://www.ipso.ie/section/DirectDebits - (01) 2843409

Thank you. I'll do that.

Remember their terms and conditions are available on their website.

http://www.utvinternet.com/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/legal_information.asp#cancellationLinkButton

If it is the case that UTV make it as difficult as possible to leave then that really is a sad come down from the time when they were a really innovative isp who offered excellent customer service. Surely the way to hold on to a customer is through good products and service not because they cant leave?:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    Remember their terms and conditions are available on their website.

http://www.utvinternet.com/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/legal_information.asp#cancellationLinkButton

If it is the case that UTV make it as difficult as possible to leave then that really is a sad come down from the time when they were a really innovative isp who offered excellent customer service. Surely the way to hold on to a customer is through good products and service not because they cant leave?:rolleyes:
    Thanks for that, I couldn't find them myself.

I have check and I have not recieved a bill in any form from them, or account login information for their website but they still took 97e out of my account.

Ill' make it easy, I'll give my 30 days notice, return the modem and cancell the direct debit. What can they do then? I'll send my notice in writing by registered post so I'll have proof of when I cancelled. After 30 days I'm free, its up to them to cut off the service not for me to chase them up to do so. They'll soon cut me off when payments stop.

Thanks for that, I couldn't find them myself.

I have check and I have not recieved a bill in any form from them, or account login information for their website but they still took 97e out of my account.

Ill' make it easy, I'll give my 30 days notice, return the modem and cancell the direct debit. What can they do then? I'll send my notice in writing by registered post so I'll have proof of when I cancelled. After 30 days I'm free, its up to them to cut off the service not for me to chase them up to do so. They'll soon cut me off when payments stop.

Did you ask them what the 97e was for? And are you sure they never gave you any account information?

• Advertisement

Did you ask them what the 97e was for? And are you sure they never gave you any account information?
    I can't phone 1890 numbers from work so I'll have to dig up another number for them or phone them later about that.

Does anyone have another number for their admin service?

I'm sure, I've recieved 3 letters from them and the modem, thats it. One letter to confirm the direct debit is set up, and two stating different companies as the brodaband provider. (Pure and Buzz telecom).

I got a call from UTV to complete my "cancellation request"

I told the guy that I never asked for the account to be cancelled and he told me that "according to the notes on your account - you did"

After a bit of arguing he accepted that all I asked for was my UAN (Universal Account Number) and he reluctantly gave it to me.

He commented that I wouldn't need my UAN unless I was "moving to an alternate provider"

I told him that I simply wanted it - which is the truth - and, once I mentioned Comreg, whose website states a company MUST give you your UAN if you ask for it, he gave it to my straight away . . .

--- The account won't be cancelled but he did remind me that if I do switch to another provider, I must give UTV 30 days notice because the company I switch to WILL NOT give the notice.

I'd also have to pay the €29.99 "leaving UTV fine" if I decide to switch from them.

Ok so I just got off the phone with UTV, finally.
    As I have only been a customer for 4 months and am wanting to cancel I will have to pay the line rental charges till the end of the 12 months, which is 230e, as well as a cancelation charge of 60e for the broadband.

Is this right? can they really charge someone 290e for wanting to cancel?

I have to wait for someone in the cancelation team to call me back about it.

Ok so I just got off the phone with UTV, finally.
    As I have only been a customer for 4 months and am wanting to cancel I will have to pay the line rental charges till the end of the 12 months, which is 230e, as well as a cancelation charge of 60e for the broadband.

Is this right? can they really charge someone 290e for wanting to cancel?

I have to wait for someone in the cancelation team to call me back about it.
    >>>>>>>>>>
    1/Wanting to cancel for what reason exactly?
    2/Did you telephone them or visa versa?
    3/Have they confirmed this in writing to you?

>>>>>>>>>>
    1/Wanting to cancel for what reason exactly?
    2/Did you telephone you them or visa versa?
    3/Have they confirmed this in writing to you?
    1/ Several reasons: I'm moving house, their service is not suitable for my need, They can't even sent me an email with my bill, their customer service is practically non exisant. Take your pick really.
    2/ I phoned them, and the cancelation team is to call me. But I'll probably need to call them myself too.
    3/ They've confirmed very little to me in writing. Just that they have my details for direct debit and they couldn't get the money for a bill. Thats all I've ever got from them other than the modem.

1/ Several reasons: I'm moving house, their service is not suitable for my need, They can't even sent me an email with my bill, their customer service is practically non exisant. Take your pick really.
    2/ I phoned them, and the cancelation team is to call me. But I'll probably need to call them myself too.
    3/ They've confirmed very little to me in writing. Just that they have my details for direct debit and they couldn't get the money for a bill. Thats all I've ever got from them other than the modem.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Contact Eamonn on his Mobile from IrelandoffLine.org
    http://irelandoffline.org/contact-io/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Contact Eamonn on his Mobile from IrelandoffLine.org
    http://irelandoffline.org/contact-io/
    Thanks for that. I've left a message for him on the forum and I'll give him a call when I get a chance this afternoon.
    Thats where I found out about the 60e cancelation fee for the broadband. Its the 230e to get rid of the line thats the issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Glad of the info in this thread, I'm hoping to cancel my account with them this week and hope theres no stress....... am I mad going with UPC though?:rolleyes:

Gridlock wrote: »
    Glad of the info in this thread, I'm hoping to cancel my account with them this week and hope theres no stress....... am I mad going with UPC though?:rolleyes:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    How are you cancelling?
    How long have you been in contract with UTV Internet?

Is there anything wrong with the service they are providing you with?
    You have to give them 30 Days Advance Notice Of Termination are the only Isp to require this lenght of time.

UPC Internet if you happen to be in their Fibre BB Catchment your very lucky indeed.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I've been with UTV for the last 3 years and although I was happy with them they are quite expensive, almost twice the cost of UPC for an inferior package and the signal has been atrocious for the last couple of months.
    I will be sending them an email and letter of intention as is required, will also fill out a porting form. UPC completely upgraded the cables in my area so hoping this will lead to good quality connection.

Advertisement